Duke4.net Forums: Mapster new color scheme is like a broken traffic light. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster new color scheme is like a broken traffic light.

User is offline   Paul B 

Terminx how difficult would it be to toggle between the new color scheme and the classic? Maybe have this option configurable in the Mapster Launch window right below the full screen option.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

What the fuck? I'm not writing off everyone's opinions, I'm explaining the rationale behind the changes. I didn't realize it was disrespectful to say that I haven't really received any direct complaints from any of the teams I speak with who are working with Mapster32 to make maps. Not any more disrespectful than this clusterfuck of a thread devoid of any actual constructive criticism, anyway.

You were coming across as dismissive, that might not of been your intent but bringing up the commercial aspect had nothing to do with the conversation and looked like you were saying "well none of us professionals have any problems with the colour scheme" I don't want a fight over this anyway.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJblade, on 13 March 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

You were coming across as dismissive, that might not of been your intent but bringing up the commercial aspect had nothing to do with the conversation and looked like you were saying "well none of us professionals have any problems with the colour scheme" I don't want a fight over this anyway.

Oh, yeah, that's definitely not what I was trying to say. It was more of a "I don't understand why there are so many vocal complaints here when nobody I'm working with has anything similar to say". I have gotten complaints about the blocking walls, but I haven't quite figured out how best to solve it yet.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTerminX, on 13 March 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

The flashing black is a bug I need to fix. Blocking indicators need some work as well--they are purple, but the Duke pal doesn't really have a purple range that works well here. Sprites don't change color when blocking anymore because it's a complete waste to have something as big of an indicator as a color swap used for showing a flag on sprites that the game changes to whatever it wants at map load time anyway. When was the last time it was more important to know quickly whether an object had a disposable flag applied, instead of what the object itself actually is?

I always reply to a direct quote:
For now I modified the tiles.cfg file to suit my color preference and so the blocked sprites stand out.
I'm happy waiting for your bug fixes, since those bugs do not inhibit my ability to make some more maps. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

User is offline   Mark 

is it a pretty easy to spot tweak?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 14 March 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

is it a pretty easy to spot tweak?

Look in the spoiler section of my previous post for the details. Below is the actual file I use right now.
Attached File  tiles.zip (2.49K)
Number of downloads: 100 ... but you can change to other colors as you wish. Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTerminX, on 13 March 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Sprites don't change color when blocking anymore because it's a complete waste to have something as big of an indicator as a color swap used for showing a flag on sprites that the game changes to whatever it wants at map load time anyway. When was the last time it was more important to know quickly whether an object had a disposable flag applied, instead of what the object itself actually is?

Overall I find it weird how you some of you have so much trouble with the colorized sprites in 2D mode when I don't see such complaints from the teams actually using Mapster32 to make stuff for commercial games. The whole point is to be able to tell sprites apart at a glance without having to actually read the labels for everything, which were previously potentially all the same color--not really a good design cue when everything displays overlapped on top of everything else.

apparently these 'professional' teams aren't making underwater maps.
there's a big difference between how a blocking and non-blocking non-actor sprite placed in an underwater environment affects the player (Duke).

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

• el fundador

I put the colored blocking indicator back in a few days ago, but nobody noticed or commented on it. :whistling:

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTerminX, on 18 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

I put the colored blocking indicator back in a few days ago, but nobody noticed or commented on it. :whistling:

It looks like you fixed the SE sprite flashing also. Posted Image

My profuse and deepest apologies of not noticing it, but I download stuff only on Sundays, and today is only Friday. Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Been a bit busy, but yeah I saw it - thanks a lot for putting it in for us :whistling:

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTerminX, on 18 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

OK the thing is that on my end it looks the same, the only reason I see is that the mod that I'm working atm has a different palette that shows that almost red color as red, it works OK on vanilla. I didn't mean to be rude, just point an issue out that I thought was bugging another mappers as well in a way to attract attention, since it was giving me crazy.

I will keep using an oldest synthesis since most of my maps relies on the use of purple blocking walls to divide areas and to avoid being squished by sloped architecture, using dozens of non-blocking floor decor so I need an easy and quick (even in a zoomed out view) to know what is blocking and what not. Force the mapper to define its own color indicators or stuff even if it's an easy task doesn't seem like a solution to me, we can always going back to older synthesis that fit our needs.

Attached Image: Street.jpg

Thanks for the other fixes though.

• el fundador

Show me a screenshot of it working poorly for you.

User is offline   Spiker 

I'd rather the blocking indication was the same as it was before(It is really significant to know it at a glance). I bet devs could find something more challenging than changing colors of something that never was a problem in the first place.

User is offline   Mark 

here is a comparison between 4593 and 5671 in his WGR2 mod. I goofed, they are not at the same exact position. You have to scroll to the right on the second pic. Basically the purple is not as intense as before and obviously the sprites are not their original bright, solid purple when blocking. At least I can see the difference now.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0001.png
  • Attached Image: capt0002.png

This post has been edited by Mark.: 26 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTerminX, on 26 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Show me a screenshot of it working poorly for you.

Basically what Marked already pointed out.

In my case the blocking walls don't show as pink (I know is something on my end and maybe it can be easily fixed)
r5671

r4871

Anyway I opened the maps in a vanilla folder.

My thoughts are that the original color scheme worked just fine. I don't know if it's just me but the new is a bit confusing and some things can be easily missed, maybe I'm just too accustomed to the old color scheme.

r4873

r5671

Even harder to notice the difference on underwater areas:

What I was trying to prove is that this whole post isn't just a personal taste or inclination for some colors, but that it isn't too fair to change the color code of a system that has always worked fine, and expect the user to get accustomed to it. I didn't want to criticize the work of any developer, not offense intended, just suggesting to get back an already functional feature that was designed for some specific reasons in mind. I still would like to know out of curiosity the reasons why a mapper would like to know the average color of a sprite on 2D mode and make it a default setting.

EDIT: I re-read every single post in this thread, and I don't see any comment (apart from Hank's) saying someone actually like the new color scheme, or that is functional to them. Also I know TX is already aware of the purple/pink issue but haven't figured yet the best way to solve it using Duke's palette, that's why fullbright colors has always worked fine, there must be a more contrasting color that isn't already used for something, maybe orange or light blue?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options