Duke4.net Forums: Some Animations Not Playing In Polymer - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some Animations Not Playing In Polymer

User is offline   deuxsonic 

An example of this is are the film reels on the projector in e1m1. This includes skies like the storm sky in e4m1 that should be animated.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdeuxsonic, on 10 May 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

An example of this is are the film reels on the projector in e1m1. This includes skies like the storm sky in e4m1 that should be animated.

Confirmed. Using the latest snapshot, (r5718), the film reels do not animate in Polymer. They do animate in Polymost. Tested using vanilla game without HRP or other add-ons.

It isn't a new bug, it's been around a while and was one of the reasons I avoided Polymer (the invisible surfaces bug being the main reason) except that now Polymost is buggier than Polymer so I switched. I've noticed it with the Hotel Hell sign, the US flag sprite, the vent fan among what seems to be potentially anything. Some instances will actually work as intended and then others in the same map will not.

I'm also noticing that some animations do not line up all of the frames. An example is the dog that wags it's tail and the intermission screen. If a sprite has a transparent part and it's lying on the floor, the transparent part is actually drawn as the sky. The z-fighting I'm starting to see in Polymer as well.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 11 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

User is offline   Mark 

IIRC the Hotel and Alleycat Lounge neon signs animate in Mapster but not in game. HRP and Polymer.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 May 2016 - 03:17 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 10 May 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

I wondered why this wasn't working PolymerNG. Since I copied a lot of logic from Polymer, it makes sense now that this is a existing bug. Is there anything special about this particular animation?

View Posticecoldduke, on 12 May 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

I wondered why this wasn't working PolymerNG. Since I copied a lot of logic from Polymer, it makes sense now that this is a existing bug. Is there anything special about this particular animation?

Not that I know of. It's the earliest example of an animation in the game that consistently will not play under Polymer and it's been that way for a long time now. The US and California flags in e4l6 also do not animate. When I just tested e3l3 the Alley Cat sign animated, and on e3l8 the Hotel/Hel sign animated.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 12 May 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Not that I know of. It's the earliest example of an animation in the game that consistently will not play under Polymer and it's been that way for a long time now. The US and California flags in e4l6 also do not animate. When I just tested e3l3 the Alley Cat sign animated, and on e3l8 the Hotel/Hel sign animated.

is it only wall animations that aren't animating? Is it possible the other exampels you mentioned that worked are just "wall sprites", and the e1l1 theatre projection example is a wall with a animated texture?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posticecoldduke, on 12 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

is it only wall animations that aren't animating? Is it possible the other exampels you mentioned that worked are just "wall sprites", and the e1l1 theatre projection example is a wall with a animated texture?

It looks like you may be right. To test, I went into E4L6 with the map editor, and I made a copy of one of the flag sprites that was not animating. But my copy I gave a cstat of 0, instead of being wall-aligned like the original. In-game, the wall-aligned sprite would not animate, but my copy did animate.

So yes, it seems to have something to do with the sprites being wall-aligned.

I'm guessing that's why some vent fans animate and some don't then...

User is offline   Mark 

same with the neon signs

Right, sometimes people use them as sprites where in E3L3 and E3L8 they're used as textures. Same thing with the fans, sometimes they're used as a texture like on the A/C unit on top of the building in E3L3 but other times to cover vent ducts.

Playing through user maps and even in Polymer the z-fighting between sprites and walls is really bad. People like to make security screens that give you codes for doors and stuff and sometimes most or all of the screen appears blank of sprites.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 13 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options