Duke4.net Forums: Looking for a map... - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a map...  "I remember how it looks like, but forgot the name"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postnecroslut, on 18 March 2021 - 08:15 AM, said:

know this is super vague, but maybe it rings a bell with someone.

It kinda does, actually, yeah. Unfortunately I can't quite place it either. If it was a TC, do you have a gut feeling about how old or new the TC was?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 March 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

It kinda does, actually, yeah. Unfortunately I can't quite place it either. If it was a TC, do you have a gut feeling about how old or new the TC was?

I think it was an older one, though it could be it was just made in a "classic" style. Or at least that is how I remember it. It wasn't something I played "back in the day" though, just in the past couple years or so I think, so I can't really rule out it being a newer release based on that.

View Postnecroslut, on 19 March 2021 - 06:21 AM, said:

I think it was an older one, though it could be it was just made in a "classic" style. Or at least that is how I remember it. It wasn't something I played "back in the day" though, just in the past couple years or so I think, so I can't really rule out it being a newer release based on that.

Fair.

I actually had another thought. I think it was a vanilla map, or if not that then a DukePlus map, but instead of battlelords in the center was it maybe an Overlord or Emperor shooting rockets at walls?

EDIT: There's actually yet another one that occurred to me that sorta fits the description you gave. With the battlelords it actually sounds like Roch 6.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 19 March 2021 - 06:54 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 06:50 AM, said:

I actually had another thought. I think it was a vanilla map, or if not that then a DukePlus map, but instead of battlelords in the center was it maybe an Overlord or Emperor shooting rockets at walls?

EDIT: There's actually yet another one that occurred to me that sorta fits the description you gave. With the battlelords it actually sounds like Roch 6.

Not Roch 6 -- it's a much simpler/blockier looking map. The center area was, I think, a "block" with some tight alleys, and the battlelords (or whatever it was, some tough enemy) inside the alleys.
IIRC pretty much all the buildings had 90° walls -- everything grid-aligned and no fancy stuff. I think there was a garage-looking (white?) building at the (north?) edge that got demolished at the end (E1L2 style) -- with maybe another Battlelord inside it? -- revealing the exit.

The overlord/emperor thing sounds familiar to me, but I think that is another, unrelated map to this one I'm thinking of.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 19 March 2021 - 07:33 AM

View Postnecroslut, on 19 March 2021 - 07:31 AM, said:

The overlord/emperor thing sounds familiar to me, but I think that is another, unrelated map to this one I'm thinking of.

Maybe, but I know it's one I mistook Warz/Warzone for because of a similar name. Let me dig it out just in case:

I'm starting to realize this gimmick is more common than I thought, because that also describes Hi-Altitude Face Off from Metropolitan Mayhem (just again with a Cycloid).

Odd question but do you remember what the sky was like? If it was the normal city background or if it used something more unique like a blue-colored lava texture for instance? It might help narrow it down if it used something besides the L.A. skyline.

Also: when you say "simple and blocky", do you mean in the 3DR-ish sort of way where it's clean and trim, or in the noob-ish sort of way?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 19 March 2021 - 08:07 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

No idea about the map Necroslut is looking for, but since I've never really noticed this thread before, I'll go with some "inquiries" as well. Some time ago I've found my childhood notebook where I'd written down the names of the levels I've played, mostly around 1997-1998, so they're mostly the old levels. Managed to nail most of these levels on dukeworld archives or Solyga etc., even played some (and it was a nice nostalgia trip, especially since some of them were surprisingly good for the time!). However, some were nowhere to be found, or probably have obscure archive names/I got their names wrong. Here are some maps I'd be looking for:
  • Alien Takeover episode by Jason Parrott - 4 levels "episode", that is 4 single maps that follow some sort of story. I've managed to find the final one - The Final Showdown, which can be found on dukeworld archives, there's also a video on YouTube: - probably I remember it was a bit better quality, but anyway, I'd still be interested in checking the other maps out again if anyone has them. The names are: Alien Takeover, Onboard the Alien Ship and Assimilated Moonbase.
  • Behind Enemy Lines - I remember this one as being pretty good back then, a base/hi-tech/war zone kind of level IIRC.
  • Chu Chu - something with train/underground I suppose?
  • Scout - space themed map, perhaps with some voyage taking place on the moon - however couldn't find anything that would match it, so it's possible I'd mistaken the name as a kid and it's the classic Beam Me Up, Scotty map.
  • Ammo Zone 2 - I remember this one quite clearly, played it around the summer holidays of 1997. It was located at a space station and there was Cycloid Emperor serving as a boss (or maybe just as the 1-hit sentry?).

