Duke4.net Forums: What's the history behind your username? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the history behind your username?  "Lets take a look back at your player/online alias,whatever you call it"

How did you come up with your online name, and why have you stuck with it?

User is online   Jblade 

I picked Jblade because I was a teenager and I thought it sounded cool, the 35 part was just cause I needed a number at the end, I haven't changed it because A) changing handle is pointless since the whole point of it is so people can identify you and B ) I still like it because it's not a lame attempt to be funny or entertaining.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 03 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Methos from the TV Series Highlander (who is the oldest, most knowledgeable immortal character of the series, aged 5000+ years) + the "Hunter" enemy from Resident Evil = MetHunter
Short by MetHy

I was 11. Only later did I realize it could also sound like a junkie name.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Been using Loke (Swedish/Norwegian/Danish spelling of Loki) since 2003 when I singed up for the halflife2.net website (now known as ValveTime.net). Picked it because it sounded cool and I am generally bad at coming up with original names. Unfortunately it's a pretty common name on the internet so I usually have to steal other Norse mythology names (or just go with Risgrynsgröt!).

User is offline   Jolteon 

I choose Jolteon, for the name comes from Pokemon, and Jolteon is actually my #1 favorite Pokemon. :whistling:

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMetHy, on 03 March 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

Thankyou for clearing up a long running question I've had, lol
-------------------- -------------- ------------ -------------- ------------ ----------------

It was 1997, I was 14 years old and had a shiny new ($3000) Aptiva E03 desktop computer at my disposal.
Shadow Warrior shareware and Duke3d's bits of data were still somewhat virginal in the fresh 2.1GB Quantum Bigfoot sectors.
I had played a few dial-up modem games against a few friends, however I had just gained some dial-up internet and that meant TEN.NET!

Finally I could log on and play against more than 1 other person at a time, it was incredible.

I needed a username and password for TEN and I couldn't think of anything,
The Simpsons were on TV in the background and Apu said his classic line "please come again!" and that was it.
ApuPlease was my username for a good 4 months until I changed it to Robman, which a childhood friend used to call me.
A simple combination of real name and gender has long since remained my interweb handle.

This post has been edited by Robman: 03 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostJblade, on 03 March 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

I picked Jblade because I was a teenager and I thought it sounded cool, the 35 part was just cause I needed a number at the end, I haven't changed it because A) changing handle is pointless since the whole point of it is so people can identify you and B ) I still like it because it's not a lame attempt to be funny or entertaining.

Huh, I thought it's because it's the name of the protagonist of SiN, John Blade.

User is online   Jblade 

View PostPikaCommando, on 03 March 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Huh, I thought it's because it's the name of the protagonist of SiN, John Blade.

Nah, I do love that game but I didn't play it until quite a long time after it's release (and after I'd picked my nickname)

I'm a fan of David Bowie, been one ever since I first heard "Space Oddity"---which I actually performed at a talent show of sorts at my high school, in eighth grade. Hearing that he died earlier this year was like a punch to the gut...I'd always wanted to meet him, however unlikely that might've been.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 03 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I like foxes and I wanted something generic and untraceable.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Commando Nukem, as in the movie Commando, and Duke Nukem.

I don't know, I just couldn't think of anything. So it stuck.

User is offline   LkMax 

I have "LkMax" since I was a kid and just didn't think of something better yet (I don't like it very much nowadays).
It was a union of Lk fom "Luke" (my nickname) and Max from "Maximus" (Latin term for "greatest"). Yeah, I suck at making names.

View PostFox, on 03 March 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

I like foxes and I wanted something generic and untraceable.

Like them? I thought you loved them. =P
Also, paranoid much?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMetHy, on 03 March 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

Methos from the TV Series Highlander (who is the oldest, most knowledgeable immortal character of the series, aged 5000+ years) + the "Hunter" enemy from Resident Evil = MetHunter
Short by MetHy

Reminds me of my Quake 3 player name.
When it came out, my favorite character was Visor. I would play online with that name and character acting like a bot. I eventually started deleting the name to make a new one, but it ended up at "Vor" and I thought it sounded cool.
I changed it up a bit and typed a couple random letters and got the name "Nov" and kept it for a while.
Sometime later I found out how to make colors in the name, and then eventually settled on adding the acronym "Ice" in light blue color after "Nov" because I would play as the blue team version and it reminded me of Sub-Zero.
It wasn't until I looked at it later that I realized I essentially named myself "Novice"

As for HulkNukem, it just sounded kinda cool and I just mashed a pic of Hogan with Nukem together for an avatar.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 03 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

With my Commodore Vic-20 and C64SX and a VicModem, I first got "on line" in 1984. (CompuServe) So I needed a user name of course. Being a silently rebellious teen at the time, I chose this name as it reflected my gender (or at least the gender I wanted to portray) my tendency to prefer mostly black clothing, and cat-like movement derived from martial arts. It just seemed to described the most about myself I could in a "name".
Over the years the name was used on various systems so I used variations such as BlackCat, MrBlakCat, TheBlackCat, TheMrBlackCat, TheRealMrBlackCat, and a couple others I can't remember right off.

