Duke4.net Forums: Duke in 2016? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke in 2016?  "It's his 25th Anniversary after all!!"

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

MS would never allow it. They have no common sense and especially would never work with Valve. Otherwise their Windows 10 and Windows Store exclusives wouldn't exist.

User is offline   Steve 64 

To me I think it is false it not coming to xbox one

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 28 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Xbone is simply dead and MS avoid good business decisions.

Sledgehammer, on 28 February 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Xbone is simply dead and MS avoid good business decisions.

Yup

Personally I can see Gearbox going two ways here, and in both of them we get a Duke game :whistling:

View 1: Gearbox continues the story were DNF left-off and restores what was left out of DNF with Duke Nukem Five.

View 2: Gearbox starts from the ground up with a reboot of Duke, where the character is refreshed but keeps the Duke persona, a new series is born. Lets call this game Duke Nukem Resurgence. The previous Duke games would be referred to as the 3D Realm Series and the new Gearbox Series would be either called the Gearbox Series or Resurgence Series.

Either way, it is still amazing the Duke Nukem franchise is still around as I thought Manhattan Project was really the last Duke game ever made. Honestly, I didn't know about DNF until a few months before it was released in 2011. Still it is exciting the franchise is going to be making a come back. Thank you Randy Pitchford and the guys at Gearbox.

This post has been edited by PRINGocalypz: 02 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It would be very wise for Gearbox to reboot the franchise. Randy made a big deal of how this was "3D Realm's game" before release in various interviews. Now Gearbox can advertise the new one as "the first proper Gearbox Duke game".

Whether the game will be any good however is a different story. Depending on how old school Doom ends up being and whether Gearbox will try to follow that to some extent will be an important factor. I doubt it could really be any worse than DNF.

User is offline   LkMax 

Micky C, on 02 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

I doubt it could really be any worse than DNF.

Coming soon, Duke Nukem Babelands™: 1000 skin colors of about 5 different weapon models and random different numeric status that doesn't subistitute actual weapon design and balance, ridiculously bullet-spongey aliens and shitty cartoon graphics.
The game you didn't knew you needed, only Gearbox Shovelware® can give to you!

This post has been edited by LkMax: 02 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

PRINGocalypz, on 02 March 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Honestly, I didn't know about DNF until a few months before it was released in 2011.

Same here, more or less. I didn't know it was coming out but I remember hearing about it when I was a teenager but not giving it a second thought. I was disappointed despite not waiting like everyone else so the whole "hype killed the game" excuse some reviews used was false for me.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Everytime I read that I wanted to punch someone.

I knew something was wrong when Randy started using that defense. "Nothing can live up to twelve/thirteen/fifteen years of development." Uh huh.

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 March 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

I knew something was wrong when Randy started using that defense. "Nothing can live up to twelve/thirteen/fifteen years of development." Uh huh.

Well, he's absolutely right.

Also, the game was crap.

Plus the build we actually got to play was only a few years old, right?

I thought that other one was worse Duke Nukem Mass For DS, Duke Nukem Forever was decent not better then duke but decent game.

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 02 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I really need to attempt to play Critical Mass again, it will just need to take a lot of convincing to do.

I would really like a new Duke Nukem platformer that is decent

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 02 March 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

I really need to attempt to play Critical Mass again, it will just need to take a lot of convincing to do.

Posted Image

• Judge Mental

For those who don't want to torture themselves, you can see a playthrough here:

I tried to play through it a couple times, I encountered crashes, and game breaking glitches. It's clearly an unfinished product.

I think I pass and work on my Duke Legacy Channel videos

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 March 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

"Ahhhhh, much better"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Mother of God, it's awful!

View PostMicky C, on 02 March 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Also, the game was crap.

Not everyone agrees, and it's just personal taste rather than a matter of fact kind of thing.

(I don't want to keep arguing about this constantly 5 years later. But I'd like the record to show I always bet on Duke)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 03 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

I personally thought Duke Nukem Forever was decent. Not perfect, but enjoyable for someone who's followed the series (and chooses to ignore the sordid development history). 7/10, tops.....

....which I'll elevate to 8.5/10 with the inclusion of "The Doctor Who Cloned Me", an add-on that should've been packed in from the get-go and included a LOT of stuff I'd hoped would be in the main game (including the fight with Dr. Proton).

And my standard defense for anyone who says DNF sucked?

"Hey, it's a decent game if you're not into CoD or Halo....and at least it's not Daikatana. :whistling:"

• Judge Mental

View PostMajor Tom, on 03 March 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

I personally thought Duke Nukem Forever was decent. Not perfect, but enjoyable for someone who's followed the series (and chooses to ignore the sordid development history). 7/10, tops.....

Ignoring the development history makes things worse. You're left with no explanation for why the game is such a Frankenstein's beast, why the game runs like shit on consoles, and for what the game is on PC it's a mish mash, a collage, of a dozen other games. The development cycle is the only way to at least justify why some of the problems exist in the first place.

