Duke4.net Forums: eduke32 main menu causes coil whine, but not with console open - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eduke32 main menu causes coil whine, but not with console open  "GTX 970"

This is more of a discussion topic than a bug, but I guess it fits more in here? Or maybe not, I'm not sure.

Just interesting and odd, I got a GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR the other day, digging it. Played several modern games etc. Only time I've ever heard coil whine is whenever I'm on the eDuke32 main menu, and the startup nuke sequence too. But I don't get any coil whine the moment I enter a level, none while playing. Also, weirdest of all, if I hit ~ and open console on the main menu, the coil whine goes away until I close console.

It's funny because I can control the whine just by hitting console, like a DJ on a turntable. Just interesting and odd. For the record I've always had my FPS limit set to 200 in eduke32, I've tried lowering it for this test, since I've heard that can be associated with coil whine. But again, it doesn't happen during gameplay, only happens on the main menu. And not if console is open.

I figure somewhere in the code of eduke32, this probably means something, and maybe somebody can get something out of this observation. It happens on the latest dev build, all the way back to the oldest one I have 4069. Right down to the quirk of opening console stopping the whine.

I know the GTX 970 is known for coil whine, but this particular behavior in eduke32 is still very interesting/odd. I generally play polymost 1080p, but I do notice there's no whine if I pick classic renderer. Polymer also has whine but less noticeable than polymost.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 08 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The frame limiter currently has no effect on the main menu.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 March 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

The frame limiter currently has no effect on the main menu.

Interesting, I wonder if that would fix the coil whine issue. As random as that may be.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Try capping the framerate at 60 at the driver level. You won't notice a difference in performance and games start acting weird with framerates that high anyway.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 09 March 2016 - 04:16 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 09 March 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

Try capping the framerate at 60 at the driver level. You won't notice a difference in performance and games start acting weird with framerates that high anyway.

Is there a way to do that for just eduke32 in particular? Would stuff like an nvidia frame capping thing recognize eduke32, etc?

Yes, the game profiles are used for this in the settings. You can create a new one. Have it apply to eduke32.exe.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 09 March 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Yes, the game profiles are used for this in the settings. You can create a new one. Have it apply to eduke32.exe.

Which program do you recommend getting for this? Or where in Geforce Experience / Geforce Control Panel is this, I've actually never used it. Thanks. I know there are also several programs out there for this. The Geforce Experience gamescan thing anyway just finds a few big mainstream games.

Looks like Nvidia Inspector or Precision X are my best options. I've also seen RivaTuner mentioned.

edit: Ah, I found the game profiles thing under Manage 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel, added the latest eduke in there. I see Vertical Sync is an option on there, which is something, but not seeing more specific frame rate limiting. Also for the record, it doesn't let me change anything for eduke32. If I select say a vertical sync option, afterwords it just goes back to "use global setting".

Though a vertical sync 60fps isn't what I'm looking for specifically, just looking to keep the FPS from going crazy into several hundreds, at least as an idea to stop the menu coil whine. And Polymost is my jam for the record.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 09 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

odd that the Nvidia control panel keeps resetting. It's what I use, and it works fine.
I set my vertical sync to adaptive and it limits the fps in eduke
Dumb question, but I need to ask - are you hitting the apply button at the bottom of the panel after you make changes?
Maybe you need to remove the current profile and re-add a new one for eduke32.exe

also check that the Power Management mode is to be either 'adaptive' or 'use global setting' & not at max performance for the eduke32 profile.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostForge, on 09 March 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

odd that the Nvidia control panel keeps resetting. It's what I use, and it works fine.
I set my vertical sync to adaptive and it limits the fps in eduke
Dumb question, but I need to ask - are you hitting the apply button at the bottom of the panel after you make changes?
Maybe you need to remove the current profile and re-add a new one for eduke32.exe

also check that the Power Management mode is to be either 'adaptive' or 'use global setting' & not at max performance for the eduke32 profile.

It kept resetting to global right after I clicked on something, so I didn't get a chance to hit apply. Not sure why but I just tried again and it worked, so thanks for pointing this out.

Another question, I've heard triple buffering is good to have on if you're doing vertical sync with an OpenGL game, is triple buffering good for eduke?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i've always left mine off.
but maybe it would make a difference with your higher end card.

all i can say is get a couple maps with varying detailing and large open areas and try them out with triple on & off to see if it makes any difference for you.

Thanks. Well, after trying it out, any of the Nvidia forced vsync options make the mouse look feel laggy and awful in Duke3D for me, so I won't be using those. But, it did stop the coil whine, so it's interesting as an experiment.

If the option to have your chosen frame rate limit apply to the main menu could be added to eduke, that would be a beautiful thing. Just something to throw onto the pile.

I use Nvidia Inspector in conjunction with the Nvidia Control Panel so that when I change drivers I can very quickly load all of my settings in again. Any changes made should not be resetting. I've never had that happen actually. Nvidia Inspector provides access to a lot of settings you otherwise wouldn't have access to, so things like global framerate capping become possible. I like to force all of my settings at the driver level so that no matter how the game acts, they're always used. Newer games tend to already have a cap in place. A long time ago I wouldn't have bothered but after seeing how nice it is to have everything running at 60 and no higher, I prefer to just have that enforced globally.

Triple buffering should only be used with V-sync on as a way to try and temper the control lag that Vsync creates (the reason I never use it.) If you have V-sync enabled then the framerate will never go above the monitor's vertical refresh anyway which essentially caps it at 60 on most monitors but the control lag and jutter is a big problem, hence G-sync and other such hardware solutions to it.

A lot of games actually have crazy high framerates at the menu. I know a lot of Unreal Engine games can jump into the thousands at the menu which does nothing but create problems.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 10 March 2016 - 06:31 AM

Figured I'd just ask, is there any way having a frame-rate cap on the main menu of eduke32 could be implimented? Since there are so many updates (which is appreciated), if there is a way to fix this, it would be cool. Still to this day the menu is the only thing that gives me coil whine, and also pr-boom+ when the FPS is uncapped. (though I usually use GZDoom at 120 fps for Doom, which has no coil whine).

Either just having the user's chosen FPS cap apply to the main menu (120 FPS for example), or an option in the menu to cap the FPS in the menu to anything low that you want say 60 etc, independent from the gameplay FPS cap (if that is easier to implement somehow) - "menu FPS cap on/off", etc. In general it's an oddity that would be cool to fix, if it's fixable.

For example, if I start playing a map, then open the menu with Esc and peruse it to pick another map etc, there's no coil whine. So the menu without coil whine seems like it could happen, it just needs the FPS cap that at the moment is not implemented into the menu unless you're in a game.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 22 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Good timing, we're working on this today.

Thanks, that is cool timing!

Unrelated, I like the Z-fighting fix thing in one of the recent builds changelog (just got 6221, had been using 6135), it fixed some letters not appearing on a map.

• Weaponized Autism

Is the latest synthesis build any better?

Yep, that fixed it, no coil whine! Thanks for that and all the other work on eduke.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options