Duke4.net Forums: Monsters behavior issue - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monsters behavior issue

User is offline   Anvil 

Within striking distance, the monsters sometimes just walk toward the player instead of shooting him, which make it very easy to kill them.
Any code to fix it?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's not controlled by a global variable or anything simple like that. You have to go into the script for each monster and change code in several different places to make them behave differently.

It's been a while since I've plugged one of my old mods, but...if you try DukePlus and turn on the "advanced AI" option, you will see a big difference.

I don't think the behavior of the monsters is necessarily bad, by the way. It makes it possible to fight many of them at once, and to do things like time their animations so that you duck behind a while before they shoot.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Unlike Doom, which probably of the enemy attacking increase the closer they are to you, it's a constant in Duke 3D.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 13 May 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

Unlike Doom, which probably of the enemy attacking increase the closer they are to you, it's a constant in Duke 3D.

There's lots of places in the code where Duke monsters check the player distance and behave differently depending on it. But in most cases, it doesn't make them more effective. Check LIZTROOP, for example. If the player is close when he (the liztroop) is done firing, he will flee or run backwards rather than just fire again. It gives them more personality but it's not the most effective behavior when it comes to killing the player.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options