Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 isn't running - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 isn't running  "It starts for a second then quits"

Hi all! :dukeaffirmative:

I never played EDuke32 before, but still didn't because of a problem I have with it. Probably due to a Intel card (I don't know, just maybe), when it runs it shortly after stops and exits to windows! It doesn't even runs when in fullscreen mode. Why?!? I am tired of using DosBOX and end up oveerheating my dirty PC. I don't have a fixed date of when to fix my PC, but I want to play DN3D as soon as possible (preferably with Direct3D9; UT99 doesn't overheat when using D3D for some reason, unlike OpenGL... :) ) Please help!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It helps if you give us some details about your computer. Also, there should be a "eduke32.log" file that you can upload here to tell us what's going wrong. Don't paste the contents of it in your post unless it's really short.

Eduke doesn't use D3D, only openGL for the newer renderers. You can run the classic renderer just like the original dos game though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

It helps if you give us some details about your computer. Also, there should be a "eduke32.log" file that you can upload here to tell us what's going wrong. Don't paste the contents of it in your post unless it's really short.

Eduke doesn't use D3D, only openGL for the newer renderers. You can run the classic renderer just like the original dos game though.

I am wondering what you consider "really short", but I think this is short enough:
EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5498 (32-bit) C++ build
Compiled Dec 27 2015 18:18:10
Using C:/Users/gusta_000.ACER/Desktop/DesktopProgramFiles/EDuke32/ for game data
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (build 5.1.2600)
Initializing SDL system interface (compiled against SDL version 2.0.3, found version 2.0.3)
Using "windows" video driver
Searching for game data...
Using C:/Users/gusta_000.ACER/Desktop/DesktopProgramFiles/EDuke32/samples/ for game data
Using "DUKE3D.GRP" as main game data file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16189*4 bytes
Script compiled in 455ms, 16181*4b, language version 1.4+
2036/11264 labels, 330/2048 variables, 2/512 arrays
125 quotes, 207 actors
Initialized 24.0M cache
Using RTS file "DUKE.RTS".
Initializing OSD...
Switching keyboard layout from 00010416 to 00000409
0 joystick(s) found
Loading clip map: _clipshape0.map
Loaded clip map.
Setting video mode 1024x600 (32-bpp windowed)
OpenGL information
 Microsoft Corporation GDI Generic 1.1.0
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support detail mapping. Disabling...
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support glow mapping. Disabling...
Your OpenGL implementation doesn't support Vertex Buffer Objects. Disabling...
Opened "samples/textures" as cache file
Warning: the GL driver lacks necessary functions to use caching
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
Executing "settings.cfg"
g_errorLineNum: 0, g_tw: 0

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 00010416

Wow it tried to change my keyboard layout! And I guess the problem is in the Settings.cfg file.

If I am right, this is the latest stable. I just pushed that big Windows button in the EDuke32 website...

I will check that INI.

Oh wait it can't use OpenGL. In UT99 it does two function calls to software renderer since they don't work in OpenGL using Intel drivers. THAT might be the cause! It don't have a "software renderer"... :/

Also what PC information do you want?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Iit looks as if the /samples folder is selected for extra game data. You can disable that in the startup box then retry the game, not that it should cause the problems but it is one thing that shouldn't be there in your log.

Added to post:

I've read about others with winXP issues, this older build of EDuke32 seems to work well for them. I'd try it.
rev. 1853 March 19 2011 http://dukeworld.duk.../20110319-1853/

This post has been edited by Drek: 30 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Try running using the software renderer (select an 8bpp resolution). It looks like your shitty intel graphics don't support OpenGL properly.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You should update your graphics drivers. (and install XP SP3!)

What means "8bpp resolution"?

Also by no way I will install XP! Also I can't update drivers because Intel hasn't yet provided Win10 drivers...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGustavo Ramos Rehermann, on 30 January 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

Posted Image

No offense, but how are you even starting the game if you don't see this drop down menu?

User is offline   Jmoc 

Also by no way I will install XP! Also I can't update drivers because Intel hasn't yet provided Win10 drivers...

This was also my problem. Fact is, you have a 2nd generation or less Intel GPU, in combination with Windows 10 the OpenGL capability of the card gets scrapped and you end up with the software renderer.
You have 3 solutions:
1) Put the renderer in classic mode (8bpp). This way OpenGL is not required and you're safe to go
2) Get r4887. It's the last version that "sees" the old card, and happens to run fine
3) Download the latest source code and remove Windows 10 from the manifest file. I think the SDL library have something wrong against unsupported Win10 devices.

link to this problem

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostGustavo Ramos Rehermann, on 30 January 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (build 5.1.2600)

View PostHendricks266, on 30 January 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

You should update your graphics drivers. (and install XP SP3!)

Wait a second!

If I am using Windows 10 but EDuke32 recognized XP... I am in a serious @#$#!!ing trouble!

Also, yes, I saw that dropdown menu. I was too blind to see "8bpp' :) It happens to be the colors avaiable to pixels, so I don't know what it has with resolution... or maybe it is part of a bigger resolution class, that have the screen size, Polymer toggle and bits-per-pixel color info... :dukeaffirmative:

EDIT: Oh wow 8bpp worked! Thanks a LOT!!! :DDDD

This post has been edited by Gustavo Ramos Rehermann: 31 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It recognizes XP because you have eduke32.exe set to run in XP compatibility mode.

As for your actual issue, I forgot about this particular problem (mentioned in that other thread) with the Intel driver on Windows 10. The driver will error out and fall back to the generic Microsoft GL driver, which has never worked for anything useful in my experience, with any application updated to recognize Windows 10. It looks like we might need to hack the old GL driver blacklist we used to have into our SDL implementation just to stop the crashing for you guys with affected GPUs.

Just to recap: this isn't a problem with EDuke32 or SDL, it's a problem with your video driver refusing to load when a program that tries to load it lets it see what the Windows version number actually is.

Yup it's in XP compat mode.

Also GZDoom seems to work for some reason I never understanded... :/

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostGustavo Ramos Rehermann, on 31 January 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Also GZDoom seems to work for some reason I never understanded... :/

Should be understood. :dukeaffirmative:

It depends about what GZDooM version(1.8.x or older, 2.0.05 or pre-2.1/1.8.10 series of latest dev. builds) you running, and you can't just compare two totally different ports like that...since they may use different methods to do things.

For some reasons, that sounds similar problem like this GZDooM bug report...
http://forum.drdteam...php?f=24&t=6696

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yep, that's the exact same issue. Since Intel isn't producing actual Windows 10 drivers for these GPUs, someone will eventually disassemble and hex edit it to patch out the check...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options