Duke4.net Forums: 20th Anniversary of Duke Nukem 3D! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20th Anniversary of Duke Nukem 3D!  "Happy Birthday Duke!!!"

User is offline   xMobilemux 

20 years of kicking ass and chewing bubblegum in easily one of the greatest First Person Shooters to ever hit the gaming industry!!

Happy Birthday Duke!!! :dukeaffirmative:
Posted Image

I also took some snap shots of every physical copy of Duke3D that I owned along with the 2 statues in celebration!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OK Gearbox, your move.

User is offline   The Kins 

If only there were something that could be released to mark the occasion. Some sort of... I don't know... prototype, or fragment of the original development materials...

Of course, any chance of that stuff being released was lost forever in the Great Legal Chicken Failure Of 2015, and everyone involved is either too busy salvaging an isometric trainwreck or violently hating each other to ever co-operate enough to pull anything out of the fires. Cool! Great! Sick, even!

This post has been edited by The Kins: 29 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This coincides well with the release of the Duke is 20 CBP episode

is what I wish I could be saying.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 29 January 2016 - 12:32 AM, said:

This coincides well with the release of the Duke is 20 CBP episode

is what I wish I could be saying.

You have until next year rolls around to make it happen :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Unfortunately there's the prerequisite that the maps would have to be started, and that there are people signed up to work on the maps. Neither is the case and people are quite busy Posted Image

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Posted Image

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

... and I thought I overdid it by getting two copies :'(

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I remember my first time playing Duke 3d in the late 90s. I was very young but it is something I never forgot. I remember it all like it were yesterday and that is probably why I've never grown tired of Duke Nukem 3d.

A family friend came over with the Duke 3d disc, and also the DC add-on. It was the original 3 episode version. I never set it up myself, and when I wanted to play it, which was pretty much every single day, she would ask, "Do you want to play day time, night time, or space?" Day was DC, night was episode 1, and space was episode 2. Sometimes she'd put me in episode 3 when I asked for night. A scene I remember vividly was in the DC add-on, there's an office area that when you go inside, a bunch of Octobrains would spawn, and there were secret rooms behind a bunch of bookshelves. The Octobrains always creeped me out the most.

I used to think the Assault Troopers and Captains were Cat-like aliens because of their color and stripes, and this was before I knew how to edit the game, so I could only look at the enemies during gameplay, and I was trying hard to not die. I don't remember what I called them. I called the Slimers, Pod Aliens because of the movie Alien, and I called the Enforcers Moose Men, because they looked like they had moose heads. I called the Battle Lord the Battle Lord, because I owned the action figure of him and knew him by name. I can't remember what else I called everything.

Now, this story got tragic because after years of playing this game, in 1999 this computer crashed, and believe it or not it happened while playing DN3D DC. I was in a vent in a bathroom in the Smithsonian level, and all of a sudden the game crashed. I remember it showed the game screen in multiple windows (like a tile) and made a harsh buzzing sound and we could never get it to start afterwards and they took it to a shop and they couldn't do anything. I don't think the game caused the crash.

I then played Duke on N64 and PS1 for a few years before getting a computer of my own, and getting the PC version again, but Duke has been a major part of my life.

Watching IGSRJ's review of Duke Nukem 3D in celebration of Duke 3D's 20th Anniversary.

Oh IGSRJ! :dukeaffirmative::lol::)

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 29 January 2016 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

Lazy Game Review's video on the 20th anniversary:

This post has been edited by LkMax: 29 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   trustn0! 

Hail to the greatest FPS ever made.

Long live the King and long live Duke Nukem 3D.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 29 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

Duke Nukem 3D is easily my most favorite video game ever. I can't believe that it's been 20 years since that game came out (Time goes by fast). I still remember how I started playing Duke. Long story short, I saw my dad play Duke Nukem, and then one day he let me play it, and of course I'm still playing it today. Happy birthday Duke Nukem, keep on rockin, and still keep chewing that bubblegum :) (oh wait, you're still out of gum :dukeaffirmative: )

View PostThe Kins, on 29 January 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

If only there were something that could be released to mark the occasion. Some sort of... I don't know... prototype, or fragment of the original development materials...

Of course, any chance of that stuff being released was lost forever in the Great Legal Chicken Failure Of 2015, and everyone involved is either too busy salvaging an isometric trainwreck or violently hating each other to ever co-operate enough to pull anything out of the fires. Cool! Great! Sick, even!

Even before i joined here (When I was still a guest) I did heard about the alphas/betas, and I was looking forward to them such as seeing the actual snake head sprites. But when I heard that they're not gonna released, and heard that Gearbox now owns Duke, I was heartbroken. Not sure if those betas will see the light of day. :teehee: (I wonder if TerminX talked to Randy about the Betas)

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 29 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Happy birthday Duke 3D!

George B's tweeting up a storm.

