Duke4.net Forums: Your Favorite Duke 3D Monsters - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Favorite Duke 3D Monsters  "A thread about Duke 3D monsters."

User is offline   juvenite 

Hey guys
I didn't find any thread about it, so I'm creating one.
My favorite monsters are Octabrain and Lizman. I really like their designs, the sounds they make, attacks they have, and I find Octabrain an interesting monster to search about.
Octabrain is that kind of monster who stays on its corner, hiding in the shadows and I really like it.
It reminds me of myself.
And Lizman, well, he has a "minigun hand", that's really cool I think :dukeaffirmative:
So, what are your favorite monsters?

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 14 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

The Pigcop. Easy enough to take down with a shotgun or pistol. But worth splattering them with an RPG round.

Yeah, and it drops armor too... But it's used though... Well, better than nothing!

User is offline   CruX 

My favorite is the Enforcer. Pretty bad ass looking enemy, isn't terribly difficult to put down but can do a lot of damage if you let it, and it jumps around and spits shit at you so engaging it isn't always straight-forward and it drops like, fifty chaingun rounds. They're the guys I'm most fond of from both a gaming and mapping perspective.

Least favorite is the drone. Anything that's gonna go all Allah Akbar on your ass if it gets too close AND dodges rockets shouldn't also take an average of three shotgun blasts to destroy. I dunno why, but for some reason people always put these things in packs too, as if one on its own wouldn't be enough of a pain in the ass. Generally when I encounter them (and I always know it because of the annoying as fuck sounds they make), I just let them hit me and take the damage because it's almost never worth the ammo I'd have to use to kill even one, let alone three or four. Just don't feel like an enemy should operate that way.

This post has been edited by CruX: 14 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

Lizman rocks, seriously! I'm thinking about making a mod where you can play as him.
And drones are really annoying and I try to avoid them at all costs. For me every HP matters. =P

I'll go with the teleporting Trooper aka the Assault Captain, always fun to have around. In general the Troopers are best standard goon in FPS history.

My favorite look is the Overlord, unique looking boss, very fun design.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 14 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 14 February 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'll go with the teleporting Trooper aka the Assault Captain, always fun to have around. In general the Troopers are best standard goon in FPS history.

My favorite look is the Overlord, unique looking boss, very fun design.

I like Troopers, some of their sprites are funny-looking for me.
Somehow, Troopers look like dogs for me, I think that's because of my childhood. (First played around 4-6 years old.)

I like Overlord's design too, kinda reminds me of Troopers. Probably, the main reason is its green armor.

User is offline   Jolteon 

My favorite Duke 3D monster is the octabrain. I always thought the octabrains looked cool, especially when I played the game when I was still a kid. Flying around the place, as well as living underwater as well. They have two attacks. firstly those mindblast attacks, despite cool looking, can do serious damage to you. They can also bite you up close, which doesn't do as much damage as the mindblast. They are also pretty strong as well, taking three shotgun shots (sometimes two) to kill. (Although they can easily be killed with one rpg shot as well as one devastator shot for some reason.) Octabrains are awesome and therefor they are my favorite monster in Duke 3D. :dukeaffirmative:

As I said before, I really like it. I feared it so much when I was a kid though lol.
The mindblast is dangerous but I find it slow though.
But still an awesome tough monster.

User is offline   LkMax 

The Recon Patrol Vehicle, without a doubt... and it's so little used in custom maps (another reason for me to start mapping).
I just love the way they rotate in little explosions when I shoot them down and then to finish off the pigcop that might survive the crash.

PS: http://dukenukem.wik..._Patrol_Vehicle

This post has been edited by LkMax: 14 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Yup, it seems people don't give too much attention to RPVs. Not as much as I think they deserve.
I think of them like a "cooler version of Drones."
I ask myself, how can Pigcops survive when you destroy their vehicles. Visually speaking, Pigcops are still inside their vehicle. Multiple explosions occurr and they are still alive, being that one RPG rocket is enough to kill them.
Oh, and when I had Duke Plus installed, RPVs were really overpowered. I died so many times because of those "laser miniguns". They really became "Miniguns", the fire rate was insane!

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 14 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Well, RPVs have very good survival mechanisms, future police forces definitely invested in personel security. =P

User is offline   Lunick 

I would like to see the Enforcer version used in some maps :dukeaffirmative:

View PostLkMax, on 14 February 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

Well, RPVs have very good survival mechanisms, future police forces definitely invested in personel security. =P

Sounds reasonable =P

View PostLunick, on 14 February 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

You mean, RPVs with "Laser Miniguns"?

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 14 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

If only the artwork for that was released.

My favorite enemy is the Pig Cop, because I loved how their eyes would glow in the dark and just that they were pretty bad ass.

