Duke4.net Forums: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

User is offline   LkMax 

Ok so I changed my mind, I gave the new series a second chance and saw Rogue One on a movie theater. And I'm glad I did, I thought it was a pretty good movie all things considered. Gives me a new hope for the franchise (see what I did there? *wink wink*).
Probably helps J.J. Abrams was not involved in any way.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 15 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It was very very good.

FanTASTic.

I will even say it was better than Episode 7. Even people who hated Episode 7 said they loved this film. Quite good.

I'm skipping our company showing of it... semi-partially out of protest of the last one.

Are you saying they learned their lesson?

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm saying the people who made this one weren't even around to know or be influenced by whatever they did wrong in the last one so it's nothing like it.

If you don't like how Episode 7 was and want to protest it, go out, see, and support THIS movie.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

User is offline   Dan 

Trooper Dan, on 05 June 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Imo there should only have been one or at most 2 Star Wars prequel movies, not 3.

Except the first 3 Star Wars films were titled episodes IV, V, abd VI, so there kinda had to be 3 prequels.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd suspected that they only made The Force Awakens so similar to A New Hope so that they'd get people on board with the new movies in general early on, and then do something more original. I've tried to avoid reading anything that gives anything away about the film as I'm seeing it in 24 hours, but from the general vibe of reception it looks like I may have been right.

Then again I could eat my words when Episode 8 comes out as these Stories are technically just spinoffs and meant to be different by definition.

User is offline   Lunick 

Rogue One is better than the prequels and The Force Awakens.

User is offline   Kawa 

Can confirm the above to be true.

MusicallyInspired, on 15 December 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

I'm saying the people who made this one weren't even around to know or be influenced by whatever they did wrong in the last one so it's nothing like it.

Is the empire almost entirely white male and the rebel alliance almost entirely female or non-white?

User is offline   Kawa 

When are they not?

• The Sarien Encounter

ErgoTheChappy, on 16 December 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

Is the empire almost entirely white male and the rebel alliance almost entirely female or non-white?

Oh erm......Darth Vader is voiced by a black person!

There are many white males in the Rebellion. Some of them even have speaking roles. The droid is voiced by a white male. Blonde at that.

MusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Oh erm......Darth Vader is voiced by a black person!

Darth Vader is a bitter angry white boy.

MusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

There are many white males in the Rebellion. Some of them even have speaking roles. The droid is voiced by a white male. Blonde at that.

Show me. Voice actors are irrelevant. I want to understand the beings in the story and their rank in the narrative.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well in that case.....sigh you're not gonna like it. Just don't go see it....

MusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Well in that case.....sigh you're not gonna like it. Just don't go see it....

Oh I might very well enjoy it. I can enjoy well done propaganda.

I just wanted to clarify the demographic narrative before I go in. I'm far more likely to enjoy it if I'm not spending my time counting racial/gender representation.

The games the left play are very very annoying, aren't they? But only a "problem" when a white boy plays them. :lol:

I'm quite sure the abstraction of the movie is very very well done because Disney would only hire the most talented creators of fictional abstractions. It's just the "business". This is understandable when you consider that I recently helped make a fantastic product for a company I've sued in the past.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 16 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I never noticed the racial roles Lucasfilm has instituted in the movie....quite interesting tactic.

Heh. 'Racial roles.' That's good.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

MusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

I never noticed the racial roles Lucasfilm has instituted in the movie....quite interesting tactic.

Heh. 'Racial roles.' That's good.

If you spend enough time digging, you'll uncover the deleted tweets of the writers.

There is a narrative. And it's not pro-you. :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh yes I remember those. The rebel symbol with the paperclip......retarded.

User is offline   Merlijn 

As someone who was disappointed by The force awakens, I have to say I effin LOVED this movie.
Best star wars movie since Return of the jedi, the 3rd act is especially good.

• Honored Donor

Just seen it. A good movie for sure, but in hindsight I probably shouldn't have read all the comments here since it set my bar mega high. I enjoyed it more than the Force Awakens, but not a lot more. Sure, TFA was more or less a rehash that was nothing particularly special, and I wouldn't want to see a whole set of movies that are again rehashes of it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Rogue One felt relatively fresh by comparison, the pacing was fairly good, and it had some pretty epic moments.

Here are some thoughts on what I didn't like about the movie:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The funniest thing about all this diversity crap is that they didn't use aliens in Rebellion, only humans. Wasted potential, but typical for Americans.

