Duke4.net Forums: Any standout levels from Duke Zone etc, and are they online? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any standout levels from Duke Zone etc, and are they online?

I've never played a shovelware compilation (or whatever we affectionally call them), it is a curiosity. Since it's just a compilation of early user maps, are any favs we might know of from the Duke Repository, MSDN, Scent88 etc on those compilation discs?

Or just in general are any good levels from those discs still online? And thoughts on the ol' Duke Zones etc in general

User is offline   Lunick 

I've been slowly going through them with my blog and marking which ones I've enjoyed the most. Here's my Pastebin with 300+ of the levels documented (maps with an * are ones I liked), I'll finish the list eventually but it is really draining sometimes.

Sort of related but I have seen there is a 150 map version of Duke!Zone as well but I haven't managed to find a download of that version

View PostLunick, on 21 March 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

I've been slowly going through them with my blog and marking which ones I've enjoyed the most. Here's my Pastebin with 300+ of the levels documented (maps with an * are ones I liked), I'll finish the list eventually but it is really draining sometimes.

Sort of related but I have seen there is a 150 map version of Duke!Zone as well but I haven't managed to find a download of that version

That's epic! Do you know if any of the SP maps you enjoy are online? I'd be curious to try some.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I've uploaded just the maps from Duke!Zone to Mediafire here if you want the full package http://www.mediafire...UKEZONEMAPS.zip

Awesome, thanks!

User is offline   Lunick 

This is the kind of stuff you will be seeing though :whistling:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've done worse texturing. :whistling:

AFTRLIFE.map | David Whitman | Afterlife | SP, DM *
BETAONE.map | Robert Travis | Beta One | SP, DM *
COOLCLUB.map | ??? | Cool Club | SP *
DUKEPROX.map | Scott McNutt | Proxyon Military Base | SP, DM *
FORTDUKE.map | Lynn Anderson | The Assault on Duke Fortress | SP, DM *
FPLANET.MAP | ??? | FPlanet | SP *
INFERNO.map | mndslayr | Inferno | SP, DM *

So these are the SP maps you've put an asterisk next to, out of 300+ maps, thanks for weeding through these. :woot: Let me know if there's any other standout that you think shouldn't be missed. And I'll play some random ones out of adventure too.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostLunick, on 21 March 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

10/10 texture work.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

What's the name of this map?

User is offline   Lunick 

That's DM-HOUSE.map

Here are some others that I think have some interesting design decisions:
Posted Image
AFTRLIFE.map

Posted Image
AIRMOBIL.map

Posted Image
AMTRAK.map

Posted Image
BODY.map

Posted Image
CANYON.map

Posted Image
CHEKRBRD.map

Posted Image

Probably this was the mapper original intention:

Posted Image

User is offline   Sanek 

This is the same maps that I have on my Nuke It CD. :whistling:
Memories.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Aren.map has some... "interesting" texture choices.

Attached Image: capt0001.jpg

This is the same maps that I have on my Nuke It CD. :whistling:
Memories.

I also had a cd compilation of levels before internet, but my copy sucked. It only had a couple of decent levels, the rest of them sucked. It didn't even have beta one and aqua maps.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLunick, on 22 March 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

AFTRLIFE.map

Posted Image

I remember playing this in DM. It was okay for duels. Small jetpack oriented map. I think those red pillars were teleporters or... ?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

I've haven't played all of these maps yet (For there are alot of them), But I did played a few though, and I noticed that in CHEVY.MAP (I think), there are these... shrunken strippers.

Attached Image: duke0096.png Attached Image: duke0097.png

Not only that, but you can actually tip them. :whistling:

Attached Image: duke0098.png

User is offline   LkMax 

I can't imagine what goes on the mind of someone that not only does this kind of thing but also releases such maps.
To all of them, "thanks" for making the internet a "better" place.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 21 March 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

I've done worse texturing. :whistling:

heh, I doubt it, there's no worse than that:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The last one reminds me of some pretty shitty maps that the guy responsible for the xbox doom port included as easter eggs or whatever (sewer and betray).

edit: grammar.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 25 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Talking about the second half of the thread title, there's no reason for them not to be online.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Judging from the screenshots, there's also no reason to play any of these...

User is offline   NNC 

I used to like DUKEPROX in those days when the quality of the usermaps were much lower.

User is offline   Lunick 

Duke!Zone map tuneup project? :D

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLunick, on 06 April 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Duke!Zone map tuneup project? :D

That would be quite cool actually - I only vaguely remember Dukezone but it might be worth organizing the maps (at least the ones with potential that aren't literally just random shapes with the same texture pasted everywhere) and stuff and then having people volunteer for work on certain maps and stuff.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 06 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

It's just something I thought of a while back since I saw the 1994 Tune-up Community project for Doom http://doomwiki.org/...mmunity_Project

User is offline   deuxsonic 

By tune-up in this case you mean "start completely over and make a whole new map."

User is offline   Lunick 

Welp, I'm done http://pastebin.com/GPNmNu60

There are 499 lose map files included on the disc and one inside a zip file so there are 500 maps. However...

The one inside the zip is a duplicate of a map which brings the actual total down to 499. 38 of the maps are either duplicates or edited versions of existing maps on the disc. 1 map isn't actually named ".map" and has to be renamed. 4 maps included appear to be test maps for testing Build engine features. 4 of the maps crash (one of them doesn't crash in DOS). NEWBOARD.map and UNDRWTR.map are not in a releasable state.

So you're actually getting about 450 maps of "content" if I can use that to describe the maps as a whole and that's if I don't include the maps that were obviously made from WAD2MAP.

If I can say one good thing about this experience, it's that we discovered MANCAR2.map

You can see screenshots of the maps as they are uploaded every day here

User is offline   NNC 

The tune-up would be great for the original maps too. Once I added stuff to E1L1 and E1L2 but it was lost in time. :)

User is offline   pacman 

I never had the original Duke Zone but I remember Duke Zone 2 had some decent maps.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options