Duke4.net Forums: John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS  "Announcement April 25th at 11 am EDT"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

John Romero and Adrian Carmack are re-teaming to make a new first-person shooter. It's being developed by Night Work Games in Galway, Ireland (reduced taxes and Guinness?). Here's the teaser video:

Since 2 Player Productions made the Return video, I guess we'll be seeing a Fig campaign next week.

On April 25th at 11 am EDT, the full details of Night Work’s upcoming game will be revealed. Since the release of The Return, there has been much speculation. We sincerely hope it is precisely what you’ve been hoping to play. Consider checking out HOXAR’s website for a bit more information (from the future as it may be). Look for news at your favorite game sites and follow John’s Twitter feed.

LIVE TWITCH STREAM APRIL 25TH
12 PM Eastern / 9 AM Pacific

Following the game announcement, John and Adrian will be live on Twitch to answer your questions. You can tune in on John’s Twitch channel at 12 pm EDT.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 22 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

User is offline   leilei 

Who says it'll be a classic FPS? It could be a Hyperspace Delivery Boy!! 2 reboot in a moba form for all we know

Remember, Quake was going to be a RPG.

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

View Postleilei, on 22 April 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Who says it'll be a classic FPS? It could be a Hyperspace Delivery Boy!! 2 reboot for all we know

I don't know about "classic," but it's definitely a new FPS. Romero said so.

I can't promise what kind of maps I'll be making. I've never made a Heretic map. I'm warming up to making all the maps for my new FPS. All of them.

More details from back in January.

After time at studios including Ion Storm, Midway and Slipgate Ironworks throughout the 2000s, Romero opened a new outlet, Romero Games, with his partner Brenda Romero in 2014, and announced that he had begun work on a new shooter.

Earlier this month, John released a reworking of the E1M8 boss level from Doom, which he later revealed was built as a design ‘warmup’ before developing his new title.

“I don't want to talk about it because it's a really cool idea, it's a unique idea,” he said. “I've never seen a game like it.

“I'm really excited to start making it because it's just a great idea. Instead of just pumping out game after game after game, it's like waiting to come up with something that's really unique, that no-one's seen before, and enables you to make something that you hope will be really amazing. So, we'll see. It's got a pretty cool fiction around it. It's got an interesting story.”

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 22 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

They begun in 2014, yet it also sounds like they only just began actually creating it this year; if this leads to a Kickstarter or Fig campaign for a project that has barely anything to show just yet, I will be slightly upset, and I love Romero and his work, but he doesn't have the best track record when it comes to running a studio with funds.
However, I am way more than happy to be proven wrong, its fucking John god damn Romero

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 22 April 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

snip

Agreed. I will be shocked if its not a Fig campaign. Brian Fargo (co-owner of the platform) has been Tweeting about Romero's "return." It's definitely been a long time since Romero made a game I liked (15 years, if you include his work on Anachronox). Still, I'm excited to see what Adrian Carmack's involvement amounts to. I haven't heard anything about him since he sued id back in 2005. Out of retirement I guess. I'm really hoping for a singleplayer title.

Romero's recent Doom let's plays have been really cool, especially the Double Fine 2015 videos.

Adrian actually owns a five star hotel in Ireland.
Will be very exciting to see how his art looks in current technology

Good times! Good to have John back in the mix, this should be worth a look!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This could be worth watching out for. Daikatana was like 15 years ago and a guy is defined by much more than one failed title.

Tom Hall anyone?

Until I see some game I can't judge anything, but maybe I'll observe this as more news appears in the future... Assuming it doesn't drop off the radar and disappear.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

It seems like Daikatana was the last major project that Romero was associated with (everything after the Monkeystone stuff seemed to never materialize.) I'm not sure what Adrian has been doing since he was forced out of id a decade ago. They're both extremely talented so it'd be interesting to see what they would come up with after all this time. Just need Tom Hall and John Carmack really and you'd have the second coming of id.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 22 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Wasn't Romero talking about MMO elements and what not? If this going to be another F2P microtransactions based game...count me out. The same if it is subscription based or the like.

There are enough development studios and publishers selling games in tiny expensive pieces, no need for another one.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 22 April 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Wasn't Romero talking about MMO elements and what not? If this going to be another F2P microtransactions based game...count me out. The same if it is subscription based or the like.

The MMO was his 2012 FPS, which has been postponed in favor of pursuing whatever this particular FPS is.

“I actually had an idea for a shooter before this one, and it's still a really great idea, and it might be something that I do after this one,” he detailed.

“This is a totally different idea to the previous one, and a lot of it has to do with the way that I wanted to design a new shooter. I'm not going to talk about the previous one either, because I want to do that one.”

Brenda revealed: “We have some concept art from the previous one. We were looking at it recently and it's as if one idea showed up and then another– nothing, there's nothing I can say.”

A couple of years ago, Romero was about to start talking about his shooter project on a 2014 Gamescom Joystiq podcast, briefly mentioning that he was "working with a concept artist" and had "some cool imagery for the main character. I haven't made a shooter since 2000. So I'm basically starting to work on another one," before his wife Brenda Romero (of Wizardry-fame) jumped in to protect him from repeating some of Daikatana's biggest mistakes: announcing too early and promising too much.

A Guardian story from January this year features a brief discussion with Romero about his remade e1m8 map, which seems to indicate this is a separate project the 2012/2014 (MMO) game:

The question is really why Romero has returned to the game after over two decades. “I’m at the beginning of a new FPS game design,” he explains, “and wanted to start getting into the level design process again. I figured Doom was a good place to start.”

From the developer's homepage.

