Duke4.net Forums: Extreme ROTT level problem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extreme ROTT level problem

User is offline   nukemania 

I can't access E2M4 of the Extreme ROTT addon without the warp cheat. I think it should be accessible through E2M1, where you have 2 choices of exit. One leads to E2M2; I think the other one is supposed to go to the fourth level, but instead, it goes to the fifth one. The fourth level of E2 isn't a secret one and shouldn't be a warp-only level either.

I tried downloading the addon from different sources; I also tried changing my ROTT version with the patches (mine is the 1.2 CD version) and all have the same result.

Can anyone confirm this with their copy of the game? Understandably, there's little in-depth coverage of the levels in this addon.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

The only extensive review of EROTT that I know of is this one by Psychedelic Eyeball. IIRC he mentions something about some level sequences being broken/unwinnable, although I'm not sure if this includes the issue that you're having.

Yeah I checked that video while trying to get more info on this. However, it doesn't really go into this level problem. He's got a really good LP of the main game that I want to watch someday.

According to him, and what does seem to make sense, each path should have 3 levels before the boss. I'm not sure why for me, it's skipping one of the levels.

This post has been edited by nukemania: 05 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

(I will say level #?? by based on E1L1 is #0, E1L2 is #1, etc...since I can only access the MAPEDROT editor for DOS, as other 16bits Windows editors like ROTTED v1.1 can't run at x64 system. :woot: And the Birger's Rott3Deditor tool just don't have info plane's detail data, just plain raw bits value which not good for my laziness...)

After checked the rest of E2 levels on MAPEDROT editor.

It seems that's a bug on E2L1(level #8), the one of exit should goes to E2L2(#9) and the other one should goes E2L4(#11), but it was set on E2L5(#12).

Here is the routes on both exits on E2L1...

===
Low Road: E2L2(#9) -> E2L3(#10) -> E2L8(#15) -> E2L7(#14, Boss Level)

High Road: E2L5(#12) -> E2L6(#13) -> E2L7(#14)
===

Yes, the #11 level(E2L4) just missing, because the #12 was set on the "High Road" exit.

And I checked the E2L4(#11), and its exit set to E2L5(#12), so confirmed E2L4 was intended to goes from E2L1's "High Road" exit, since I didn't found extra/secret exits on all other of levels in E2, so I can safe to say unless you use level jumping cheat or edited the Extreme.RTL data, then E2L4 was unable to play by normal means.

I don't know if there was discusses in regard to this inaccessible E2L4 level but I guess my explains should be enough... :whistling:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 05 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Thanks a lot!
That's definitely a solid explanation, especially since you checked with the editor. I guess the guy in that video review of this add-on made a slight error.

Want to make an update on this. I finished the entirety of this expansion pack and found some things not mentioned in the video that I think would be useful to anyone who may want to try it out in the future. There's an inaccuracy here or there in the video review of this

SPOILERS:

-E1's secret level is reached through E1A3 (Triadagio) secret exit. Just before the regular exit, you hit a switch that will move 2 square wall blocks that are in front of you forward; you have to outrun them by running between them and getting behind the left one before it seals a hidden passage. But you can only reach it with Thi Barrett and Lorelei Ni, and it's very difficult to do with the former. AFAIK, it's impossible with any of the male characters. Trying to run between the moving walls really slows you down, so you have to kind of strafe left and right frantically as you're moving forward to try to speed up. It seems only the two women are fast enough to get behind the left wall before it seals up the hidden passage.

-E2 has no actual secret level; the E2A8 (Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!) in this pack is a regular level that can be reached through the low road path in E2A1 (High Road, Low Road), as discussed previously.

-E3's secret level is located in the very first stage of the episode, Overview. There are no strings attached to this one, it's the fairest one to reach.

-E4's secret level (95 Windows) is supposed to be reached through E4A3 (A Boulder Vision) secret exit; however, that one's also broken and will just instead take you to E4A4 (Pyrus Peak) like the regular exit. Because of this, E4A8 is an unintentional warp-only level.

-The following levels were presumed to be warp-only, but in fact can be reached without cheating. The first in the list, Danger Mouth, is accessed through a secret exit in E4A1 (Halls of Walls). Every level after it can be reached through the level before it, with only 1 exit in all of these.

E4A11 (Danger Mouth)
E4A12 (Fencing)
E4A13 (Welcome to the Machine)
E4A16 (Fire Flight)
E4A17 (Run Like Heaven)
E4A18 (Stupid Dog Tricks)

I'm pretty sure some of these are unintentionally in the cycle (ie, the last 2).

-So there are a total of 4 warp-only levels, the first 2 of them being due to design errors:

E2A4 (Lightning Strikes)
E4A8 (95 Windows)
E4A14 (Gods of Annihilation)
E4A15 (The Grand Vomitorium)

This post has been edited by nukemania: 10 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options