Duke4.net Forums: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

User is offline   Mark 

I saw the movie today ( in 3D of course ) and what I liked was it featured someone other than the same old actors from the other movies. Sure, a cameo appearance here and there but I liked watching the new ones. Also, the droid humor was was taken down a notch and was not quite as silly. Its hard to remember back a couple of decades when the original came out but it seems like I enjoyed this one the most. Or at least its the best of the last 3.

IIRC Peter Cushing is dead. They did a remarkable job finding his replacement for the movie. He looked and sounded so close to original that I'm assuming he might be a brother or relative. I didn't google it to find out. The CG Leah could have been done a little better.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLkMax, on 17 December 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

Well, someone did make a map that leads to Luke anyway, for whatever funny reason.

It was a map to the First Jedi Temple, "where some of the ones closest to Luke thought he might be headed."

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMark., on 17 December 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

IIRC Peter Cushing is dead. They did a remarkable job finding his replacement for the movie. He looked and sounded so close to original that I'm assuming he might be a brother or relative. I didn't google it to find out.

I'm assuming that's your way of saying you thought the CG for Tarkin was impressive, otherwise I have to tell you that's not flesh and blood. The stand-in was Guy Henry and the voice was that of Stephen Stanton, for those who don't know.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

User is offline   Mark 

WOW, then I guess they did such a great job on him but not so much on Leah.

View PostMark., on 17 December 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

IIRC Peter Cushing is dead. They did a remarkable job finding his replacement for the movie.

View PostMark., on 17 December 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

WOW, then I guess they did such a great job on him but not so much on Leah.

Completely CG. As MI mentioned as well.

Welcome to life where the 2D world can be easily fabricated at will in ways that bleed over into appearing like real 3D events.

It is easier to pull off a male CG character than a female... because of many deeply ingrained nuances that are hard to fake.

View PostLkMax, on 17 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Stop that you paranoid twat.

Keep in mind I gain nothing... and risk much... saying the things I say.

Which of our perspectives is in alignment with the current real world Legislative Empire and which is the scrappy populist Rebel alliance? Be honest.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 17 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I didn't notice much difference between the two computer generated characters. They both had a slight "computer game character" appearance to them. Can't put my finger on what specifically, probably a handful of subtle things.

I'm kind of surprised they were legally able to put him in.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 December 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

It was a map to the First Jedi Temple, "where some of the ones closest to Luke thought he might be headed."

I don't remember that information from the movie, though I can't tell considering there's one year since i last saw it.
Regardless it doesn't fix my problems with TFA.

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 17 December 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Keep in mind I gain nothing... and risk much... saying the things I say.

Not really, unless you revealed personal information you're just some annonymous guy on some random game forum.

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 17 December 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Which of our perspectives is in alignment with the current real world Legislative Empire and which is the scrappy populist Rebel alliance? Be honest.

Huh? I don't know about you but if some country (USA, Russia, China, whatever) was governed by some power trip maniacal that decided to take control of the whole world (Galaxy in SW) and was willing to mass murder for it (including with WMDs), there's a good chance I'd be on the rebel side.
I don't remember the small political details of the series but even if the galaxy is actually just one republic, the Empire is still a dictatorship, not something I strive to have.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 18 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostMicky C, on 18 December 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm kind of surprised they were legally able to put him in.

I'm surprised it took me that long to figure out they were CG.

View PostLkMax, on 18 December 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Not really, unless you revealed personal information you're just some annonymous guy on some random game forum.

This is the greatest reply I've had all year. Danke!

Huh?

Right now diversity über alles is the mindset of The Empire. The Rogues are the Ones pointing out there seems to be a global agenda behind it.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 18 December 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

This is the greatest reply I've had all year. Danke!

What, you think someone will lose time tracking you because you are accusing Rogue One to be politically charged against whites?
Which, by the way, I completely disagree, that's nonsensical, like saying Resident Evil 4 is racist because everyone you kill is non-white... no shit, it's a non-white country FFS.
In Rogue One, most rebels are morally ambuiguous, they are not perfect beings. As I mentioned before, there's even a cell so extremist it split from the main alliance and guess what, it's lead by a black person.

I understand it's frustating having to put up with all the bullshit over-sensitiveness that is being used to gain political power by certain groups, but fighting bullshit with more bullshit (from the opposite side), seeking prosecution where there's none, just polarises groups even more.

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 18 December 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

Right now diversity über alles is the mindset of The Empire.

I don't know how anyone can take that idea from the movies.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 18 December 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostLkMax, on 18 December 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

What, you think someone will lose time tracking you because you are accusing Rogue One to be politically charged against whites?

Nope. I am very very happy to just be another doofus on the internet.

Which, by the way, I completely disagree, that's nonsensical, like saying Resident Evil 4 is racist because everyone you kill is non-white... no shit, it's a non-white country FFS.

All Resident Evil games have been reasonably realistic about the demographics of their settings. I agree, nothing racist there. You are free to dismiss what the writers themselves said, but if the Resident Evil writers said they set the game in a Hispanic country or an African country because they wanted a brave white man to oppose them, you probably wouldn't be dismissive of them. Even if they later said they were drunk and angry at an election afterwards.

I understand it's frustating having to put up with all the bullshit over-sensitiveness that is being used to gain political power by certain groups, but fighting bullshit with more bullshit (from the opposite side), seeking prosecution where there's none, just polarises groups even more.

I'm just trying to determine ahead of time where to spend my money. Fighting with bullshit would be me making white supremacists content or seeking control of political power. Discussing the bullshit on forums is a pretty reasonable reaction and approach to bring a clearer understanding of what exactly is going on around us.

I don't know how anyone can take that idea from the movies.