MrBlackCat ; )

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 03 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Yawn, my name is Mark. I tried to sign up with that but it was taken. So I chose Marked. Later I changed it to Mark. with a period at the end. Clever isn't it.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLkMax, on 03 March 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

Also, paranoid much?

Today? Nope.

User is offline   CruX 

I dunno, I just think the word "crux" is cool.

Old handle for a really long time was EmericaSkater, which was a nick I used a lot on messengers and shit when I was like, 16. I skated a lot back in the day and Emerica skate shoes tended to be my favorite because they had these rubber guards around the toes, which kept the grip tape from wearing through the shoe as fast. If you skate and can at least do a kickflip, you probably know why that's a good thing.

It was a retarded handle and I knew that, but I hung onto it for so long out of nostalgia. It was only in the past year or so that I decided to change it for personal reasons.

This post has been edited by CruX: 03 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

User is offline   juvenite 

I just wanted an emo nickname to match my dark soul. So there it is, Meaningless Wounds :whistling:
You can call me MWounds too btw.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 03 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Forge. taken from the name reforger. As in the military exercise reforger.
Exercise Reforger 1988. The biggest operational ground maneuver of it's kind in europe since WWII. It's when we broke in the M1A1 Abrams tanks.

we would do things like camp at a location, then after dark we'd pack up, leave, and drive around these back roads all night long. Suddenly we just stop. As dawn broke we'd be places like sitting on the mount tops overlooking Heidelberg or on the plains outside Berlin.

The experience left an impression on me.

User is offline   Jeff 

It's my first name.

User is offline   Gambini 

I got my nickname from My Cousin Vinny. I loved the character and found it to be very funny that he was running as Vincent Gallo at some point (because lied the judge about his grade). Gallo is my actual lastname, so I thought that if he borrowed mine I could borrow his.

User is offline   Malgon 

I think it was around one of the last times I had read through The Lord of the Rings and I was thinking about Gondor and the word malcontent popped into my head, and I thought 'Malcontent of Gondor' sounded kind of cool, so hence Malgon. I use it at other sites too, sometimes with 3DR at the end of it, as it was the 3DR forums where I originally started using the name. Interestingly, I remember wanting to start this exact topic over at the 3DR forums, but at that time you had to get Joe to approve any new threads in the General Messages section, due to all the problems that were going on. It never went through, and I can't remember if I received any reason for it not going ahead. I'm sure there were a lot of cool little stories that people would have had if it did go through. :whistling:

User is offline   Lunick 

It's the default name for a spinoff Pokemon game.

User is offline   Steve 64 

Demon Duke Cause I think Duke Nukem is more of a Demon

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

My current one is a mystery never to be solved or revealed.

My first internet name was RipFan because Cal Ripken Jr. was my hero.

View PostMalgon, on 04 March 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

I use it at other sites too, sometimes with 3DR at the end of it...

wieder3dr.com officially expired yesterday.

User is online   zykov eddy 

My first nickname was Piterplus jr, and it was my dad's idea to give me that nickname (he was called Piterplus on 3D Realms forums). Few years later I tried to come up with something more original, but just couldn't. So I took my first name (Eduard), then took my last name (Zikov), and made a bizarre combination out of them. Yeah, it's lazy and kinda makes the idea of having a nickname pointless.

Also, because of my nickname, people in Russia think my last name is pronounced Zhukov instead of Zikov (Zhukov is a more common last name in my country than Zikov). It's because the "y" part of nickname looks kinda like "u" for russians, and "z" instantly becomes "zh" in some twisted logic. My nickname sucks balls.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 15 July 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

This is Hendricks.

Posted Image

When I was nine, my favorite number was 6. 266 is an abbreviation of "2 x 66".

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostWieder, on 06 March 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

My current one is a mystery never to be solved or revealed.

Stems from a certain affinity towards a particular brand of exercise equipment.

Mystery solved.

@Eddy, nah it's not stupid :whistling:

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 07 February 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

Balls of Steel is a really good pinball game.
Like the best virtual pinball game....
That's why my name is Balls Of Steel Forever.

It also represents how I act,
always being myself.
No matter how dumb I may be.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 07 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options