• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Thoughts?

It's nice to see classic storm troopers.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 April 2016 - 05:16 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'll just pretend this is a Dark Forces movie.

User is offline   LkMax 

Thoughts?

None. TFA trailer was also excellent and the movie ended up being underwhelming.
I'll know if it's good after I watch it (and it won't be on movie theaters again).

The trailer felt a little melodramatic, not very Star Wars-y. I guess they're going for a war movie feel, and it's bey the guy who did the slow paced disaster movie Godzilla film. With Donnie Yen I was expecting more of a fun action movie tone.

I'm sure the movie will have action and fun, but this teaser has an odd feel to it. But I'll be there opening day of course.

I do dig Episode 7, saw it three times. (Would've saw it only once I guess if I my bro didn't want to see it, etc. Watchable though. :D )

• The Sarien Encounter

The idea with the one-off Star Wars movies (starting with Rogue One) is to have different atmospheres and alternative views on the lore where different writers and directors can come in and explore it with their own style. I haven't once expected it to be the token fun adventure-y classic Star Wars film.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

I can dig different tones, I was just expecting one more fun / less melodramatic than what's presented in this trailer. Not saying I expect a tone exactly like the other Star Wars movies, but a violent war movie can still have an entertaining tone. If the tone of this trailer is reflective of the overall movie, it might not be entertaining to me. Reminds me a bit of Terminator Salvation. But I'll give the movie a chance of course.

I'd like a rebels on a mission movie to feel more like an 80s Schwarzenegger flick than say a Hunger Games movie. The tone of this trailer is more like the latter. Or since this has Donnie Yen in it, ideally it could be like Tiger Cage 2, in the Star Wars universe. But that's just what I'm into. Hard-boiled ass kickery.

Also, the subplot about the protagonist becoming cold due to war or whatever just feels heavy-handed for this material to me. Shouldn't they be presented as a hero? What's there to be conflicted about? They're trying to stop a giant thing that blows up innocent planets full of people. But hey, just initial impressions.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 07 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Another new Star Wars movie with a universe that has any and all kinds of life forms interacting together, yet again all the lead roles go to boring smelly humans.

User is offline   t800 

You know what would I like to see in side story film? Imperial point of view. And by that I dont mean Finn, who realized new order = evil in very first minutes. I mean film about volunteer officer or stormtrooper from civil war era, who honestly believes that empire is doing just thing.
You know what they say: "One´s freedom fighter is other´s terrorist."
There could be final transformation/realization of truth, but as ongoing process, not immediately. Maybe it would be too heavy for Star Wars, straying away from its black and white morality. This would also require to alter typical portrayal of empire as cartoony "muahaha absolute power", but I think it can be done (maybe by focusing less on emperor and more on charismatic leaders like Tarkin and Thrawn) and I would be greatly interested in exploring such theme.

Did you know there is also one cool unused scene from Return Of Jedi that tried to humanize imperials bit?

View PostLunick, on 07 April 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

I'll just pretend this is a Dark Forces movie.

^ Totally this. What missed opportunity to be able to see such badass as Katarn on big screen. :D
And his origin story could also be utilized for aforementioned theme.

EDIT: There is also interesting story of ace pilot from TIE Fighter game. Damn it, Disney. :yucky:
That reminds me of this amazing little thing. :blink:

This post has been edited by t800: 10 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

All I can say, is I hope the bearded man Diego Luna is playing, is Kyle Katarn.

• The Sarien Encounter

This is making it harder to not get my hopes up. I know, I should know better. Still, relevant.

ROGUE ONE Insiders Describe Darth Vader Scenes as "Brutal"

Making Star Wars is reporting that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will show us a Vader much more violent than we've seen in the past. The team reports that a stunt suit for Vader has been built, and it's more than likely we are going to see some action scenes that they are saying will be "brutal." So far, ideas pitched by the writing staff include decapitations by a thrown lightsaber and using stormtroopers as human shields via the Force.

I'm not at all against this! While we've always known Vader was for the most part cold-blooded in his early days, we never saw the height of his power in the films as we do in other media. That being said, there's a fine line between depicting someone being choked out on screen and straight up head slicing them. Do you think it's extreme, or not extreme enough?!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't have anything against strong female leads, but are all the movies going to have them? They need to mix it up a bit for the sake of variety.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, the Han Solo one I imagine won't...unless he was really "born a girl first."

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 May 2016 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 02 May 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

I don't have anything against strong female leads, but...

View PostMicky C, on 02 May 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

but

lol :angry:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Lunick doesn't normally read too much into my statements, but...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 May 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well, the Han Solo one I imagine won't...unless he was really born a girl first.

Wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility of that being the case. Star Wars pushing the transgender agenda :angry:

• The Sarien Encounter

I can't help but feel sad about this....apparently Disney execs didn't like the direction Rogue One was headed and ordered several weeks of reshoots. Saying it was like a "war movie." That's kind of what I was looking forward to. Now they're saying since it ends just before ANH begins, the tone has to match up so they're injecting some much needed humour and adventure into it because it "doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie."

I hope this is not the beginning of Disney majorly screwing up. (I know some of you think they screwed up already, but this would do it for me personally)

http://movieweb.com/...n-for-reshoots/

Saying it was like a "war movie."

So it's a Battlefront based movie? :)

apparently Disney execs didn't like the direction Rogue One was headed and ordered several weeks of reshoots.