A NEW FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER IS BEING BUILT AT NIGHT WORK GAMES LTD. IN GALWAY, IRELAND... Night Work Games Ltd. is the dark and violent subsidiary of Romero Games Ltd

He's always been a fantastic level designer, and he deserves respect for supporting so many teams across the years pursue risky projects (Anachronox, Deus Ex, Heretic, Hexen & Rune). I hope he makes something awesome.

User is offline   MetHy 

That video is putting the devs at the front row, as some kind of rockstar status, before the game itself. Isn't that a mistake Romero's already made ?

Anyway by the looks of it this won't be a AAA billion dollars budget game.

In the recent years a lot of major FPS promised us a return to classic FPS gameplay. So far it has never fully happened but there were influences, elements, in those games.
Now, I don't think we've seen the end of that trend yet, and between Bombshell and this, we might just be setting a return for classic style FPS.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostMetHy, on 22 April 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

That video is putting the devs at the front row, as some kind of rockstar status, before the game itself. Isn't that a mistake Romero's already made ?

Anyway by the looks of it this won't be a AAA billion dollars budget game.

It's not going to be even close to a AAA budget. They're likely crowd-funding the game, and those campaign's are used to prove the market still wants a particular kind of game to potential investors to kick in the rest of the development costs.

These campaigns, the one's that have goals in excess of 300k, require a combination of nostalgia and known names to meet the initial goal. After the initial 2012 honeymoon phase, all the biggest KS success stories are either sequels or spiritual sequels: Shenmue 3, Bloodstained, Torment, and Pillars, from well-known studios or developers. That teaser video is just playing up Romero's image, the same way the Castlevania guy's pitch was him hanging out in a castle or Tim Schafer's was being funny.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 22 April 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

the same way the Castlevania guy's pitch was him hanging out in a castle

Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that. I was very excited about this but now that we've seen the first images and videos, I can't stand the graphical style.
But it is indeed a good example alike the game ITT.

I hate this new way of using crowdfunding. Crowdfunding was made as a way to fund a project without having to go with the common investors, and their demands.

Now, it's become a tool to convince those investors to back up a project. I feel like the investors don't do their jobs (they are supposed to estimate the risk/reward ratio of a project...) and that the "crowd" is getting screwed.

It's what happened to Bloodstained, IIRC they pleged 10 times more than they asked for, something like more than 5million dollars, even though it was just supposed to be a small amount to convince investors.
So in the end with such a sum, they shouldn't even need to be backed up by those investors, but I can bet they are anyway.
Are they really going to use up all that way for that one game?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 April 2016 - 10:22 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMetHy, on 22 April 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

In the recent years a lot of major FPS promised us a return to classic FPS gameplay. So far it has never fully happened but there were influences, elements, in those games.
Now, I don't think we've seen the end of that trend yet, and between Bombshell and this, we might just be setting a return for classic style FPS.

I guess with Romero mentioning his E1M8 remake as a 'warmup', we might actually get a return of one of the overlooked or often promised FPS elements in all the current throwback titles: classic level design. Here's hoping.

What about that time when Romero tried to make an arena-style FPS?

It was cancelled in 2008, but I'm interested in seeing what his take on the genre would be like, especially now with all the fallout from the Doom Open Beta. Oh, and more deathmatch maps by Romero too since there was only two made by him for Quake (DM3: The Abandoned Base and DM7: Acrophobia) and only DM3 was officially released (DM7 was finished up by an Ion Storm employee and released online later).

Hopefully the new title will be good enough to wash away all the negative associations with robo-frogs from him. I used to believe it was just disappointed people being hyperbolic, then I saw this.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 23 April 2016 - 01:26 PM

User is online   Lunick 

LOVE ME
Posted Image

Countdown to the announcement:
Posted Image

Romero tweeted to a site that explores the ARG and provides some background on their FPS project. Looking forward to seeing what Adrian Carmack's art looks like now.

User is offline   Malgon 

I don't know what Romero has in store for us, but I have to say that I'm a little bit excited. I wish I could stay up and see the announcement, but it's getting pretty late here. Fingers crossed it's going to be something special!

Its a kickstarter
https://www.kickstar...?ref=nav_search

Romero himself is designing every level

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 25 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Aside from the fact that it's a kickstarter,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, Youtube trailer:

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 25 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

"Are you going to make us your bitch again?
How about we just make you all a game"

View PostPikaCommando, on 25 April 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

Aside from the fact that it's a kickstarter,

Posted Image

I've got a bad feeling about this.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 25 April 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Why?

View PostPikaCommando, on 25 April 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

Why?

Mostly because of the workload. Romero was a level designer for Doom and Quake but he never did the majority of the levels, and he hasn't really done anything much in the ways of designing lately as far as I know, except for that Doom map of course. But designing a Doom level is peanuts compared to designing an appealing map in Unreal 4 I'd imagine.
To me this looks like a project that's a bit too large for a two man team to tackle.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 25 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostDoom64hunter, on 25 April 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Mostly because of the workload. Romero was a level designer for Doom and Quake but he never did the majority of the levels, and he hasn't really done anything much in the ways of designing lately as far as I know, except for that Doom map of course. But designing a Doom level is peanuts compared to designing an appealing map in Unreal 4 I'd imagine.
To me this looks like a project that's a bit too large for a two man team to tackle.

I don't think it is just them; Romero is the Game Lead as well as sole Level Designer, and Adrian is the Art Director, implying there are/will be more employees working on it.
Also, Romero probably shouldn't have a large team, a much smaller ~10 person team should be about the sweet spot.
I also don't think we even know what engine this is in? I see Unreal 4 in the FAQ

(stolen from Doomworld about the live stream that happened)

* Winter 2018 means December 2018.
* Engine: UE4
* The game doesn't exist yet, just ideas
* The development will start if they hit $700k

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 25 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options