Duke4.net Forums: John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS  "Announcement April 25th at 11 am EDT"

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Yeah... a Demo is a brilliant idea... before you mention ANYTHING at all.
Asking 700K to start a game without even a mock-up is an unwise idea to me.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Romero thinks the demo and KS relaunch is around 1-2 months away. It won't be a full level, rather a vertical slice to demonstrate the kind of gameplay they're aiming for.

“We know the only reason why it wouldn’t is because we didn’t show gameplay. And they’ve told us that. We’re not in a massive rush to hurry up, get all the money and start making the game – we want to do it right. So we’ll stop the fundraising for now, finish the demo we’re working on and then do it again. If they don’t like that, then we don’t make that game – but we think they will like it.”

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

BlackDooM? :angry:

View PostCage, on 29 April 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

I was thinking that Romero learned his lessons over time and I really wanted the guy to have another chance at a high profile first person shooter. Now this seems like a typical young-Romero style bad planning and premature ejaculation announcement.

A lot of the old-guard developers have no earthly idea how Kickstarter works and often nearly fumble due to it. We almost didn't get that new Descent game that we wanted because of that.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I wouldn't give him a fucking dime until he shows some damn gameplay. Romero runs his mouth too much and hasn't delivered in two decades.

That said though, I really dig the concept, and having Romero make all the levels sounds rad as fuck.

View Postleilei, on 25 April 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Getting a Mass Effect/Hard Reset/Bombshell/MattHazard generic shooter vibe from this. Makes me wonder if it was worth getting the reclusive adrian carmack back in the saddle again to make a game starring notCommanderShepard

We'll see, can't say i'm hyped for it though. Romero has this old habit of overselling concepts to a higher ambition (way before Daikatana) so it's all grain of salt until release to me. SomeDEgameREdesignersKScan'tMAeverRTchange.

Derek Smart, DEREK SMART, DEREK SMART!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 01 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostCarl Winslow, on 30 April 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

A lot of the old-guard developers have no earthly idea how Kickstarter works and often nearly fumble due to it. We almost didn't get that new Descent game that we wanted because of that.

I think it's kind of messed up because Overload has Matt and Mike who came up with the idea of Descent but they're not the team with the name.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Where's my fucking demo, JOHN

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

John Romero's about to make you his demo.

Three months now
Where's my fucking demo, JOHN

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Has he made any statement about the project at all since the Kickstarter funding had been "paused"? Would be nice to know what they are actually doing right now... I had invested quite some bucks into this! xD

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

He's probably busy waxing his brand new Ferrari Pontiac Fiero.

Four months now
Where's my fucking demo, JOHN ROMERO

Every time this is bumped I think there's news.

I'll stop bumping it until there's news then :D

View PostHulkNukem, on 02 September 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'll stop bumping it until there's news then :D

Nah, bump away! :D

I quickly checked to see if Romero was still taking about the game in any form. Honestly, I figured it was dead, and while it's likely it will never see the light of day, Romero was talking about Blackroom status just a couple of weeks ago with Gamereactor.

"So we basically paused the campaign because people wanted to see a gameplay demo, so the game's not on pause because we've been making the gameplay demo and so it's looking really good and we're going to...

"I'm not sure when we can show it because there are other people involved in the decision-making process now, so we have not tried to make a decision about who and when we can show it, but we are still making the game and it is turning out really good and we're excited to put together a video, and someone's going to be seeing, but I'm not sure who".

Glad to hear its not dead!
Sounds like they might've found a publisher of some sort?

Exciting news! After years of development, John Romero's newest game has just released on Steam!

http://store.steampo....com/app/586310

User is online   Mark 

Mr. Tibbs is gonna smack you when he sees this. :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

Well since it wasn't me that bumped it and won't be murdered by Mr. Tibbs, I can post this now:

View PostMarphy Black, on 29 January 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

Exciting news! After years of development, John Romero's newest game has just released on Steam!

http://store.steampo....com/app/586310

His kid designed it, and the game is actally really neat, been playing it on my phone today a bit. There's enough shooting and gore in it to pass for a legit Romero game :P

• Honored Donor

It may be neat, but does it have a demo? He promised a demo! Posted Image

Oh well, you know how those Kickstarters usually go. Be thankful that there's a game at all!

• Honored Donor

Do we know for sure whether he's abandoned the FPS idea? This might have been a quick side project to earn some extra cash during development.

Then again the initial momentum from the reveal has long since fizzled out and it'd be relatively hard to recapture that.

Considering the game he revealed was basically Daikatana 2 and the campaign itself was hideous (achievements for tweeting about the project???), I kinda doubt he will make another stab at it. He didn't even mentioned it again :P Also, is it just me, or is the whole "crowdfunding games" slowing down in volume, after so many disappointments and devs facing their own limitations?

I said something about in the Post thread and got answers; Romero can't talk about it but they are still working on it.
He had an interview last November and he mentioned it.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostCryptKiller, on 29 January 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Considering the game he revealed was basically Daikatana 2 and the campaign itself was hideous (achievements for tweeting about the project???), I kinda doubt he will make another stab at it. He didn't even mentioned it again :P Also, is it just me, or is the whole "crowdfunding games" slowing down in volume, after so many disappointments and devs facing their own limitations?

Crowdfunding in general has slowed down for a very long time now. These days you typically need to have the product fully designed and partially completed to prove you're capable of pulling it off and be asking for a relatively small amount. Interceptor's Rad Rodgers is an example of a recent kickstarter that met these requirements and did well. You certainly don't get anywhere with a concept these days. Of course there are always exceptions.

View PostCryptKiller, on 29 January 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

I wouldn't say most crowdfunded games are disappointments. Most of my favorite games the past few years were crowdfunded games. But overall funding for them is drying up. People are impatient and games take years to develop. When SC had its funding campaign I said it might honestly take 6-7 years to see a full, proper release. SWTOR took 6 years for their initial launch, and they started with an existing MMO engine and a huge company in place for development. CIG had to hire up and create studios, create an MMO engine from scratch, design lore from scratch, raise money, do tons of public community management and also develop a game that aims to be more ambitious than any project in history.

And people are saying that if they're not 100% down in four years that this is now some scandal and travesty.

But projects are developed behind closed doors and take 6-7 years no one knows, so no one complains.

But board games are doing quite well on Kickstarter because people don't have to wait so long for them after they back them. Usually people go to Kickstarter with a complete board game, with finished art work, rules, etc. and they just need the funds to actually print the game.

He moved to Ireland now? How many times is this guy gonna keep reinventing himself? What a fascinating creature.

In our first episode of Noclip Profiles we travel to Ireland to talk to John Romero about his incredible career making some of the most influential first person shooters of all time. We learn about his young passion for programming, the reasons he left id Software and what he hopes to achieve with his new life in Galway.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

John Romero, in, in... IN GALWAY????

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options