Duke4.net Forums: Redneck Rampage corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redneck Rampage corner  "Discussions a/b this overlooked Build powered game."

I enjoyed the living shit out of the Redneck Rampage when I was a kid, along w/ Redneck Deer Huntin, Route 66, and Rides Again back in 1998-1999. It also introduced the Psychobilly music genre. I'm now a fan of Mojo Nixon, The Beat Farmers (RIP Country Dick) and Reverend Horton Heat. The people at Xatrix Entertainment did a fine damn good job on this game. Sucks that Xatrix is no more. :D

Anyways. Since there's folks are demanding that the source code to Blood to get released under GPL. I'm surprised no one is demanding to get Redneck Rampage's source to get released under GPL so we can enjoy mod support and Mac and Linux support. I wonder who owns the Redneck Rampage IP? I heard it was Activision-Blizzard. Does anyone know?

Discuss your favorite moments, levels, TC, or whatever related to Redneck Rampage.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I loved the Redneck Rampage games too. It actually is based off the Duke 3D version of Build. It was kind of unique in that all the artwork was designed for a screen resolution of 640x480 rather than 320x200 like other Build-engine games. I still think it's hilarious that if you get killed and haven't taken a quick piss in a little while, you can come back to life by doing so.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 31 March 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

I wonder who owns the Redneck Rampage IP? I heard it was Activision-Blizzard. Does anyone know?

I think Interplay Entertainment still owns something.

as for the code, here is something on google
https://code.google..../default/source
from this thread
https://forums.duke4...age-on-eduke32/

I like the game, nothing better than riding a bike and shooting 'stuff'

This post has been edited by Hank: 31 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

I've tried eRampage. Even though Redneck Rampgae started with the Duke 3D codebase, it really doesn't feel the same.

User is offline   supergoofy 

There is also a github mirror that I posted in the other topic. The last version of erampage is v0.96b and you can get it from: http://www.dukertcm....rc-eduke32-mod/

User is offline   MetHy 

eRampage is just as bad BloodCM.

Anyway everyone need to play Rides Again In Arkansas, it fixes most of the flaws of the original game and has some great level design. The vehicule driving levels are tons of fun too, the DNF mod should have learnt from RR:RA's motorbike.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check this last screenshot. This room is amazing, it's hard to get a good pic of it though because it's very y-axis based. It mixes sector and sprite based structures to give a feel of true 3D. It also mixes Build's shading system with shading/lighting directly applied on textures to give a feel of dynamic lights. These guys sure knew how to exploit the engine.

Edit : Some more, showing the diversity in levels and the swamp vehicule, and that amazing shading and Build tricks again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everyone needs to play this game. It's the most underrated Build game ever.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 April 2016 - 05:11 AM

RRRA was one of the first games I bought myself, I have quite fond memories of it. It was fantastic fun.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMetHy, on 01 April 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This mapping style is very specific to Xatrix, you can see maps almost identical to this in Kingpin: Life of Crime. Great stuff.

Probably all done by the same guy. Rides Again is quite entertaining, moreso than the original game.

IIRC Hendricks or Terminix is in touch w/ the programmer of Redneck Rampage a/b the existence of the source code and didn't rule out if he has it. I really like to see Redneck Rampage go open source.

Here's the song that's being played in jukeboxes in-game!

User is offline   armymen 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 15 April 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

IIRC Hendricks or Terminix is in touch w/ the programmer of Redneck Rampage a/b the existence of the source code and didn't rule out if he has it. I really like to see Redneck Rampage go open source.

Here's the song that's being played in jukeboxes in-game!

thanks i've always wondered what song that was in the jukeboxes

Redneck Rampage is on sale for $2.99 on GOG.com You got 34 hours before the sale ends.

https://www.gog.com/...page_collection

GOG.com is the only place you can get Redneck Rampage DRM-Free. It's a shame that Steam doesn't have RR.

User is offline   MetHy 

That is RR + Route66 add-on + RR:RA for 3$.
That's a good opportunity for anyone who hasn't yet played Route 66 and RR:RA.

Route 66 is no Rides Again, but it's really good too. It's "just" an add-on so, unlike RA, it doesn't "fix" the flaws of the original game. However, it sure does a good job at hiding those flaws. For instance there aren't many keys which are hidden and usually you know where to use the key when you have it, you'll fight the insanely deadly Titty-Alien-Bitches in fair situations, you'll fight the dogs in situation where it doesn't show their glitchy behaviour, etc

It also has classic Sunstorm level design that will make you feel in conquered territory. For instance you will get a "Mr Splashy" vibe from the first map "Carnival of Terror" and a "Smithsonian Terror" vibe from map#08 "Mystery Dino Cave".
There is also a really cool Dam level which I'm sure made George Broussard jealous at the time.

