Duke4.net Forums: Blood, Sweat & Laughter: The Beauty Of The Build Engine - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood, Sweat & Laughter: The Beauty Of The Build Engine  "Ken Silverman and RPS Build Retrospective."

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

A tribute to the Build Engine and its games over at RPS, with some commentary from engine creator Ken Silverman

These games point a confident, bloodied middle finger to 3D shooters that have come and gone across the generations. For while almost every shooter since Quake is doomed to date and be judged by the latest standards of the day, the Big Four Build games remain immortal.

User is offline   Lunick 

Word sure spreads around
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I haven't clicked on a single RPS linked since a couple of years ago when I learnt that they were the ones who leaked Amnesia: The Dark Descent before it was even released.

So if you could copy past the interesting part... if any.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's the article:

Spoiler

User is offline   t800 

But only a handful of games – all first-person shooters, all 2.5D – ever came out for Build.

:D

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Even though there's more than four ("good ones" is a debatable term), that's still only a handful.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   t800 

Even if you discount all sequels and expansion packs and include in only installments each presenting its own new original franchise, you will still get to number over 10 titles. I find that for sole one engine in times of 90s pretty remarkable. :-)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postt800, on 15 April 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Even if you discount all sequels and expansion packs and include in only installments each presenting its own new original franchise, you will still get to number over 10 titles. I find that for sole one engine in times of 90s pretty remarkable. :-)

Honestly, Build was one of the more widely used engines in gaming history. It's only really surpassed by Unreal, Unity, and maybe Quake (if you want to count Source as a variant of Quake, which I do), and much of that has to do with the fact that new versions of those engines are still being made and released.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I think it says a lot considering the time period in which Build existed. Doom's engine was used for a few games, but I think ID was a lot more selective in who got to use it. 3DR would do anything for a buck. LOL

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 15 April 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

Yeah, I think it says a lot considering the time period in which Build existed. Doom's engine was used for a few games, but I think ID was a lot more selective in who got to use it. 3DR would do anything for a buck. LOL

Yeah, most of the people who licensed Doom were close with id--with Raven, they had Romero at id overseeing Heretic and with Rogue, they were actually in the same building as id when doing Strife. The Quake stuff was significantly more widely licensed though.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I'm pretty sure there were a lot of canned games too that used the BUILD engine. Witchaven 3 and Corridor 8 for example, but I'm sure there were a lot more from other countries too. So it certainly was licensed (but not always legally) more than there were releases, but I could be wrong. I just remember hearing about several unreleased games that used Build and had they been released, probably would've had sequels or content also on Build.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Witchaven.... 3?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Witchaven 3D :D

User is offline   MrFlibble 

“Id Software was a short drive away from the 3D Realms office”, Ken told me. “We often had groups of people visit so nothing was completely secret. Interestingly, E1L6 (episode 1’s secret level) of Duke Nukem 3D had a room with sloped ramps on the outer walls (in an L-shape) that was inspired by an early screenshot of Quake.”

I didn't know this.

I'm a bit surprised that the article completely ignores (as in, doesn't mention) many of the titles running on the Build engine, with Powerslave being my personal favourite.

On the topic of the number of games running on Build vs. id Tech 1, what puzzles me quite a bit is that there are seemingly a lot more recently created stand-alone games on the Doom engine (Harmony, The Adventures of Square, the stand-alone release of HacX, ChexQuest 3, Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl, CyberShade, Delaweare, possibly some others as well) compared to Build. It seems that most of the new Build games are stand-alone TCs (that is, there's some borrowed proprietary content). Maybe I'm wrong, but when I was asking here about completely original Build engine titles a while ago I was only directed to Zombie Crisis. Since then, Eddy Zykov released Electric Highways. There's also Shaw's Nightmare of course. Maybe I've just missed some more recent games?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That'd be due to a number of factors:

1. Making maps for doom is much easier and faster.
2. A lot more people developing things like source ports.
3. Doom was a much more revolutionary title than the Build games, and so would have a lot more fans.
4. Doom had several sequels over the years.
5. Working multiplayer
6. Optimized modern renderer with dynamic lighting
7. Doomworld never closed down like Dukeworld
8. The source code I've heard is much cleaner, better structured, better commented, less buggy. An all-round stable engine to base games on.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Also its much more versatile as far as content addition goes. You can play multiple mods at the same time with little to no effort to get them to work together.

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMicky C, on 16 April 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

6. Optimized modern renderer with dynamic lighting

Super subjective. GZdoom when really used commonly makes dynamiclight spam possible and runs poorly on ATI/AMD cards, and the closest thing to Polymer are the later Vavoom versions, the only port to date that even knows what model normals are but yet loathed for other reasons (like not being able to run certain overrated CODesque mods). Most of the grapical compensation have been gratuitous use of Reshade to add that awful chromatic aberration and lens dust bloom shader

Also I hope 6 isn't referring to Doomsday either, that stagnant flare-filled thing that don't realize what they're missing out on.

Doom definitely has the editor edge though. Mapster32's nice, but why wasn't there ever a Build Builder?

This post has been edited by leilei: 17 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options