Would be grateful for any hints on where to find these ones!

Isn't Final Showdown its own episode?

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

Maybe, but I know it's one I mistook Warz/Warzone for because of a similar name. Let me dig it out just in case:

Nope. This map is smaller and more cramped.

I'm starting to realize this gimmick is more common than I thought, because that also describes Hi-Altitude Face Off from Metropolitan Mayhem (just again with a Cycloid).

Love that map!
Though in this case it wasn't a big focus on the battlelord(s) really, I think... From what I recall it was mostly an ambush type thing if you got careless in the alleys, but not really hard to take out if done properly. The big thing I remember is sneaking through the buildings, scourging from ammo, finding open windows to jump into etc.

Odd question but do you remember what the sky was like? If it was the normal city background or if it used something more unique like a blue-colored lava texture for instance? It might help narrow it down if it used something besides the L.A. skyline.

Either the common city texture or the black starry sky, I believe. Nothing that stood out enough to make an impression, at least.

Also: when you say "simple and blocky", do you mean in the 3DR-ish sort of way where it's clean and trim, or in the noob-ish sort of way?

Well, sort of in-between? It certainly wasn't up to 3DR standards, but not really noobish either. Pretty good quality for an older user map/episode, as far as I recall, but nothing "fancy" like, say, Roch.

The jumping into windows and trying to grab armaments also sorta fits this level: https://msdn.duke4.net/hotskycity3.php

I doubt that's it, though. Especially since it doesn't have that explosive ending.

I do have one last idea but I don't have a link. There was an in-the-works TC called Time and it had a demo released forever and three days ago. I seem to remember either the second or third level being set in a city and I think it has an explosive ending. That said, I have no recollection of how the level played as it's been almost a decade since I touched it.

While I was typing this up one more idea struck me. https://msdn.duke4.n...termination.php Been a while since this one too but I do remember a lot of diving in and out of buildings looking for guns.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 19 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 10:06 AM, said:

Isn't Final Showdown its own episode?

Nah, at least the archive that mentioned at the beginning of the video that can be found on Dukeworld mentions that it's part of "Alien Takeover" episode, which would correspond to what I'd remember.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 11:30 AM, said:

While I was typing this up one more idea struck me. https://msdn.duke4.n...termination.php Been a while since this one too but I do remember a lot of diving in and out of buildings looking for guns.

Extermination is great, such an iconic classic that every time someone brings up this genre of city maps I feel like (and often do end up) posting about it. I don't think that should be the one though, it's amazing but in my opinion not the most accurate fit possible for the description. How you have to go around the map before you can make it outside the building sort of, but really doesn't sound like having to scavenge areas for ammo, I don't know. The city block is indeed pretty small but it's also really clean looking with detail.

Loved the SkyCity maps back when they came out too, and always wished the author had kept working on the series. And that 'alternative' War Zone map I can't remember seeing before but damn, despite looking rough around the edges it's actually remarkably good from what I can see, has style to it paired up with a basic yet very functional, smart layout.

Maybe Lessing5 by Big O (another personal favorite I regularly plug): http://www.scent-88....L/less/less.php but that's as much of a stretch as Extermination at the very least. Now that one I haven't played in a while.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 March 2021 - 01:10 PM

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 11:30 AM, said:

The jumping into windows and trying to grab armaments also sorta fits this level: https://msdn.duke4.net/hotskycity3.php
I doubt that's it, though. Especially since it doesn't have that explosive ending.

Nope, I've played that one and it's not it. It doesn't have anything fancy like that map's coronas and reflection effects.

I do have one last idea but I don't have a link. There was an in-the-works TC called Time and it had a demo released forever and three days ago. I seem to remember either the second or third level being set in a city and I think it has an explosive ending. That said, I have no recollection of how the level played as it's been almost a decade since I touched it.

I remember TIme, though I don't think that's it. There doesn't seem to be any YouTube footage of it, but I'll take a look at it myself and see. I think it was a full TC/episode though.
Edit: No, it wasn't Time.

No, this map is entirely flat (the ground).

The layout should look something like this (not to scale). I don't remember the exact number of buildings, but it's a small map.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: mockup.png

This post has been edited by necroslut: 19 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

User is online   ck3D 

That layout sort of looks like someone like Papamonos would have designed, and he also used to use custom .art in his maps a lot which may induce some aftertaste of a TC feel. That being said his maps were always a bit on the larger side and so I'm not sure that's the direction to explore although the era might somewhat match (and his design style always looked pretty old school anyway).

