Duke4.net Forums: Editart/Art files question - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Editart/Art files question  "Editart "corruption" in high tile ranges?"

User is offline   necroslut 

When using Editart (I use the 2.2 ver.) and going into the high tile numbers (6000+), and then going back a bit, tiles end up looking garbled. Usually, quitting and restarting "solves" this, but I have had tiles corrupted.
At first I thought my art files were corrputed, so I created new ones, but the problem persisted. Then I thought it was because I had been running DOSBox in 16 meg memory mode and it was some sort of memory overflow problem, changing to 64 didn't solve anything either.

Is this something that will always happen with high tile numbers, or is there something that can be done about it? Or should I use some other tool when handling high-numbered art files?

Edit: I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum - sorry :thumbsup:

Edit: Using Redneck Rampage Rides Again's art files (going up to TILES35) and having them work fine, it seems there is indeed something wrong with my art files, even the newly created ones. Is there some simple way to check them for corruptions, finding the faulty one if there's one? It would also be nice to know how to avoid to mess them up like this again.

Edit 3: No, it just happened again. Nothing ended up corrupted, but the tiles showed up garbled when going back a couple of .art files worth of tiles. I really have no idea what I'm doing to cause this.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 16 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   CruX 

I've never had it happen while actually in editart, but I've noticed while using Dukeres that if I paste something over a tile that isn't blank, it'll garble all of the tiles for that particular art file, and it only seems to happen with art files 13 and up. It's never been a problem as long as I quit out of Dukeres on the spot without saving. I'd assumed all this time that it was just a glitch with Dukeres, but maybe not?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I use dukeres.
I only use editart to remove the "pink and replace by the invisible pink or last color"
Then screenshot the image to a pcx and upload to dukeres.
I'm at tileart063 and have no probs.

I get no corruption issues.

Forgot to say.
DosBox version I use is v0.74
never had probs with it.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 16 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostCruX, on 16 January 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

I've never had it happen while actually in editart, but I've noticed while using Dukeres that if I paste something over a tile that isn't blank, it'll garble all of the tiles for that particular art file, and it only seems to happen with art files 13 and up. It's never been a problem as long as I quit out of Dukeres on the spot without saving. I'd assumed all this time that it was just a glitch with Dukeres, but maybe not?

It sounds like the same issue. Likewise, if I exit and restart it doesn't seem to actually corrupt any tiles, but tiles have been corrupted before and I can just assume I missed it that one time. More worringly, yesterday Editart crashed a few times while replacing tiles. Maybe it's a good idea to wipe a tile before importing a new one?

I can't remember having this problem before, but then I haven't used Editart (or any art tools) on this scale for some years and probably never with this hile tile numbers.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 17 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Hank 

^ the original Duke 3D Edit Art has limits for .art files and the number of tiles
http://www.dukertcm....tart-guide2.htm

This all was improved with EDuke, but that's not the question.

This post has been edited by Hank: 17 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

http://wiki.eduke32....tilefromtexture

User is offline   CruX 

View Postnecroslut, on 17 January 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

It sounds like the same issue. Likewise, if I exit and restart it doesn't seem to actually corrupt any tiles, but tiles have been corrupted before and I can just assume I missed it that one time. More worringly, yesterday Editart crashed a few times while replacing tiles. Maybe it's a good idea to wipe a tile before importing a new one?

I do use editart quite a bit, but just for editing the art tiles (no pun intended). If I want to move them around, I use dukeres since the interface makes the job way quicker, but yeah, I never paste over a non-blank tile, and I guess in terms of editart, that'd mean never importing over a non-blank tile. I've actually never had any problem with editart at all, be it corrupting tiles or crashing, and now I'm thinking it might be because of the limited way I've been using it.

Also, what Mblackwell posted is just as viable if you're only using editart for importing and don't have an objection to using DEF language.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCruX, on 17 January 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Also, what Mblackwell posted is just as viable if you're only using editart for importing and don't have an objection to using DEF language.

What makes the tilefromtexture option superior is that you don't have to use that ancient piece of shit editart at all. Why would anyone in their right mind still use editart when you can use whatever image editing software you want, and then put the tiles into the game with a simple def command?