Route 66 screenshots :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I bought the RR gog package at gog on sale a while ago, but still haven't played it. Partly because of the controls being that of a 90's dos build game.

How is everyone else playing it?

User is offline   Hank 

^ I use D-Fend Reloaded and not the GoG built-in Dos-Box version. The GoG default Dos-Box skips the setup.exe. Without setting up all available controls first, you play with the bare minimum.

First time around, I open D-Fend > Setup.exe and change the keyboard and mouse settings to suit my playing style, then I open the actual game.

You'll find this character in Rides Again, if you look hard enough,
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Not sure where you guys are getting at but changing the controls and resolution was the first thing I did. Use the "Launch Settings" icon in the GoG version.

You can use BMouse too in both RR games.

Redneck Rampage is one of the dumbest, trashiest, most disgusting games I have ever played.

and by golly is it a fun one!

I love Redneck Rampage, have some strange nostalgia associated with it involving finding it at a local drug store back in 2004 and learning DOS for the first time just to play it (I started learning computer stuff really late in the 98 era when DOS was a thing of the past in most people's eyes, and was a youngster at the time). It was one of the first Build Engine games I ever legitimately owned and one of the rare times I ever was able to acquire and older PC game at the time for my POS rig. It was before I was able to buy games online (Being a broke pre-teen with parents that did not trust online purchasing worked against me.) so having an older title like that to play was very special to me when trying to explore the world of PC gaming when I could stay with the times then.

Recently got the pack on GOG and after some tweaks, it is great to have the complete set to play before I eventually get Suckin' Grits on Route 66 and Rides Again in physical form to go with my copy of the original game.

Redneck Rampages is on sale for 5 days on GOG.com. Pick it up!

User is offline   ---- 

I haven't tried the game(s) yet.

I read above that you can set mouseaiming to true. Does this make the game control like a modern shooter (i.e: mouse aims along the X- and Y-axis* and keys let you walk foward/backward and strafe)?

*) even if it is limited in the angle you can aim up and down due to the buld engine limitations

User is offline   MetHy 

Of course you can do that. I believe you can do that in any build game (not sure about Witchaven).

You can use bMouse for better diagonals.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 May 2016 - 03:17 AM

User is offline   ---- 

Off to GoG it is, then.

Thanks. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

I just realized RR:RA has a form of RoR, which works similarly to what SW has.

Check the joined pic, it's from E1L7 the (awesome) Refinery map.

I had a look at it in mapster and this is actually 2 rooms, one above and one below. The hole is a viewportal and there are a bunch of tags that connect both. Just like SW.

Weird how it's barely used in the game at all! And when we think RoR, we think SW or Blood, not RR:RA ! Underrated game I tell you.

Edit : found other uses of RoR in the game, in E2L4 and E2L7 but it's small, just for a hole with a ladder (I suspect there may be more of those where you can find ladders in the game); and a bigger more interesting one for the whole roof of the brother in E2L6.

I really wonder how good this RoR is compared to SW's. SW's is very wonky and also laggy.

BTW looking at all these maps in mapster is absolutely sick and shows how smalltime we all are regarding Build compared to Xatrix's level designers... Some of these maps are crazy, a lot of them pretty much reach the ressource limit and are full of SoS and other crazy Build tricks.

Edit 2: pic of the brothel RoR too, the whole upper part starting from the first balcony is RoR. I can't believe I didn't notice anything before, although I did wonder how they made that effect in the Refinery map.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Between RoR that works just the same, slot machines and driveable vehicules (although very different), it looks like RR:RA was very influenced by SW.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 23 May 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

The Redneck Rampage Collection is on sale on GOG.com again. Is Interplay desperate for more money? They had like two sales; several weeks apart.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 16 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDustFalcon85, on 23 May 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

Got it, thanks! It's been decades since I played this.

Just in case you are interested, the stone-cold classic MDK is also on sale. I picked that up as I've lost my copy.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

I wanna know who owns the IP to Redneck Rampage. Does anyone know? Since there's strong hints of Blood being revived and/or having it's source code released. Will Redneck Rampage go open source in the future?

Whomever ultimately ended up with Interplay's or Xatrix's IPs.

User is offline   Lunick 

It belongs to Interplay

User is offline   Hank 

http://www.tmfile.co...rk/?q=867281421
It's with the original programmer, Rafael Paiz.

User is offline   Lunick 

That's a trademark.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLunick, on 16 July 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

That's a trademark.

Posted Image

hopeless.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options