Duke4.net Forums: Octo Desperado - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Octo Desperado  "A funny, wacky map! (sequel to Kill City)"

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

Hello guys. It's been years since I released a Duke 3D usermap, so, I decided to have some fun and make a level for april fools day!
It's essentially a sequel to Kill City and it's just as weird and wacky. Hope you'll have a good laugh playing the map! :D

Download

Special thanks to Vazovski for helping with a certain art!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

Do I really want to run a .bat on April Fool's Day? Will it change Duke3D into Extreme PaintBrawl or something? :blink: :yucky: I kid, I had the courage to click it.

I knew what I was getting into, and kudos on your unique flavor of utilizing Duke 3D. I died on one of those weird thingies you step on that kills you. Times like this I wish Duke 3D had a "resurrect" cheat like zDoom. I will try it again though.

Well, I made it to the next part, and well... I guess I won't spoil it for other players. Is it Halloween or April Fool's Day? :D

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 01 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Damn, that Octathingy scared the shit out of me. Fuck.

User is offline   Lunick 

I was not ready for a horror filled tripfest today

The Sonic 3 music should have given it away...

User is offline   Jolteon 

I was expecting this map would be funny like Kill City, and it was at first, like the Giant poop in the beginning and the Lizard trooper flying out of the door.

Attached Image: duke0099.png Attached Image: duke0100.png

But as for the later part of the map, well...
Spoiler

So yeah the map was good. I had fun playing it. :yucky:

You know, after I've finished the map and started reading the comments, I thought it is some kind of a joke.
Turns out, I screwed up everything. I'm so sorry, Eddy.

Spoiler

User is offline   CruX 

honestly, my biggest complaint is that it ended at the exact moment it was starting to feel kind of original and (sic) legitimately unsettling.

Spoiler

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 01 April 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Times like this I wish Duke 3D had a "resurrect" cheat like zDoom.

God cheat will resurrect the player (type god again to turn it off, but you get to keep your full health). Although, if you type the cheat after you die on the floor thingy, you will not be able to move because of the scripted sequence.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Interesting concept. It really is scary, I thought that some comments were exaggerating, what a surprise when I realized they weren't, xD! :blink:

Magnificent use of sound and visuals. The atmospheres were unsettling. :D

Thanks for the comments guys!
I think I've spend even less time with this map than with Kill City. OD was made in only eight hours, but I had to work really fast to make it before april 2.

User is offline   Jblade 

I definitely got a little spooked out by the map as well, really nice work Eddy!

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I wish it was longer! I am in love with Eddy's style Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I hate when loose default cons in the game directory conflict with custom stuff.
Got to the survive for a minute part and nothing happened.
Had to rename the cons and start over, by then the spooky part had been spoiled.

The sounds and how the tempo increased still did its job in making the moment more intense though.

Guys, before playing any mod, please check your game folder if there's any loose .con or .art files. One person played Octo Desperado with different artwork, and the other played with different con files instead of modified ones from mod GRP. In both cases it screwed up the experience.

Of course it's sad when players miss the chance to have a fresh experience with the mod, but the thing that bugs me is when players only realise that the mod is screwed up when they finish it, or when they can't progress anymore. C'mon guys, there's tons of clues when the mod is not running correctly. Look at Mister Sinister's screenshots - isn't that obvious that the mod isn't supposed to look like this? Mister Sinister only realised that when I told him directly about it, he thought that the mod is supposed to look like unfunny, broken garbage.

Or try to run Octo Desperado without the modified game.con, you'll see tons of non-working sprites on the level, all of them look out of place. Mikko from MSDN played the mod that way and it seems like he realised that something's wrong only when he got stuck on "survive for one minute" part. He wrote a review where he mentions the problem and warns the players about loose .con files, which I really appreciate.

All I'm trying to say, please clean up your game folder from trash before playing any mod.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 April 2016 - 04:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

how about putting that information in your template

as far as "trash" cons; those cons install into the game directory directly from the 1.3 & atomic CDs by default.

as far as i'm concerned, they are not "trash", they came with the original game

yes, some people actually do own the original CDs and run the game from original installs.

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 April 2016 - 05:10 AM

he thought that the mod is supposed to look like unfunny, broken garbage

IDK, mate, I find this to be kinda funny. :D
I admit to having a laugh at that tree chase but maybe I just have a shitty sense of humor.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 06 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMister Sinister, on 06 April 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

IDK, mate, I find this to be kinda funny. :D
I admit to having a laugh at that tree chase but maybe I just have a shitty sense of humor.

It was april fools, sooo..........
also, i would have found it pretty funny as well

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options