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Youtube suggested me this video

https://youtu.be/sjpxPd5kYYg

Now I'm wondering what's the name of the map, could someone help.

View PostMike Norvak, on 26 May 2021 - 04:22 AM, said:

Youtube suggested me this video

https://youtu.be/sjpxPd5kYYg

Now I'm wondering what's the name of the map, could someone help.

https://msdn.duke4.net/hotglvl1.php

I'm thinking at this point this topic should just be pinned. This thread has basically taken on a new life for everyone to ask for help locating specific maps, so it may as well be made official and accessible at all times.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   slacker1 

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 May 2021 - 02:06 PM, said:

https://msdn.duke4.net/hotglvl1.php

I'm thinking at this point this topic should just be pinned. This thread has basically taken on a new life for everyone to ask for help locating specific maps, so it may as well be made official and accessible at all times.

Mikko's download link looks to be broken. This one works if you want to download it: https://msdn.duke4.net/glvl1.zip

This post has been edited by slacker1: 27 May 2021 - 10:01 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

alright, looking for a map.it featured some wonky build engine trickery that gave vanilla duke 'true' 3d see through water and a plethora of other mindblowing stuff. the mapper achieved lots of this by using rotate sector tricks to transport full and empty setpieces into the map. i remember a large structure probably a rocket of sorts in the center, a container that could be drained, an open area with some nice sector over sector effects.
maybe it was one of the 'rejected' roch maps. it had a similar feel to it but more experimental

[edit] another one i'd like to replay was a map that featured a big street level, with destroyed buildings, nice detailing and i specifically remember a corridoe on the side that featured the luke cameo, looked like it belonged right into the original game in terms of style/quality the street was somewhat T shaped iirc. hoestly thats all i can remember

This post has been edited by jimbob: 05 July 2021 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 05 July 2021 - 05:52 PM, said:

alright, looking for a map.it featured some wonky build engine trickery that gave vanilla duke 'true' 3d see through water and a plethora of other mindblowing stuff. the mapper achieved lots of this by using rotate sector tricks to transport full and empty setpieces into the map. i remember a large structure probably a rocket of sorts in the center, a container that could be drained, an open area with some nice sector over sector effects.
maybe it was one of the 'rejected' roch maps. it had a similar feel to it but more experimental

This one sounds like BillyBoy's Clearwater (AKA Cranium): https://msdn.duke4.net/hotcranium.php

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostAleks, on 06 July 2021 - 12:51 AM, said:

This one sounds like BillyBoy's Clearwater (AKA Cranium): https://msdn.duke4.net/hotcranium.php

yes, thats the one :)

User is online   ck3D 

View Postnecroslut, on 18 March 2021 - 08:15 AM, said:

I'm looking for a map that I'm almost 100% it was part of a TC or episode.
The level itself might have been called "Block War" or something similar. It wasn't a boss map, but had a "boss map atmosphere" of sorts. It was a smallish city block of buildings and alleys, with lots of enemies spread out, and you had to move sort of carefully from building to building to not draw too much heat. You had to search buildings, some of which had a second floor, to find ammo. I think there was some Battlelord sentries in the middle of the map. The thing scenario reminded me a lot of the ending battle in the Death Wish 3 movie.

I know this is super vague, but maybe it rings a bell with someone.

This one keeps bugging me as long as it's not resolved. Was just reminded of Devastator's Demolition which may be bigger (and more memorable) than what you're describing, but the layout is square buildings that you explore, some texture alignment errors here and there that may make it look older than it is (although the construction in itself is quite advanced), new .con tricks that may make it feel like it's out of a TC when it's really not, it has tons of enemies including Battlelords and does feel like a boss map of sorts, so you may be into it anyway.

https://msdn.duke4.n...tdemolition.php

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

User is online   Dr.Panico 

Hey, guys!

I was wondering if you could help me find an old Xmas themed map. I remember downloading a long time ago in some Russian website (that probably doesn't exist anymore), along with similar maps. It was a city map, with new ARTs for things like snow, christmas trees and lights, etc. I remember that you started in a apartment building with a window facing an snowy town square. It was rather rough and old-fashioned designwise (think Duke's Snowy Adventure II).

User is offline   Sanek 

I probably know what you're talking about.
Check this one out

Attached File  Night.zip (148.57K)
Number of downloads: 136

User is online   Dr.Panico 

View PostSanek, on 02 September 2021 - 05:43 PM, said:

I probably know what you're talking about.
Check this one out

Attachment Night.zip

Yeah, I think that's the one. A bit different from what I remember, but familiar enough.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options