Duke4.net Forums: Ghostbusters 2016 - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghostbusters 2016

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Why do I want people who insult and misrepresent me to succeed by giving them my money? I don't even care if it's good anymore.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Nobody personally insulted you. They don't know you even exist.

You're not giving "them" your money, you're giving it to the theatre showing the film and studio distributing it, which had a deal with production studio, which hired people you don't like. You either want to watch movie in theatre, for which you're gonna give money to aforementioned parties, or don't(for whatever reasons). But don't make it about you versus them.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 10 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's currently scoring 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't bad. https://www.rottento...stbusters_2016/

I'm going to predict that it will have only modest box office success, though. It won't flop but it won't have legs, either.

Personally I'm not interested in a Ghostbusters remake of any kind, regardless of gender. Also the trailer didn't look funny at all.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 July 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'm going to predict that it will have only modest box office success, though. It won't flop but it won't have legs, either.

With 150m budget modest success can be considered a flop. It also has enough competition in the coming weeks so that even good reception won't save it from quickly going down.

User is offline   X-Vector 

It's fairly odd to see some people getting worked up over the supposed insultingly femimist slant of this film when its director, cinematographer and soundtrack composer are all male, as well as the majority of the acting cast and production crew.
The only exception seems to be the makeup department - hardcore feminism indeed.

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 11 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 July 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

It's currently scoring 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't bad. https://www.rottento...stbusters_2016/

Critics can be bought.

It currently has a 4.8/10 on IMDB based on ~1300 user ratings. It'll be interesting to see how the score evolves over the next few days and weeks, although in my experience it generally starts off high as the fans see it first, and then declines. Although it's possible that might have the opposite effect in this case Posted Image

View PostTea Monster, on 10 July 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Jesus. At least watch the damn thing first. If you've seen it and then you suffer from basement-dweller apoplexy, then fine.

We're judging our opinions based on the trailers. Keep in mind that trailers usually try very hard to show off the best bits of the movie. This is especially the case with comedies; for action movies you can show a split second or so of an action sequence without spoiling much, yet with comedies you tend to need to show the whole joke for it to have any effect.

Given the above point, and that they've shown a lot of both the jokes and overall plot in the many trailers, and that everything new we've seen simply adds to the impression that it's written with cheap, unfunny humour, that we're allowed to say it's rubbish and that we won't se it.

Have you guys heard the new theme on youtube? The people behind this movie are so, so out of touch.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

Critics can be bought.

It currently has a 4.8/10 on IMDB based on ~1300 user ratings. It'll be interesting to see how the score evolves over the next few days and weeks, although in my experience it generally starts off high as the fans see it first, and then declines. Although it's possible that might have the opposite effect in this case Posted Image

I have no reason to believe that I would enjoy the movie myself, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment. Critics can be bought, but they can also simply have different opinions from you. I think it's more likely that the positive reviewers actually enjoyed the film. That doesn't mean that their opinions are going to be representative of the general movie going population, though. But as for IMBD users -- I wonder how many of those 1300 users have actually seen the movie? I would guess that in many cases, they haven't and are just echoing the negative things they have heard.

In any case, the film definitely has an image problem that will hurt its bottom line. It's supposed to be a comedy, not a referendum on gender roles. Even if the majority supports this new take on the characters, that doesn't mean it will translate into butts in movie seats. Simply put: people are talking about the film for the wrong reasons. You don't get people to go to a comedy by attacking the film's detractors as sexists. I'm not necessarily blaming anyone whose job it is to promote the film for doing that, but it's happening regardless, and right or wrong it creates an aura of negativity around the film. EDIT: To be sure, there will be some people who will see the film because of the controversy, and they will pretend to love it (or in some cases, actually love it). But for every one of those, there will be 2 or 3 who will stay away.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 11 July 2016 - 02:22 AM

• Honored Donor

Yeah you've got a good point, it's possible a reasonable proportion of those votes are purely out of spite and by people who haven't seen the film. In fact it's probably highly likely since the majority of people voted for 1/10 which feels like a very emotional rating.