• Honored Donor

There were a few aliens in the rebellion that I saw, at the base. Perhaps you mean at the actual fight at the end?

User is offline   Malgon 

Wow. I just got back from seeing this earlier on and all I can say is that I am really disappointed. While I had some doubts about this from the trailers, I tried to approach it with an open mind and give it a chance, but it does feel like those doubts had some merit. So many things just felt off that I'm not even sure where to begin. While TFA has its flaws, I much preferred it over Rogue One.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Micky C, on 17 December 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

There were a few aliens in the rebellion that I saw, at the base. Perhaps you mean at the actual fight at the end?

That and that it was indeed only a few. SW universe is pretty known for its aliens of many kinds. Previous movies had way more aliens.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 17 December 2016 - 05:53 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

You people simply have no taste. Or I have terrible taste. I loved it.

Micky C, on 17 December 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

Here are some thoughts on what I didn't like about the movie:
Spoiler

Right at the end:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

I'd go as far as say Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars. It's not perfect but no movie is.

Wanna hear a joke? The critics who praised TFA but gave a lower score to Rogue One.
That's all, they are the joke.

As a side note, an interesting thought I just found on reddit: "I can't help but find it funny how the one that's literally about the original death star managed to be the more original story of the two so far. "

Is the empire almost entirely white male

Have you watched the original trilogy?

and the rebel alliance almost entirely female and non-white?

No.

ErgoTheChappy, on 16 December 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

Oh I might very well enjoy it. I can enjoy well done propaganda.

Really? There's nothing "anti-white" or "minorities-needs-privileges" in the movie, only if you want to see it like that.
This fake white persecution is as bad as fake black / gay / SJW persecution. Stop that you paranoid twat.
PS: Hell, there's a black man that is a extremist terrorist in the movie who even injuries allies.

Malgon, on 17 December 2016 - 05:40 AM, said:

While TFA has its flaws, I much preferred it over Rogue One.

So you prefer a movie where the main villain is a emo Darth Vader wannabe that is powerfull enough to stop lazers with his hand but can't beat an unexperienced trash collector girl, in a convulted plot where for some reason Luke didn't want to be found but left pieces of a map to his location anyway, all while closely following the plot of A New Hope but with less developed characters... I see.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 17 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Luke didn't leave any pieces. Why does everyone assume that?

User is offline   LkMax 

Well, someone did make a map that leads to Luke anyway, for whatever funny reason.

Is the empire almost entirely white male...

LkMax, on 17 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Have you watched the original trilogy?

Absolutely. It was mostly a bunch of white people killing white people over truth and justice.

...and the rebel alliance almost entirely female or non-white?

No.

Odd...

The casting was not accidental. The Empire is (now) a “white supremacist (human) organization,” Rogue One co-writer Chris Weitz Tweeted the Friday after Clinton was defeated in the election. Another writer for the film, Gary Whitta, replied with his own Tweet, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women”—then deleted it.

Posted Image

The irony is that, a long time ago, in a film industry far, far away, Star Wars was born in left-wing politics. Lucas dreamed up American Graffiti, Apocalypse Now (a project he subsequently passed off to Francis Ford Coppola) and Star Wars as a trilogy—one film about the carefree days just before the Vietnam War, one about the war itself, and one a dystopian sci-fi look at the ramifications of the aftermath—with plucky guerillas Luke and Co. representing the Viet Cong and the technologically awesome Empire meant to stand in for the United States.

Oh, you didn’t know that? That’s because makers of Hollywood fantasy films used to have the good sense to keep their politics to themselves.

Really? There's nothing "anti-white" or "minorities-needs-privileges" in the movie, only if you want to see it like that.
This fake white persecution is as bad as fake black / gay / SJW persecution. Stop that you paranoid twat.

It's really really annoying isn't it? I don't want Star Wars to be politicized... but when the writers themselves are saying it is... don't come yelling at me for paranoia.

Posted Image

Reminder: I didn't vote for Trump... I don't endorse Trump and I think he and the alt-right are being setup... but I do endorse the populist rejection of the "it's not a racist sexist narrative" narrative.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 17 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

It seems like a angry, not very thought out reaction from one of the writers caused by the surprising election results, not necessarily something true.
I'm glad I don't follow their twitter and I can just enjoy the movie for what it is.

I'm glad you can enjoy it on that level as well. I envy you honestly.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options