Duke4.net Forums: Your Favorite Duke 3D Monsters - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Favorite Duke 3D Monsters  "A thread about Duke 3D monsters."

Favorite: probably the Pig Cops. Not too annoying, they drop a shotgun or armor, and they've been in every friggin' game since Duke 3D.

LEAST favorite: Protozoid Slimers. I can't stand those freaks.

User is offline   juvenite 

View PostMajor Tom, on 26 February 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

Favorite: probably the Pig Cops. Not too annoying, they drop a shotgun or armor, and they've been in every friggin' game since Duke 3D.

It seems Pigcop is the most liked enemy so far, for being the most balanced or median of DN3D monsters (I guess). Interesting...

View PostMajor Tom, on 26 February 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

LEAST favorite: Protozoid Slimers. I can't stand those freaks.

I actually like them, they can eat another monsters (and even things if you mod CON files) and I find this funny :dukeaffirmative:
They kinda remind me of Facehuggers, the difference being they devour your face instead of raping your throat.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 27 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 26 February 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

I wish I had the Octabrain one, it's amazing.

There's one on Amazon for 49.99 plus 5 shipping. Not bad considering how expensive i've seen them get.

I broke down and ordered a pig and a brain. I've got Duke and NightStrike. So now all i'll need is a battlelord and a SWAT Duke to have the whole set. Not opening them either. Just for staring.

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 26 February 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

I actually like them, they can eat another monsters (and even things if you mod CON files) and I find this funny :whistling:
They kinda remind me of Facehuggers, the difference being they devour your face instead of raping your throat.

All the questions as to how they related to the babes were unfortunately retconned and answered in DNF to uncomfortable results. I rather missed their presence in DNF. It's such a creepy design.The pregnators were uh... Way too freakin' obvious by comparison.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 February 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

There's one on Amazon for 49.99 plus 5 shipping. Not bad considering how expensive i've seen them get.

I broke down and ordered a pig and a brain. I've got Duke and NightStrike. So now all i'll need is a battlelord and a SWAT Duke to have the whole set. Not opening them either. Just for staring.

Seems a good price, hopefully I'll get one.
A bit hard for me, being that I live in another country.

I will open it, but just for decoration.
The octabrain has a different style from the original game sprites and I quite like it. Maybe I order a Duke too but not so soon.

All the questions as to how they related to the babes were unfortunately retconned and answered in DNF to uncomfortable results. I rather missed their presence in DNF. It's such a creepy design.The pregnators were uh... Way too freakin' obvious by comparison.

Yeah, Slimers were kinda mysterious, interesting, creepy. Now, in DNF, it feels like all game developers didn't give a single fuck. I honestly can't take this game too seriously. Not even DNF can't take itself seriously, the game was trying so hard to be funny that it gets annoying.
It's quite insulting.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 28 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

Personally, my favorite and the most iconic enemy are the Pig Cops. They are just too iconic. Second I would have to place the Overlord(s). That still cracks me up every time in the scene where Duke uses the Overlord as a toilet. Also I find it interesting is that Duke 64 actually has two Overlord encounters in the Overlord and Freeway levels.

View PostPRINGocalypz, on 29 February 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Personally, my favorite and the most iconic enemy are the Pig Cops. They are just too iconic. Second I would have to place the Overlord(s). That still cracks me up every time in the scene where Duke uses the Overlord as a toilet. Also I find it interesting is that Duke 64 actually has two Overlord encounters in the Overlord and Freeway levels.

In Freeway?
Hm, I don't think Overlord fits very well. They were made with Lunar Apocalypse in mind and Freeway is an urban level. This is just my opinion anyway...
Oh, for me, Troopers are the most iconic =)

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 29 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 29 February 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

In Freeway?
Hm, I don't think Overlord fits very well. They were made with Lunar Apocalypse in mind and Freeway is an urban level. This is just my opinion anyways...
Oh, for me, Troopers are the most iconic =)

I'm pretty sure he actually appears three times, in Overlord, Hotel Hell and Freeway but only in the Duke64 port.

View PostLunick, on 29 February 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure he actually appears three times, in Overlord, Hotel Hell and Freeway but only in the Duke64 port.

Why did they do that? I mean, that was not necessary. Was it?

• Judge Mental

It added some variety, instead of just mini-battlelords.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 February 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

It added some variety, instead of just mini-battlelords.

I see, but I think new enemies would be better.

• Judge Mental

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 29 February 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

I see, but I think new enemies would be better.