I just saw the IGN review for the film; the reviewer goes on to list all these bad points about the movie like a derivative plot etc, and then goes on to rate it a 6.9/10. It's possible the reviewers could have different tastes, but they were playing all these supposed comedy highlights from the movie during the review and I couldn't have sat here with a straighter face if I was playing poker. We're talking about trailers so bad that I was kind of looking forward to seeing it after the first one (albeit with low expectations), and then got put off completely by the following ones. I'm not sure if a difference of taste can account for such a large discrepancy.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

Critics can be bought.

Here we go again... :P The main "reason" for good reviews in video games is also usable for movie reviews. I'm always interested in procedures involved and whether buying them at wholesale mean big fat discounts. Of course, you don't need to back it up by facts.

IMDB rating are always a joke in the first week. Let it go up to tens of thousands to judge the general reception.

User is offline   Merlijn 

A lot of positive reviews are mostly saying it's just ok/not bad.
Not exactly glowing, but I'll admit it's also not the collosal bomb I was expecting it to be.

But I think we can all can agree that, even if the final film turns out to be decent, the marketing for this film has been absolutely terrible.
If the actual film is good, then I don't understand how you end up with such poor trailers (not just one, all of them were bad).

It still feels like they tried to sell this movie on the "controversy" instead of the actual quality of the movie.
And I also think that's the real reason it put a lot of people off.

It's supposed to be a comedy, not a referendum on gender roles.

I completely agree with this.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 July 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

It's supposed to be a comedy, not a referendum on gender roles.

It *is* supposed to be a referendum on gender roles according to the people who made it.

• The Sarien Encounter

The director called geeks a bunch of assholes. They refuse to take any criticism as anything other than misogyny. Yes, it is about me vs them. I don't want their film to succeed so I will not pay for it. Screw them.

User is offline   Hank 

Paul Feig is a Geek himself, and made a statement about how his comments were and apparently still are distorted in the media, and his original intent.
https://twitter.com/...461469427867648

As for the movie - not interested, not into comedy much, be it all women or all men or all children or all gays or all black women or all brown women or all green men or gender neutral or robots or men/women etc. if it funny it is funny because it is actually funny. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostHank, on 11 July 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

Paul Feig is a Geek himself, and made a statement about how his comments were and apparently still are distorted in the media, and his original intent.

We should play poker.

User is offline   Kathy 

Btw, that 2nd international trailer looks somewhat fun.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHank, on 11 July 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

https://twitter.com/...461469427867648

Ok, so Paul is off the hook. Good on him. The rest of the cast and crew still have said terrible things and unneccesarily push the whole "girl power" nonsense. Anyway, going back to not seeing it because it's not funny.

• Duke Plus Developer

It's all about presentation and attitude. If they had just said "Hey it's gender bent Ghostbusters! A new twist on the classic!" then I doubt that very many people would have been annoyed. If you start to act like you are making a serious social statement, then it gets annoying.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostEngel220, on 10 July 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

This is a man who has said in the past that men aren't funny and that geek culture is full of assholes, after all.

well, that second part isn't exactly wrong.

This post has been edited by CruX: 11 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

• Honored Donor

When did they actually turn it into a social statement anyway? The earliest I saw was when the main stars and several behind the scenes women were holding up a "girl power" poster in a photo. But I feel like it was earlier.

Btw I don't know why everyone keeps talking about ghostbusters as a comedy. It's a supernatural horror comedy hybrid. IMO the first two things are the main ones to get right, with the comedy being a bonus.
Now, they've pushed so hard in the comedy angle that it's not remotely scary, and the supernatural elements are almost incidental.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWieder, on 11 July 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

We should play poker.

Yep, don't forget to bring your full wallet. :P

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 July 2016 - 11:39 AM, said:

Ok, so Paul is off the hook. Good on him. The rest of the cast and crew still have said terrible things and unneccesarily push the whole "girl power" nonsense. Anyway, going back to not seeing it because it's not funny.

It's Hollywood, pretending to matter. They matter only to those who actually take them seriously.
Probably, low funny level, based on some clips I've seen; but I don't have a sense of humor to begin with, so I'll pass on this flick too. :)

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

When did they actually turn it into a social statement anyway? The earliest I saw was when the main stars and several behind the scenes women were holding up a "girl power" poster in a photo. But I feel like it was earlier.

