Duke4.net Forums: idTech 4 "Community Developers Kit" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

idTech 4 "Community Developers Kit"

This is a very old project of mine(something I worked on 4-5 years ago) that may or may not interest people on this forum(since you guys work in build mostly). I had this post in a couple places, but I figured it would be best just to make a new topic. I don't plan on supporting this at all; I'm posting it here because I have got 10-12 e-mails in the past month about this project, and I think a few are from people here, so I'm starting a new topic on it. I'm focused exclusively on PolymerNG, as time allows I'll try to help out anyone that wants to use this code, but I can't promise anything.

*Original Post*

I've had a couple people e-mail me about my old idtech 4 work; about 4 or 5 years ago I worked on a project called the Doom 3 "Community Developers Kit", were I added a whole bunch of stuff to idTech 4 including Virtual Texturing and a half assed Mega Texturing system. I added new editor frontends which was all done in c# that ran on top of the old mfc code. It included a meh terrain painting tool and the engine could load I think 32k or 64k "megatextures".

Its here for reference if anyone is doing any idtech work.

IdTech 4 Community Dev Kit github
id Tech 4 CDK Virtual Texture code

Be gentle, I wasn't going for pretty when I made this, I just wanted to make the tech :angry:.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 29 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I remember this from the old Doom 3 modding forums. Did you finish it? How useable is it?

User is offline   leilei 

Maybe you can revamp it with this recently released improved forkoff.

View PostTea Monster, on 29 April 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

I remember this from the old Doom 3 modding forums. Did you finish it? How useable is it?

This is unfinished work. Looking back at some of the code, I definitely see a bunch of "what the fuck was I thinking" in a bunch of places. That being said there are easy optimizations that could be done to 2x the framerate. In my opinion the code as it stands should be used as a reference point for engineers, rather then making a game off of. The virtual texture code isn't bad, needs optimization. The shadow code, and the lighting code are garbage. The editor modifications might be worth while to use. The FBX model support is worth moving over to another idtech project to avoid using md5, there are bunch more changes that I did that I haven't eval'ed yet.

I know of a few projects that are currently using my code for some free open source games, everyone is welcome to use it.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 29 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

What do I need to do to use the mods I create in DOOM 3 with the BFG edition?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 29 April 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

What do I need to do to use the mods I create in DOOM 3 with the BFG edition?

What I did was I would compile the Doom 3 BFG source code and run with loose Doom 3 assets. This required a few code modifications to work. I found on the internet my old Doom 3 BFG Tool integration work I did. I remember at one point I got all the tools to work properly, but I can't remember if I uploaded the final code or not.

Anyway I found on my "Doom3BFGCleanWithEditor3" on someones google drive, and uploaded it to my github:

Doom 3 BFG With Tools 3 Github

So what you need to do is the following:
1) Download and compile the source code.
2) Extract all the Doom 3 assets from the pak files into the base folder.
3) Download the Doom 3 BFG source code and grab the shaders, copy those into the base folder.
4) Run.

Then you should be able to type worldstudio in the console to open the editor, and make maps for Doom 3 using the Doom 3 bfg code.

To run mods, you can't use mod folders anymore(to my knowledge), you have to extract all the assets into the base and manage all that nonsense yourself.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 29 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

So if I just dump all the mod stuff out into base with BFG, will it read the files?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 30 April 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

So if I just dump all the mod stuff out into base with BFG, will it read the files?

No you have to extract the files out of the BFG packages first, then extract the mod data from the pk5 files, and it should work.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options