I was talking about the real world empire. Not the movie one. :lol:

Regardless... that's fair that you don't think there is any relevance to the writer's comments and the overall on screen results. Some people do. I may or may not see the movie and I'll certainly enjoy it on its own merits (I enjoy movies that are overt in making fun of white people, rednecks, men, etc.)... but I like to understand what I'm spending my money on.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 18 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

LOL

Ergo, he probably hasn't spent much time in the microaggressions and CPAC threads to know how many times you've changed your handle recently.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

I prefer it this way.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

LOL

Ergo, he probably hasn't spent much time in the microaggressions and CPAC threads to know how many times you've changed your handle recently.

Yeah, I didn't, and I don't want to spend my time in those places. :lol:

Wise choice, heh.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 18 December 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Wise choice, heh.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I will see it.
Story happens between Revenge of the Sith and New hope.
At least James Earl Jones does his reprise as Darth Vader in Rogue one.

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars.

Star Wars VIII will come out on Dec 2017 tho.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostZaxtor, on 22 December 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Story happens between Revenge of the Sith and New hope.
Further towards the latter, by far, but yes.

• The Sarien Encounter

Very much. As in "10 minutes before A New Hope starts."

User is offline   Kawa 

I did not expect it to be quite that literal.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Bad news: Carrie Fisher suffers massive heart attack on plane.

Our sources say Carrie was on a flight from London to LAX when she went into cardiac arrest. People on board were administering CPR.

We're told the emergency occurred 15 minutes before the plane landed in L.A. A flight attendant asked if there were any medical personnel on board and an EMT who was sitting in the back of the plane came up to first class and administered life-saving measures.

The plane landed just after noon in L.A. and paramedics rushed her to a nearby hospital.

She apparently wasn't breathing for 10 minutes.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 23 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

2016 needs to get its grubby hands off our beloved celebrities.

CG Cushing may be considered creepy by some, but the time has considerably softened the question of respect for the person himself.

Now a CG Fisher would be much more sad and tacky on different aspects. I'd rather they invent a story like "Oh no, Starkiller destroyed the planet were Leia was!" at this point.

User is offline   LkMax 

The mayans were wrong by 4 (or 5) years... still one week for 2016 to end, may the flying spaghetti have mercy on our souls.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 23 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostLkMax, on 23 December 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

flying spaghetti have mercy on our souls.

Too bad, the Flying Spaghetti eats souls for live. Why do you think people calls him monster? :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

Stable! (according to her brother)

https://apnews.com/9...c605d727f505689

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 December 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Stable! (according to her brother)

https://apnews.com/9...c605d727f505689

Worth mentioning that after a cardiac arrest, stabilized does not mean "back to normal." It means that her vitals are stable, they have her on whatever medications they need for now, and now it's about allowing her brain function and so forth to heal. You can be stable on a ventilator.

In terms of her cerebral function and cognitive recovery, it's too early to tell. In fact, it's only going to be over the next 48-72 hours where we'll have any idea how much damage was done to the brain and begin to have some understanding in terms of recovery. This is unless we get some news on how the initial reports of her being down for that amount of time weren't accurate or so forth, otherwise we're just going to have to wait.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, of course. 10 minutes is a long time.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Still stable condition.
I hope she makes a full recovery.
Always liked her and her character.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 23 December 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Worth mentioning that after a cardiac arrest, stabilized does not mean "back to normal." It means that her vitals are stable, they have her on whatever medications they need for now, and now it's about allowing her brain function and so forth to heal. You can be stable on a ventilator.

In terms of her cerebral function and cognitive recovery, it's too early to tell. In fact, it's only going to be over the next 48-72 hours where we'll have any idea how much damage was done to the brain and begin to have some understanding in terms of recovery. This is unless we get some news on how the initial reports of her being down for that amount of time weren't accurate or so forth, otherwise we're just going to have to wait.

If they performed CPR and mouth to mouth, I believe high chance she will have no perma brain damage and make a full recovery hopefully.
I'm sure on a plane they have people who knows CPR, mouth to mouth and they have doctors if someone get sick or heart attack etc.
Probably have defibrillator aboard to restart the heart so they can keep her alive until she get to the hospital for proper care.

From a science site.
The brain can survive for up to about six minutes after the heart stops. The reason to learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is that if CPR is started within six minutes of cardiac arrest, the brain may survive the lack of oxygen. After about six minutes without CPR, however, the brain begins to die.
From wiki
The brain may sustain damage after blood flow has been stopped for about four minutes and irreversible damage after about seven minutes

CPR
is an emergency procedure that combines chest compression often with artificial ventilation in an effort to manually preserve intact brain function until further measures are taken to restore spontaneous blood circulation and breathing in a person who is in cardiac arrest. It is indicated in those who are unresponsive with no breathing or abnormal breathing, for example, agonal respirations.

CPR alone is unlikely to restart the heart; Its main purpose is to restore partial flow of oxygenated blood to the brain and heart. The objective is to delay tissue death and to extend the brief window of opportunity for a successful resuscitation without permanent brain damage. Administration of an electric shock to the subject's heart, termed defibrillation, is usually needed in order to restore a viable or "perfusing" heart rhythm. Defibrillation is effective only for certain heart rhythms, namely ventricular fibrillation or pulseless ventricular tachycardia, rather than asystole or pulseless electrical activity. CPR may succeed in inducing a heart rhythm that may be shockable. In general, CPR is continued until the person has a return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) or is declared dead.

So people says as long you perform CPR and mouth to mouth or using these things that pump air etc.
It slows down the deterioration and oxygen still goes to the brain and heart etc "partial flow of oxygenated blood"

Usually when people get braindeath is because no CPR was performed for soo long, severe damage and others.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 23 December 2016 - 11:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options