Btw I don't know why everyone keeps talking about ghostbusters as a comedy. It's a supernatural horror comedy hybrid. IMO the first two things are the main ones to get right, with the comedy being a bonus.
Now, they've pushed so hard in the comedy angle that it's not remotely scary, and the supernatural elements are almost incidental.

I feel like they've been pushing it since before it was even made. I recall discussion of an all-female Ghostbusters without any actresses signed where they were trying to push it like it was a good idea. I even remember Bill Murray naming a few actresses he would love to see in an all-female Ghostbusters. Which is fine, but the way the media was pushing it just seemed like they were trying too hard even way back then.

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

When did they actually turn it into a social statement anyway?

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

The deliciously ironic thing about that picture is that it makes it all the easier to say which women fucked up Posted Image

If there were men in it then everyone can share the blame, but that isn't the case. I'm sure plenty of men are responsible for the movie turning out as dodgy as it did, particularly Paul Fieg, but that's not the message they're sending us here Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

The deliciously ironic thing about that picture is that it makes it all the easier to say which women fucked up

So sexist.

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

If there were men in it then everyone can share the blame, but that isn't the case. I'm sure plenty of men are responsible for the movie turning out as dodgy as it did, particularly Paul Fieg, but that's not the message they're sending us here

If there was even one man in it the sign would say "Man Power" and would be proof of the patriarchal ability to make several dozen women obey the direction (Director Vision) of one man in the interest of those women seeking personal gain.

Woman Power is just another illusion of the Patriarchy. There is no such thing as Woman power. Only Girl power. Stay a girl. Because freedom is found in being a permanent girl. Only Women have any power compared to men... don't ever be a Woman... just be a girl and complain... ergo power.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 12 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

• Honored Donor

I was making a joke with that first line, and with that second line to a lesser extent.

You raise some good points though. I'm sure a part of it is that it's simply more catchy to have the one syllable 'girl' or 'man' as opposed to 'woman', but It does have an oppressive overtone.

While our society does have inequalities, surely in this day and age the movie shouldn't have needed to make any kind of deal out of women being in the movie by releasing that girl power promotional image? I mean there have been plenty of strong female leads in the last few years, including the last and next Star Wars movie, and some of the more teenage/young adult oriented series like Hunger Games or Divergent. Then suddenly Ghostbusters comes along and think they're special? As others have said they should have simply announced the female cast and gone about their business.

Edit: The rating on IMDB is slowly clawing it's way back from 3.6/10 (currently 3.8/10 with around ~7000 votes) so that's a positive sign.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 12 July 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

As others have said they should have simply announced the female cast and gone about their business.

Weren't they doing exactly that before releasing the first trailer? then trailer's reaction prompted counter-reaction and so forth.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Posted Image

I was making a joke with that first line, and with that second line to a lesser extent.

It concerns me greatly that you think I don't know this.

You raise some good points though. I'm sure a part of it is that it's simply more catchy to have the one syllable 'girl' or 'man' as opposed to 'woman', but It does have an oppressive overtone.

It has the initialization overtone.

While our society does have inequalities...

Good!

...surely in this day and age the movie shouldn't have needed to make any kind of deal out of women being in the movie by releasing that girl power promotional image?

I'm seriously asking... are you joking?

I mean there have been plenty of strong female leads in the last few years,

No shit.

including the last and next Star Wars movie,

Criticize her, if you can.

and some of the more teenage/young adult oriented series like Hunger Games or Divergent.

So inspiring, perfect upon discovery just waiting for the opportunity to be appreciated.

Then suddenly Ghostbusters comes along and think they're special? As others have said they should have simply announced the female cast and gone about their business.

The only thing they failed to do compared to the others saying "LOOK I'M A GIRL DOING BOY THINGS" was be of high quality in execution.

Edit: The rating on IMDB is slowly clawing it's way back from 3.6/10 (currently 3.8/10 with around ~7000 votes) so that's a positive sign.

Positive sign of what?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostWieder, on 12 July 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

"LOOK I'M A GIRL DOING BOY THINGS"

AHHHHHHHHHAhahaahashahshahahsaaa. Ha.
Seriously though, the West is getting feminized all to hell and it TAINT good!

With a new female leader coming to a district near you! and you, and you, and you..

This post has been edited by Robman: 12 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostWieder, on 12 July 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'm seriously asking... are you joking?

I don't get Aussie humor either.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options