Duke4.net Forums: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I saw Rogue One with my family last night on IMAX 2D. It's a good movie. It has flaws, but they are fewer and less serious than the flaws of episode 7. The high points of the film are not especially high, though -- this is no ESB. If I were scoring them both, I would give Rogue One about 85/100, and episode 7 about 75/100. For comparison, I would give ESB 95/100.

Pretty much everything about the movie was pretty good but not amazing. The story: pretty good but predictable. The characters and actors are quite serviceable and competant, but no one that we will feel too badly about not seeing again (the one exception: K-260 -- I loved that fucking droid!). The music is very good overall, but somewhat inconsistent. There were some points in the score where Michael Giacchino failed badly to fill the shoes of John Williams, but other points where the music soared and was both fitting and better than the dial-it-in score that Williams produced for episode 7. Effects work was excellent all around, with one notable exception (mentioned below).

Nitpicks (with spoilers):

Spoiler

User is offline   Kawa 

Spoiler

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 December 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yeah I mentioned this point earlier in the thread and agree. It doesn't fit very well. I suppose it's simply there for the sake of fan service.

Speaking of which, why are so many people so damn obsessed with Star Wars? I'd consider myself a huge Star Trek fan for example, but it's not like I buy merchandise or blow my load over some reference to TNG.

View PostMicky C, on 24 December 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

Speaking of which, why are so many people so damn obsessed with Star Wars? I'd consider myself a huge Star Trek fan for example, but it's not like I buy merchandise or blow my load over some reference to TNG.

The Star Wars success is historically due, and it's also a direct Lucas admission, mainly to the moment where is come out more than it's content. Yeah, being the first real sci-fi-fantasy with a consistent budget behind and make see some previews images to the 70's fanbase helped a lot too.

The "Empire Of Dreams" Documentary gives you much answers about it.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 24 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 December 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Spoiler

I agree with the first 2 points, especially that interrogation scene seemed like a pointless addition. I guess they wanted to show that Saw whatshisname became paranoid to the point of being a danger to everyone else.
But they could have done that in a different, less confusing way.

Don't agree about the last point though:

Spoiler

Overall, I'm pleased with this movie. I didn't like Episode 7 all that much, but this one feels more grounded and has actual weight and stakes to it.
Force Awakens mostly lacked that IMO.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMerlijn, on 25 December 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

Overall, I'm pleased with this movie. I didn't like Episode 7 all that much, but this one feels more grounded and has actual weight and stakes to it.
Force Awakens mostly lacked that IMO.

Let's hope that the better qualities of Rogue One can inform the development of Episode 8 going forward. I could see it going either way, honestly.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Gotta say, my favorite part might've been that they ditched the text crawl intro.
I know it's a tradition, but I feel it really bogs down the beginning and makes me less invested as my mind just starts wandering off.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It works for the episodes with grand story arcs. Because that's what the old serials George Lucas used to watch were like. For standalone stories it makes no sense. Definitely the right call not to include them.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 December 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

Let's hope that the better qualities of Rogue One can inform the development of Episode 8 going forward. I could see it going either way, honestly.

And let's hope we won't see Stormtroopers with absolutely zero aim (this meme needs to die) or rules of nature meme like this (I'm surprised no one did video with rules of nature song yet):
Spoiler

I mean really, it would be fun to see this stuff in Platinum video game, but it was very weird to see this in the movie.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 December 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

It's probably too late to affect Episode 8. I read that Carrie Fisher finished her work on the movie, so it's fairly safe to assume the film is largely set in stone by this point.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Hey, they scheduled reshoots for Rogue One...

Still, I agree. Doubtful.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options