Duke4.net Forums: (Windows) Borderless Fullscreen Should be Selectable from Menu - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Windows) Borderless Fullscreen Should be Selectable from Menu

User is offline   Awakened 

Borderless fullscreen windowed mode can be used by setting ScreenMode = 2 in eduke32.cfg. I think it should be selectable as a third mode with the Fullscreen menu option. "No", "Yes" and "Borderless". A lot of recent PC games have that option in their menus. It's nice for quick alt tabbing and you get Window's triple buffered Vsync which can offer less display lag.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Awakened, on 29 January 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

Borderless fullscreen windowed mode can be used by setting ScreenMode = 2

No, it can't. If you set it to 2, the startup window code will coerce the value to 1. Internally, if ScreenMode were 2, it would be treated the same as 0.

If you use the vidmode console command to set the game's resolution to the same as your desktop resolution, but using a window (fourth parameter = 0), it will do what you want. Unfortunately you can't select this from in-game or from the startup window, and it won't remember your setting, but you can add a file called autoexec.cfg containing the vidmode command and it will size the window as you like when you run EDuke32.

User is offline   Awakened 

It definitely seems to be launching differently for me when set to 2. It looks like a window is maximizing to fullscreen when set to 2 and there's no screen tearing even though I have Vsync set to off in the menu. When I set ScreenMode to 1 there's no maximize effect and I can see tearing. Also, when set to 2 it doesn't change the value of ScreenMode back to 1 in eduke32.cfg after exiting, but maybe that's because I have the startup window off.

My log says "Setting video mode 1920x1080 (32-bpp windowed)" when set to 2 and "Setting video mode 1920x1080 (32-bpp fullscreen)" when set to 1. There's even a blank spot next to Fullscreen when set to 2, suggesting it's a different mode than "On" or "Off":

Posted Image
I'm using a build from the main site I downloaded a few hours ago.

Edit: My bad, I forgot to test ScreenMode = 0, which works the same as setting it to 2. Still, it seems to work like a fullscreen borderless window without the need for an autoexec.bat. As long as ScreenWidth and Height are set to my full resolution. Maybe allowing the user to select the full resolution of their display as well as turning off fullscreen would be OK? The GUI locks me out of 1080p and a few other res options if I turn fullscreen off.

This post has been edited by Awakened: 29 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options