They didn't have the budget or the time to do something like that.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 February 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

They didn't have the budget or the time to do something like that.

Originally in Duke 3D, Overlord has some code lines that are identical to the Battlelord's code, meaning that Overlord has a mini version too (but quite buggy).
They modified this code to make this "Mini Overlord" work. So instead of doing that to Overlord, they could have done that to, for example, Cycloid Emperor, which also has these identical codes and would fit more in the map.

• Judge Mental

I guess, except that the Cycloid is the final boss, and thus having it show up in maps prior to the finale would be not so good.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 March 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

I guess, except that the Cycloid is the final boss, and thus having it show up in maps prior to the finale would be not so good.

Maybe doing this to another monster, like Trooper, Pigcop or Octabrain?

Do the entangled babes count as enemies too? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Otherwise my favorite would be the Sentry Drone, if only for the shriek it makes.

I like Octabrains too, especially the cooler-looking lameduke version. imo the DNF Octabrains look better than the DN3D ones.

Liztroops are pretty annoying because one must waste explosive ammo on them if they do the choking animation. It gets tiring after a while.

And of course, Protozoid Slimer for worst. Just knowing they're in the map makes me very sick, hearing their noises gets cold sweat out of me, and when they ultimately fall on my face, I get a panic attack (and a special fuck you to the slimers in Going Postal). A lot of people say monsters in games like Dark Souls are scary and Eldritch and all that shit, but none of them can compare to this little slime.

Also I don't see how they are related to the abducted babes other than creating the alien biomass, since, you know, it's just a slime with a huge gaping mouth. The only other enemy in video games that can compare to the slimer for sheer terror factor imo is the Bone Leech from Blood 2. At least the Slimers die easily, whereas this one takes a few shots to die and more than a few seconds to shake it off your face, in which it drains your HP like a baby on a nipple and just jump back up again because how of how fucking terrible the game is, all the while making those nightmare-inducing sounds.

Posted Image

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 March 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Do the entangled babes count as enemies too? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Otherwise my favorite would be the Sentry Drone, if only for the shriek it makes.

The game doesn't count their death, so I think they don't.

I like Octabrains too, especially the cooler-looking lameduke version. imo the DNF Octabrains look better than the DN3D ones.

I agree, they look more threatening in DNF.

Liztroops are pretty annoying because one must waste explosive ammo on them if they do the choking animation. It gets tiring after a while.

Most times I kill them before they fake their death, but sometimes they don't die for some reason. I'm sure I killed them when they were choking.

And of course, Protozoid Slimer for worst. Just knowing they're in the map makes me very sick, hearing their noises gets cold sweat out of me, and when they ultimately fall on my face, I get a panic attack (and a special fuck you to the slimers in Going Postal). A lot of people say monsters in games like Dark Souls are scary and Eldritch and all that shit, but none of them can compare to this little slime.

The only monsters that look threatening for me are Octabrains and Newbeasts. It's not cool to Octabrain eat you alive or Newbeast come out of nowhere, shrinking and smashing you.

Also I don't see how they are related to the abducted babes other than creating the alien biomass, since, you know, it's just a slime with a huge gaping mouth. The only other enemy in video games that can compare to the slimer for sheer terror factor imo is the Bone Leech from Blood 2. At least the Slimers die easily, whereas this one takes a few shots to die and more than a few seconds to shake it off your face, in which it drains your HP like a baby on a nipple and just jump back up again because how of how fucking terrible the game is, all the while making those nightmare-inducing sounds.

Aren't they also born from the captured babes?

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 01 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Do they? Captured babes only spawn Octabrains most of the time, and I don't think a human's womb can contain eggs of that size.

Also, I hear somewhere that Liztroops that were killed while choking will still rise up again, and the only way to be sure is to nuke 'em from orbit gib 'em.

One time me and my cousin were playing coop on Duke64 and watched a protozoid slimmer eat an Assault Trooper and turned into an Octabrain, no joke. I think it was some sort of glitch.

About the Assault Troopers/Captains, when they get gut shot and drop to the ground, they can come back to life. In that instance killing them without another gut shot with do them in as well as kicking their dead bodies in Duke64 or simply blowing them up will do.

This post has been edited by PRINGocalypz: 01 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 March 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Do they? Captured babes only spawn Octabrains most of the time, and I don't think a human's womb can contain eggs of that size.

Yeah, but they could develop just to a certain point inside the babe, then the babe give birth to it and it continues to develop itself outside.

