Duke4.net Forums: actor gets stuck on curbs - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

actor gets stuck on curbs

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have an enemy actor that is unable to walk over very short curbs. I'm talking about entering sectors that are the equivalent of 6 inches higher than the actor's current sector.

It uses x/y repeat of 64 by 64. When I give it a size of 40 40, then it works fine. But I want it to be bigger. This is the exact opposite of the way it should work (and the way I remember it working). Bigger actors should have a greater ability to walk upstairs and stuff, not less.

EDIT: The actor tile has dimensions 79 x 56.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 29 January 2016 - 02:59 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

So...I'm not necessarily expecting this to be fixed, but if anyone has insight into why an actor would be unable to mount a short curb I would appreciate it. I expect this behavior when moving a sprite that is defined on a small tile, or when it has small yrepeat, but in this case it is a normal sized actor on a normal sized tile, using a normal move command etc. and I'm baffled as to why it behaves differently from my other enemies.

Making a workaround is not trivial because I do not want the actor to jump, nor do I want to change its hitbox.

EDIT: Evidently, the height of the sprite is not the issue. It's the WIDTH. After changing its sizeat from 64 64 to 56 64, it is now able to go up curbs. I want to emphasize that it was at no point anywhere near being too fat to fit through the relevant gaps. It had plenty of clearance on both sides.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It's some hard-coded bullshit. I'm looking into adding something to work around it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

OK, it's fixed with a new sprite flag, SFLAG_REALCLIPDIST. Once you apply that, the sprite will use its actual .clipdist value instead of triggering the hard-coded stuff.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTerminX, on 01 February 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

OK, it's fixed with a new sprite flag, SFLAG_REALCLIPDIST. Once you apply that, the sprite will use its actual .clipdist value instead of triggering the hard-coded stuff.

I got it working. Thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options