Duke4.net Forums: Duke in 2016? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke in 2016?  "It's his 25th Anniversary after all!!"

User is offline   Steve 64 

For real? did he say anything good like releasing the Ps1 classics or anew duke game?

User is offline   CultureShock 

• Banned

View Posthismasterplan, on 20 January 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I do and I'm also not driven by detail, or graphics, although they'll go a bombastic route because whoever develops Duke 5 is going to want to top every expectation. If I were a developer and heard you say simple and recognizable, I would think to the 'Self Destruct' buttons and that excitement we all first had when we would see it glowing at the end of a level. I'd bring meaning to that. While that's on my mind, my idea for the next Duke is a story that takes place in Miami at night - lots of neon lights and dirty streets. Those 'Self Destruct' buttons were designed after a bloody alien invasion and are to be used to open up weapon stashes for the military - but now they're Duke's. Once you hit it, it kills a few aliens in the vicinity and allows you to obtain weapons that you missed in previous levels, allowing you to backtrack if you want and save more ladies. The game would take place first in Miami neighborhoods all through the night. Then he'd trek through a swamp with mutant alligators before finally arriving at Cape Canaveral where Duke blasts himself to the alien 'homeworld' (get it?) to destroy them once and for all. I think Miami would be a good Duke vacation spot.

I like a lot of your ideas but will leave this and backtrack later...

What I meant was I find high detail maps very fuzzy and confusing because so much is on the screen it's hard work for the brain. More simplified maps like the cartoony look old school games had are less work and more visually distinctive. I know this wasn't researched very deeply a few years ago and I know the maths can be insane but imagine something like screen resolution divided average surface area of artefacts times the square root of whatever might provide a useful index number. Does anyone know if this research has since been done?

One game I liked is Rainbow 6: Las Vegas 2 if this is the game with the climbing outside the skyscraper hotel and fireworks in the sky.(I may be getting confused with another game but can't remember properly.) I guess, this is similar-ish to what you suggested? I liked the sense of environment and night ambiance. A proper map like Miami hopefully would be more exciting too!!!

I do like bold and colourful elements. Things like signs and more boring stuff like windows and street furniture. I hate getting lost so it's nice if everywhere doesn't look the same as everywhere else.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostTerminX, on 20 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Had lunch with Randy Pitchford the other day. Things are looking good for Duke in 2016. :thumbsup:

My family comes back from America with all kinds of swag including an Ash vs Evil Dead t shirt, Deadpool cap, Metal Gear and Firefly t shirts and now I get some news that things are looking good for Duke :)

Today is turning out to be a good day :(

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostTerminX, on 20 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Had lunch with Randy Pitchford the other day. Things are looking good for Duke in 2016. :thumbsup:

That's good to hear. :)

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 January 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

My family comes back from America with all kinds of swag including an Ash vs Evil Dead t shirt, Deadpool cap, Metal Gear and Firefly t shirts and now I get some news that things are looking good for Duke :thumbsup:

Today is turning out to be a good day :)

Can't wait for that dealpool movie

Quote: Right up MainStreet

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We didn't talk about that, and I couldn't really tell you what was said even if we had. All I can say is that I spent the day with Gearbox and they seemed like pretty cool guys to me. What I can say, however, is that they didn't just buy the rights to Duke to sit on them in perpetuality. :thumbsup:

View PostTerminX, on 20 January 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

We didn't talk about that, and I couldn't really tell you what was said even if we had. All I can say is that I spent the day with Gearbox and they seemed like pretty cool guys to me. What I can say, however, is that they didn't just buy the rights to Duke to sit on them in perpetuality. :)

You already said things are looking good for Duke in 2016. That's good enough. :thumbsup:

I highly doubt it'll be anything related to a brand new Duke game as they said they're only in the concept stages a few months back. It'll likely be something related to re-releases since they own the full Duke rights now.

I can only hope for PC ports of Time to Kill, Zero Hour and Land of the Babes.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 20 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostCultureShock, on 20 January 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

I like a lot of your ideas but will leave this and backtrack later...

What I meant was I find high detail maps very fuzzy and confusing because so much is on the screen it's hard work for the brain. More simplified maps like the cartoony look old school games had are less work and more visually distinctive. I know this wasn't researched very deeply a few years ago and I know the maths can be insane but imagine something like screen resolution divided average surface area of artefacts times the square root of whatever might provide a useful index number. Does anyone know if this research has since been done?

One game I liked is Rainbow 6: Las Vegas 2 if this is the game with the climbing outside the skyscraper hotel and fireworks in the sky.(I may be getting confused with another game but can't remember properly.) I guess, this is similar-ish to what you suggested? I liked the sense of environment and night ambiance. A proper map like Miami hopefully would be more exciting too!!!

I do like bold and colourful elements. Things like signs and more boring stuff like windows and street furniture. I hate getting lost so it's nice if everywhere doesn't look the same as everywhere else.

Ah I'm trying to understand and think of examples. The last game I remember feeling confuzzled by looking at it was GTA4. It was a very detailed world but didn't seem like the PS3 handled it well and things were kind of just mudded all together. If I don't understand, I'm sorry. But thanks for inspiring me to bring out a child-like Duke idea rant.