View Postgerolf, on 14 February 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

My favorite enemy is the Pig Cop, because I loved how their eyes would glow in the dark and just that they were pretty bad ass.

Shiny eyes are great to make a spooky atmosphere. ><
As far as I remember, Lizman (just one yellow pixel) and Newbeast can do that too, it's pretty cool.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 14 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Jolteon 

I would like to see the Enforcer version used in some maps :)

I'd love to see that in action too. :dukeaffirmative:

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 14 February 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

You mean, RPVs with "Laser Miniguns"?

Actually I think he meant enforcers riding the RPV like how it was seen in some of the beta screenshots. (kinda going off topic though :teehee: )

View PostJolteon, on 14 February 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

Actually I think he meant enforcers riding the RPV like how it was seen in some of the beta screenshots. (kinda going off topic though :dukeaffirmative: )

Oh, I see. I didn't know about this Prototype RPV since now =P
I'm curious now why they didn't finish it and how this RPV would work.

(Lol, yeah it is.)

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 14 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Octabrain. When I first heard the sound, I was thinking "Seriously, WTF is that?" then I saw it and was "Woah, WTF is that?!" It's creepy and floats about and has pincers and tentacles. Game, Set and Match.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostTea Monster, on 15 February 2016 - 02:05 AM, said:

Octabrain. When I first heard the sound, I was thinking "Seriously, WTF is that?"

A constipated elephant.

View PostTea Monster, on 15 February 2016 - 02:05 AM, said:

Octabrain. When I first heard the sound, I was thinking "Seriously, WTF is that?" then I saw it and was "Woah, WTF is that?!" It's creepy and floats about and has pincers and tentacles. Game, Set and Match.

It gave me nightmares, I couldn't sleep the first time I saw it. I was a fearful kid.

User is offline   Gargoyle 

Sentry guns!

These crunchy little boxes are fun to kill with pistol, explosives and freezer.

Usually, when I receive damage without initially knowing the reason, the Sentry Guns are the reason. For me, it's easy to disguise them messing with their palettes. The downside is that they are easily killed, being static (cannot avoid shots) and having a not so large amount of health.
But I like them too, they give a "military" touch to the game. Lack of better word...

User is offline   Revanchist 

The Pig Cop is iconic and fun and a good enemy... but I have a weird fascination with Octabrain's design. It's very nineties. In a good way.

View PostRevanchist, on 25 February 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

The Pig Cop is iconic and fun and a good enemy...

Yeah, along with Troopers!

View PostRevanchist, on 25 February 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

But I have a weird fascination with Octabrain's design. It's very nineties. In a good way.

Nostalgic and creepy, it's perfect!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

My favorites are the lizard trooper and the enforcer. If I had to pick one I would go with lizard trooper. Not only do they look badass, but they have (for the era) a large range of animations and behaviors. This is much appreciated when coding mods, too.

Typical enemies from the 2.5 D era will have a walking cycle, a shooting frame, and a death animation, and that's it. For the lizard trooper, we also have ducking, flying, choking, pressing a button on his chest, and sitting. The enforcer has jumping (very rare for sprites), and spitting. If you have ever tried to enhance the AI of an enemy who has only the most basic animation, you will understand how important it is to have those additions.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Pigs, Brains, and Lords. They all got action figures for a reason.

Speaking of which, I wish I could get my hands on some of them for cheap.

I like the pig cops in dresses from the ps1 version that was funny

User is offline   Lunick 

Their squeal is terrifying actually.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 February 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

My favorites are the lizard trooper and the enforcer. If I had to pick one I would go with lizard trooper. Not only do they look badass, but they have (for the era) a large range of animations and behaviors. This is much appreciated when coding mods, too.

Typical enemies from the 2.5 D era will have a walking cycle, a shooting frame, and a death animation, and that's it. For the lizard trooper, we also have ducking, flying, choking, pressing a button on his chest, and sitting. The enforcer has jumping (very rare for sprites), and spitting. If you have ever tried to enhance the AI of an enemy who has only the most basic animation, you will understand how important it is to have those additions.

I never tried that, but I think I can at least make a guess.
Is it because you have more codes to your disposal, so you have more resources to use as a base to make or improve behaviors or am I just talking nonsense, or there's more than that?

Commando Nukem said:

Pigs, Brains, and Lords. They all got action figures for a reason.

Speaking of which, I wish I could get my hands on some of them for cheap.

I wish I had the Octabrain one, it's amazing.

Demon Duke said:

I like the pig cops in dresses from the ps1 version that was funny

I never played Duke for ps1, but I searched it and yes, it looks pretty funny :dukeaffirmative:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options