We went to see Bobby Kotick & Activision for funding. They passed over 50k more in funding. Also said it needed better art. We didn’t need Activision or any publisher’s money to make the game. We were just looking for ppl that didn’t want to fuck us.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Seems like Randy's so called celebration was just a tweet.
https://twitter.com/...094455012909057

User is offline   Paul B 

Just wanted to add that Hardocp posted a tribute to Duke here : http://www.hardocp.c...kem_3d_turns_20

User is offline   ixfd64 

I'm having a hard time believing it's been that long since the game came out. Damn, time goes by fast.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Duke 3D notes for Allen Blum on Hollywood Holocaust. 9/18/95.

Posted Image

Duke 3D text notes from me to Todd Replogle. 12/11/95
Posted Image
Posted Image

Happy birthday to the king, baby! Still the best FPS of all time, and easily the most entertaining video game character ever.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This game has given me so many good moments - fun, amazement and triumph. It gave me my first real taste of deathmatch.

It got me started in modding and led me to my current job.

Many heart-felt thanks to all the original guys at 3D Realms for making such a kick-ass game.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Perhaps the best FPS game and one of the best games I ever played which aged very well too.

First time played on my PSone (I don't think they released PC version in Japan, plus didn't have good PC at that time) and finished it probably 5 times, but still wanted more. A shame there is no other game which is on the level of Duke aside maybe from Shadow Warrior.

User is offline   Malgon 

Don't know why I didn't say it already, but Happy Birthday Duke!

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostTea Monster, on 30 January 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

This game has given me so many good moments - fun, amazement and triumph. It gave me my first real taste of deathmatch.

It got me started in modding and led me to my current job.

Many heart-felt thanks to all the original guys at 3D Realms for making such a kick-ass game.

This stands for me too for the most.I dont have a gaming job, but i have a modding passion that had its seed in Duke3d and its Build.exe. It has also given me my 15 minutes of fame, I have never been as popular as I used to be thanks to my contributions to this game.

Wish somebody in this world had the balls to leak the 1998 build of DNF as celebration of this day.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Times goes so fast, it has been 20 years pasted now! :)

View PostTakehiko, on 30 January 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

First time played on my PSone (I don't think they released PC version in Japan, plus didn't have good PC at that time) and finished it probably 5 times, but still wanted more.

I guess they were, but of course not so popular, as most areas in Asia of that time. :dukeaffirmative:

From jp.wikipedia.org's Duke Nukem page, it said there was PC version of Duke Nukem 3D released on Japan(by a company named P&A but no other related information about that company), with Japanese translated manual, but the katakana name had minor difference(デューク ニュッケム) from the Japanese PSX version(デューク ニューケム). And that made Duke Nukem had two kana names in Japan(google those kana names can confirmed this).

Source, Japenese only.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostPlayer Lin, on 30 January 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

I guess they were, but of course not so popular, as most areas in Asia of that time. :dukeaffirmative:

From jp.wikipedia.org's Duke Nukem page, it said there was PC version of Duke Nukem 3D released on Japan(by a company named P&A but no other related information about that company), with Japanese translated manual, but the katakana name had minor difference(デューク ニュッケム) from the Japanese PSX version(デューク ニューケム). And that made Duke Nukem had two kana names in Japan(google those kana names can confirmed this).

Source, Japenese only.

Well, P&A published plenty of games include SiN and were supposed to publish Forever in Japan (Forever was supposed to be their most successful title). Anyway, it's strange that I didn't see PC version. Though I just remembered that I saw Guide Book once and it wasn't for Total Meltdown.

Anyway, you don't need Google to find out how P&A translated Duke's name. デュークニューケム is official name though.
Posted Image

User is online   X-Vector 

I bought the game some time toward the end of '96 and I'm still playing it regularly, so that should give an indication of what I think of Duke Nukem 3D.
With Polymer and MusicallyInspired's SC-55 music pack it now looks and sounds better than ever, which actually makes the experience feel novel in a way, even though the intensity of initial contact can unfortunately never be relived (which goes for pretty much everything of course).

So, hail Duke Nukem 3D!

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTakehiko, on 31 January 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

Anyway, you don't need Google to find out how P&A translated Duke's name. デュークニューケム is official name though.

Yeah, that already mentioned in the jp.wikipedia.org page, I just not read them carefully...as P&A only translated the PC version of Duke Nukem 3D's kana title wrongly, and everything else was released on Japan afterward just fine.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 January 2016 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Besli 

View PostTakehiko, on 31 January 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

Well, P&A published plenty of games include SiN and were supposed to publish Forever in Japan (Forever was supposed to be their most successful title). Anyway, it's strange that I didn't see PC version. Though I just remembered that I saw Guide Book once and it wasn't for Total Meltdown.

Nice, picture. I only remember the japanese version of Total Meltdown:
Posted Image
Duke Nukem - Total Meltdown (Japan)
Posted Image

More 20th Anniversary stuff:
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Besli: 31 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options