User is offline   Jblade 

I still use Dukeres and just copy and paste tiles from PSP, writing def files is something I fucking hated about working with polymost/polymer so I have no intention of recreating that experience in 8bit mode :thumbsup:

User is offline   CruX 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 January 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Why would anyone in their right mind still use editart when you can use whatever image editing software you want, and then put the tiles into the game with a simple def command?

Autists Creatures of habit, like myself. You're right, Editart isn't superior and I don't use it on the idea that it is. It is, however, the first art editing program I ever learned to use (obvious shit like paint excluded) and it's the only one related to DN3D, which is also the only game I'm interested in modifying.

You probably know what I'm getting at, and I'm not sure I could explain it anymore than that, but a few months back I hacked up this PDW looking thing here in editart

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sure, there were probably better and faster ways to do it, but it was nice being able to do the majority of the editing for that in one program and know that what I was seeing was exactly what'd be there in game.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCruX, on 17 January 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Sure, there were probably better and faster ways to do it, but it was nice being able to do the majority of the editing for that in one program and know that what I was seeing was exactly what'd be there in game.

Don't you mean two programs? I can't get editart to run at all without dosbox.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 January 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

What makes the tilefromtexture option superior is that you don't have to use that ancient piece of shit editart at all. Why would anyone in their right mind still use editart when you can use whatever image editing software you want, and then put the tiles into the game with a simple def command?

for one, you need to make your own duke palette. The pink at slot 245 and the pink for invisibility at slot 255 have the same rgb values. Unless you change the rgb of one of those, none of your tiles have invisibility, using only Photshop or Gimp or whatever.
for two, typing it is nice, but some prefer a visual feedback, me for example. Sure DukeRES is old, but it still works more coherent as a Windows File viewer or another thumbnail viewer.

Keep in mind we are talking doing a mod/TC for Mega Edition or the original Duke 3D. As old as Edit Art, DukeRES, BastART are, they are still useful to some. With EDuke32, sure, tilefromtexture wins. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 17 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHank, on 17 January 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

for one, you need to make your own duke palette. The pink at slot 245 and the pink for invisibility at slot 255 have the same rgb values. Unless you change the rgb of one of those, none of your tiles have invisibility, using only Photshop or Gimp or whatever.

What I do when I'm done editing is change them from Duke palette back to 32 bit and convert the pink to transparency. Even though they are technically 32-bit, tilefromtexture will work perfectly at that point with no artifacts. This only takes a moment, and the process can be batched if there are a large number of tiles. I do admit that when I added 500+ textures at once, I also used a program to help with the def lines so that I wouldn't have to type them all out. And yeah, def lines does add another step to the process. One nice thing about it, though, is it's easier to move tiles around.

I can understand why you would want your project to work with Megaton, since it will have wider distribution that way.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 January 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Don't you mean two programs? I can't get editart to run at all without dosbox.

What makes you think I'm not running windows 98?

...For real though, I need dosbox for a lot of things that I like. I use it so much, I've practically forgotten it's even it's own thing.

So lots of people recommending using def files. But is anyone familiar with this issue and knows what causes it? I'm not 100% sure that is what actually corrupted my tiles that time.

View PostHank, on 17 January 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

^ the original Duke 3D Edit Art has limits for .art files and the number of tiles
http://www.dukertcm....tart-guide2.htm

This all was improved with EDuke, but that's not the question.

I know that. I use the v2.2 Editart that came with DOS EDuke though, which is also supposed to have increased the tile limits.
The same thing happened with regular Editart though.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 19 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

May I recommend art2png and png2art command line tools are much cleaner and easier to use in my opinion.

you can download it from this page RTCM: http://www.dukertcm....-eduke32-tools/

User is offline   Hank 

View Postnecroslut, on 19 January 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

I know that. I use the v2.2 Editart that came with DOS EDuke though, which is also supposed to have increased the tile limits.
The same thing happened with regular Editart though.

I always respond to a direct quote:
I never used DOS EDuke, and looking back from memory, don't recall the tile limits an issue, let alone being addressed.
We used a pragmatic approach to the engine's limits and simply used up all the empty slots and overwrote tiles not applicable for a map or mod.

User is offline   m210® 

Did you try my Build ART File editor?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

How does my packaging of Editart 2.2 work for you?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is writing defs that big a deal? Excel has 100 tools to help with formatting and it can export straight to a txt file.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options