Disney sympathizes openly for the Empire.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 02 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It's called Star Wars. I don't see the big deal in it being a war movie. *shrug*

Part of Star Wars choreography and plot is based on REAL war documentaries and amateur movies.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 02 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

Hmm, interesting news. I'm probably in the minority, but I did feel that the Rogue One trailer was off in its tone, so I can understand where Disney is coming from in thinking it doesn't line up with the style of the series. I was kind of intrigued with the more 'war-like' aspect and the idea of experimenting in the off-shoot stories and heading in other directions and taking more risks. And it's weird because I do enjoy works that are darker in tone as well, but I do think that Star Wars does have a certain feel to it, whether it is more light and adventurous, or exploring the darker side of the galaxy. To me, the trailer while having elements like the high production (costumes, sets, props, special effects etc.) of a Star Wars movie, didn't have the right type of 'dark' tone that Star Wars occasionally has. When I think of that tone in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back would come to mind first, and I find it interesting that many games have gotten the Star Wars feel absolutely right as well, whether it be a light or dark tone or somewhere in between, like the Dark Forces series and the Knights of the Old Republic series. Trailers can be quite deceiving and aren't always an accurate representation of the final movie, and styles of film-making and tastes have changed considerably since the series started in 1977. Feel is also something that is subjective.

Anyway, that's my take on it, and all I really want is for future Star Wars movies to just be the best they can be. :)

This post has been edited by Malgon: 03 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Whichever way this goes, I sense a new danger to the franchise that I was hoping wouldn't take place. That being the fact that Lucas no longer holding the reins, everybody has their own ideas about what Star Wars should be when in reality it's more like what Star Wars was for themselves. This is the first time I've seen a possible negative outcome of that. Sure, Lucas fouled things up royally but generally I think everyone was very happy with the lore that came with the prequels and the general storyline which was just done badly. but George didn't have any limits. He did whatever he wanted and everyone followed him. Now I see more an atmosphere of people debating what Star Wars should be to the point of having a committee dedicated to deciding what the saftest course of action would be for a Star Wars tone and....that doesn't excite me. I don't want Star Wars to be a formula like Marvel movies (which I dislike). More than likely it would end in just deciding on the safest formula that would guarantee sales and keep shareholders/execs/whatever happy etc...George was right to fear what could (and probably will eventually) happen.

Not that I'd rather have George back. No way. If that's the way Star Wars goes, well, it's better that it had a good run than to have Lucas continue to screw things up. I don't expect it to happen right away (though I'm still wary about this news for Rogue One), but I now see it as inevitable.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

I think on one extreme you have Lucas surrounded by yes-men and almost not understanding what Star Wars is and why people like it, and on the other extreme we could end up having a situation where Disney follows some generic formula movie to movie and just plays it safe because that's what takes them to the bank. Neither extreme is desirable, and I think there is a lot of middle ground that the series could explore while still staying true to the spirit of it all, as has been shown in other media.

P.s. Sorry if it comes across that my posts are directed at you MI (they're not), I'm just airing my thoughts in general and I realise you're doing the same. The possibilities of what could happen to the series if it ends up safe and decided by committee is a very valid concern, and I don't think anyone wants that.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 03 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

In general I am deeply suspicious of movie prequels because they tend to be undisciplined and spoil what comes after. They over-foreshadow and make too many references to events which haven't happened yet, cramming in unnecessary cameos and explanations. In action movies, the scale is often blown up, so that the later events seem anti-climactic. Maybe if the new Star Wars movies had villains half as compelling as Vader and the emperor, Disney wouldn't find it necessary to go back in time. My expectations are low.

• The Sarien Encounter

I think you're painting all prequels with a broad brush, DT. I don't believe they're all that way, but certainly many are and Star Wars especially is no stranger to it. How I wish the prequels were done in a manner that didn't blow who Darth Vader is...everybody who watches them starts with the horrid prequels. Not in my family.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 June 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

I think you're painting all prequels with a broad brush, DT. I don't believe they're all that way, but certainly many are and Star Wars especially is no stranger to it. How I wish the prequels were done in a manner that didn't blow who Darth Vader is...everybody who watches them starts with the horrid prequels. Not in my family.

They aren't all that way but enough of them are that I am deeply suspicious. A good example of a prequel series that has been amazing so far with none of those issues is Better Call Saul -- but then again that's a TV series prequel and I was complaining about movie prequels.

Imo there should only have been one or at most 2 Star Wars prequel movies, not 3. It should have started with Anakin already a teenager (discovered by Obi Wan at about the same age as Luke in ANH) and it should have ended with him defeated by Obi-Wan and presumed dead by the audience (no Vader yet). Then it would not have spoiled the next 3 movies because you wouldn't even know that Anakin was alive let alone that he was Luke's father.

• The Sarien Encounter

There still would have been enough information to link Anaking with Darth Vader. Obi-Wan described Vader as a pupil of his that turned to evil and helped the emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He never said anything bad about Anakin, just that he was killed by Vader. If you show Obi-Wan defeating Anakin, there's more than enough information there to link the two together. Especially with no sign of Vader. Plus we wouldn't have had the awesome scenes with Ian McDiarmid grooming Anakin.

I don't think there's any realistic way to tell the story of Anakin/Vader without giving it away. That was the heart of the story.

• The Sarien Encounter

So, yeah. I should just stop reading internet articles because none of them are ever true anyway. I don't know what to think anymore. I'll just wait until the movie comes out and enjoy if it's good and hate on it if it's not. Screw the internet.

Screw it.

Fears that the heavy-duty war movie is being watered down into a lighthearted caper are unfounded, according to what EW has learned. “The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that’s intentional,” one source says. “It’s a war film.”

Rumors that Disney executives have forced the changes to make the movie more family friendly are also false. According to EW’s sources, there have been no test screenings, and it’s unlikely there ever will be on a Star Wars film.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I watched this yesterday and failed to share it.

Hot damn, I dig the new trailer way more than the first one! And Donnie Yen is the man.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Yes, that's one awesome trailer right there! :P
So many great shots.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 13 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options