User is offline   LkMax 

We didn't talk about that, and I couldn't really tell you what was said even if we had. All I can say is that I spent the day with Gearbox and they seemed like pretty cool guys to me. What I can say, however, is that they didn't just buy the rights to Duke to sit on them in perpetuality. :thumbsup:

That's too vague and not new.
Wake me up when he actually does something with the IP besides removing Duke 3D from stores.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 20 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

View PostLkMax, on 20 January 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

That's too vague and not new.
Wake me up when he actually does something with the IP besides removing Duke 3D from stores.

Now wait Gearbox only has rights to DNF and the future right? I thought DN3D until Forever was still 3D Realms.

Short Story another lawsuit Gearbox won it and took over the rest of the ip Means all other Duke games Duke 1 Duke 2 Duke3D and so

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 20 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You missed the drama surrounding Interceptor's attempt to make a new Duke Nukem game. Gearbox took them to court and won. The result was the loss of everything Duke-related on 3DR's part.

User is offline   CultureShock 

• Banned

View Posthismasterplan, on 20 January 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Ah I'm trying to understand and think of examples. The last game I remember feeling confuzzled by looking at it was GTA4. It was a very detailed world but didn't seem like the PS3 handled it well and things were kind of just mudded all together. If I don't understand, I'm sorry. But thanks for inspiring me to bring out a child-like Duke idea rant.

Hah hah. It's all good. :thumbsup:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 January 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

You missed the drama surrounding Interceptor's attempt to make a new Duke Nukem game. Gearbox took them to court and won. The result was the loss of everything Duke-related on 3DR's part.

I did know about the new lawsuit but missed that detail they took over everything. Wow.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 January 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

Yeah I know just did a short version of it

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Sorry, was also answering hismasterplan not replying to you. Must remember to always quote...

it ok man

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 January 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

You already said things are looking good for Duke in 2016. That's good enough. :dukeaffirmative:

I highly doubt it'll be anything related to a brand new Duke game as they said they're only in the concept stages a few months back. It'll likely be something related to re-releases since they own the full Duke rights now.

I can only hope for PC ports of Time to Kill, Zero Hour and Land of the Babes.

One can hope for the DNF editor also :)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

We didn't talk about that, and I couldn't really tell you what was said even if we had. All I can say is that I spent the day with Gearbox and they seemed like pretty cool guys to me. What I can say, however, is that they didn't just buy the rights to Duke to sit on them in perpetuality. :dukeaffirmative:

You know, this is a lot more of an optimistic side of TerminX than I usually expect, especially since this is what we had four years ago:

Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

We didn't talk about that, and I couldn't really tell you what was said even if we had. All I can say is that I spent the day with Gearbox and they seemed like pretty cool guys to me. What I can say, however, is that they didn't just buy the rights to Duke to sit on them in perpetuality. :dukeaffirmative:

We've heard this a dozen times from a dozen different people over the last almost five years. To be so optimistic you must have been told something for it to actually have some merit behind it this time. Surely you can't talk about it if you were told anything due to NDAs, confidentiality, and so forth but this does instill at least a little hope unless they push the same shameful version of the character that was seen in Duke Nukem Forever and described by Randy Pitchford which a number of former developers, including George Broussard, and a majority the fans seem to disagree with if they're working on a new game.

For reference here is an example of Randy Pitchfords fantastic sense of humor leading up to the release of Duke Nukem Forever:

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

The only problem is, unless we actually see somethings from Gearbox, then I still cannot really believe them at all(even I said I'm hater of Gearbox Shovelware, but I didn't really hate anyone of them, just needed proofs to fix that!), since we don't see anything right now and shortly future......and the hopes already disappeared 2~3 years ago...

I know it may sounds like harsh, but they won and got whole Duke Nukem IP just proved nothing at all, since they already not announce anythings about Duke before Interceptor ruined and 3DR lost all remaining Duke Nukem IP to Gearbox...

Yeah, I still hope they'll actually make something good about Duke Nukem, but not before it happened...such messages like TX was said just not enough... :dukeaffirmative:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 22 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 22 January 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

and the hopes already disappeared 2~3 years ago...

I don't know about it being punctual, but there's never been doubt we'll see another Duke game. At least for me. It's only been four and a half years since DNF came out. Take a lot longer than that for me to lose hope in the Duke. :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 23 January 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

I don't know about it being punctual, but there's never been doubt we'll see another Duke game. At least for me. It's only been four and a half years since DNF came out. Take a lot longer than that for me to lose hope in the Duke. :dukeaffirmative:

Well...I think at least it's still not long enough like the ****ing Half-Life 2 EP3 / 3... :teehee:

(Please don't ruined this thread with HL hates. :P)

I don't know, or maybe it actually because I simply have 0 confidence on Gearbox Shovelware at all... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

There could be a Duke Nukem Game in dev right now since Lee Jackson says he working with gearbox on something, which to me and NukemDave think has to be a Duke Nukem Game because that a kind of thing Lee Jackon would work on.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

So, Lee Jackson is working with Gearbox? Realistically there's only one thing that could possibly be..please be good...

he said it in a video watch it here

listin at 22:22 and he say it

Damn Lee Jackson on the next Duke game?

It seems like Randy knows he has to prove that he really does love Duke. Well this'll be a good start.

Unless he's just doing something for Duke3Ds 20th Anniversary.

As NukemDave would say We Have To Wait and See.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

There's no doubt that Lee Jackson's involvement with Gearbox is most definitely Duke related, but it could be anything. I believe something will surface this year in some form. Even if it's just some sort of tribute for Duke's 25th anniversary.

Seriously why can't people get Duke's Anniversary dates right?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options