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 March 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Also, I hear somewhere that Liztroops that were killed while choking will still rise up again, and the only way to be sure is to nuke 'em from orbit gib 'em.

(This goes to both PikaCommando and PRINGocalypz)
It seems like they die randomly when shot while choking. Sometimes they die, sometimes not, and I don't think wasting explosive ammo is worthy.

View PostPRINGocalypz, on 01 March 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

One time me and my cousin were playing coop on Duke64 and watched a protozoid slimmer eat an Assault Trooper and turned into an Octabrain, no joke. I think it was some sort of glitch.

Amazing glitch, I would love to see that happening in DN3D =)

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 01 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

• Judge Mental

If the liztroops don't make a noise when choking, they're faking their death.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If and only if an Assault Trooper/Captain begs, they're faking their death. You can kill them for real by hitting them while begging. I usually run up and quick kick if I'm close, or whip out the pistol if not.

That's exactly the same reason I hate them. I actually freaking look away and jam the Quick Kick key if one of those stupid things falls on/climbs up Duke's face...I can't STAND the sight of those.

Of course, Facehuggers in the AvP TC were insta-kills, so that was....not really better, but at least all you had to do was reload or mash Space to start over.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the recon vehicle. Sure it's not the best enemy to fight, but it has the coolest death animation. I was so impressed the first time I saw it spiral down in a series if explosions.

View PostHendricks266, on 01 March 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

If and only if an Assault Trooper/Captain begs, they're faking their death. You can kill them for real by hitting them while begging. I usually run up and quick kick if I'm close, or whip out the pistol if not.

And even then, they're only faking it if they don't make a death noise when falling to the ground at the end of the begging phase.

Besides, they have like 1 health point when they come back so it's not a big deal.

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the recon vehicle. Sure it's not the best enemy to fight, but it has the coolest death animation. I was so impressed the first time I saw it spiral down in a series if explosions.

The recon vehicles are pretty cool. Granted, I've been seeing some in Attrition that fire friggin' rockets and Battlelord mortars at you, but the vanilla recon vehicle from the original game are an interesting foe. And yeah, the death spiral when you shoot one down is always fun to watch---all it's missing is the Pig Cop yelling "MAYDAY, MAYDAY, I'M HIT! DAMNIT BWAAAHHH!" or something like that.

User is offline   LkMax 

Have you blocked me or something? :whistling: It was one of the first mentioned.
Good to know it's more appreciated though.

View PostLkMax, on 14 February 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

The Recon Patrol Vehicle, without a doubt... and it's so little used in custom maps (another reason for me to start mapping).
I just love the way they rotate in little explosions when I shoot them down and then to finish off the pigcop that might survive the crash.

PS: http://dukenukem.wik..._Patrol_Vehicle

This post has been edited by LkMax: 01 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostMajor Tom, on 01 March 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

all it's missing is the Pig Cop yelling "MAYDAY, MAYDAY, I'M HIT! DAMNIT BWAAAHHH!" or something like that.

Something like this?

Attached Image: rpv.png

:whistling:

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

If the liztroops don't make a noise when choking, they're faking their death.

But, at least for me, they're always making sounds, faking their death or not. Or I'm stupid and never really paid attention to that.

View PostHendricks266, on 01 March 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

And even then, they're only faking it if they don't make a death noise when falling to the ground at the end of the begging phase.
Besides, they have like 1 health point when they come back so it's not a big deal.

Just to be sure, this beg phase would be the noiseless choking animation, right?

I'm surprised how Pigcops can survive to that :whistling:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 01 March 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Just to be sure, this beg phase would be the noiseless choking animation, right?

They make a noise during the choking, but at the end they do some kind of growl when they actually die, otherwise they just fall silently.

View PostLkMax, on 01 March 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Have you blocked me or something? :whistling: It was one of the first mentioned.

Did someone say something? Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

They make a noise during the choking, but at the end they do some kind of growl when they actually die, otherwise they just fall silently.

So I think I never paid attention to that. Oh well.

Oh, just in case you didn't see it:
Attached Image: Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 1.00.42 AM.png

Hm, now I'm curious. What are the another reasons you have to start mapping LkMax?

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 01 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 01 March 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Hm, now I'm curious. What are the another reasons you have to start mapping LkMax?

Uh... nothing different, just bringing my ideas to life like every other mapper.
If one day I bring myself to finish a Doom map I have archived since 2012, maybe I'll start contributing to Duke.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options