Duke3D is like Doom in the sense that it borrows some of the same framework, and it borrows from action movies and pop culture to create the characters and world it puts out, but it's mixed and interwoven in such a way that it becomes something new. Duke Forever takes from several different games, internet and TV culture, and fails to get the mixture right. The places it pulled it's gameplay from do not gel, and it makes large sections of the game a plodding chore to get through. How many goddamn forced turret sections does one game need?

....which I'll elevate to 8.5/10 with the inclusion of "The Doctor Who Cloned Me", an add-on that should've been packed in from the get-go and included a LOT of stuff I'd hoped would be in the main game (including the fight with Dr. Proton).

Gameplay wise there is literally nothing new or different in Doctor Who Cloned Me. Different paint, sure, and some of it even looks better than the stock game, but it is clearly stuff they just hacked out of the main game, then finished off and released as a "DLC" to milk a few more bucks out of DNF before it completely shit the bed and faded into obscurity. There is nothing on offer in TDWCM that isn't in the main game. The only real improvement is that Duke doesn't come off as a complete and total douchebag, and instead they transferred that over to Dylan, which worked much better. Dylan works better as a douchey-stooge to Duke's more straight man approach in those instances.

Also, you bring back Doctor Proton. Duke's initial, prime, ultimate nemesis, something some fans have wanted to see happen in the series for quite a long time... and you have him killed off rather unceremoniously halfway through the DLC, thusly knee-capping all the intrigue at work for the first few levels. Proton should have survived to the end of the game and been the primary/ultimate boss. I would not have even included the aliens at all.

'Hey, it's a decent game if you're not into CoD or Halo....and at least it's not Daikatana. :whistling:"

That makes no sense. It's exactly like COD and Halo. Regen health (COD and Halo), often arena wave based combat, or down linear paths (COD and Halo), limited arsenal (COD and Halo), Quick-time events up the ass, interuptive scripted events up the ass, on and on.

User is offline   Lunick 

I love how whenever DNF is brought up anywhere there is always a little debate about who liked it and who didn't. :whistling:

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostLunick, on 02 March 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

It doesn't take that long to play... there is some minor exploration. When I play it, I don't try to compare it to when it was made... it feels like what I might think of as a Super NES Duke Nukem game.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 March 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

I tried to play through it a couple times, I encountered crashes, and game breaking glitches. It's clearly an unfinished product.
That seems odd... I have played it to completion six-plus times and never had issues with it. Strange.

As far as being unfinished, I would agree for some aspects of the game. Gameplay could have used some tweaking for sure. I guess I just think of it as primitive as opposed to unfinished. I enjoy it for what it is... except the couple of places that are severely unbalanced.

I do agree that part of the challenge of the game is fighting some poorly implemented ideas. The game was just too ambitious for the DS, and for the teams time constraints and maybe the developers capabilities. I will say this... after a chat with Terry Nagy about the intended direction and goals of the game, my attitude toward how it turned out was changed.

MrBlackCat

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 March 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Ignoring the development history makes things worse. You're left with no explanation for why the game is such a Frankenstein's beast, why the game runs like shit on consoles, and for what the game is on PC it's a mish mash, a collage, of a dozen other games. The development cycle is the only way to at least justify why some of the problems exist in the first place.

Duke3D is like Doom in the sense that it borrows some of the same framework, and it borrows from action movies and pop culture to create the characters and world it puts out, but it's mixed and interwoven in such a way that it becomes something new. Duke Forever takes from several different games, internet and TV culture, and fails to get the mixture right. The places it pulled it's gameplay from do not gel, and it makes large sections of the game a plodding chore to get through. How many goddamn forced turret sections does one game need?

Gameplay wise there is literally nothing new or different in Doctor Who Cloned Me. Different paint, sure, and some of it even looks better than the stock game, but it is clearly stuff they just hacked out of the main game, then finished off and released as a "DLC" to milk a few more bucks out of DNF before it completely shit the bed and faded into obscurity. There is nothing on offer in TDWCM that isn't in the main game. The only real improvement is that Duke doesn't come off as a complete and total douchebag, and instead they transferred that over to Dylan, which worked much better. Dylan works better as a douchey-stooge to Duke's more straight man approach in those instances.

Also, you bring back Doctor Proton. Duke's initial, prime, ultimate nemesis, something some fans have wanted to see happen in the series for quite a long time... and you have him killed off rather unceremoniously halfway through the DLC, thusly knee-capping all the intrigue at work for the first few levels. Proton should have survived to the end of the game and been the primary/ultimate boss. I would not have even included the aliens at all.

That makes no sense. It's exactly like COD and Halo. Regen health (COD and Halo), often arena wave based combat, or down linear paths (COD and Halo), limited arsenal (COD and Halo), Quick-time events up the ass, interuptive scripted events up the ass, on and on.

And Shitty one liners

I love those one-liners. And the campaign has more in common with Half-Life 2 than Halo or CoD. Comparing to CoD isn't fair in my opinion, those campaigns have no imagination. Duke has lots of jumping, even platforming, creative areas, and even puzzles. Similar in style to HL2 puzzles, like the ol classic HL2 put a bunch of boxes on a thing thing etc. But it is true we've discussed this stuff.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I agree with PsychoGoatee that whilst the game had some serious flaws, it at least wasn't anything like CoD where you're not even allowed to explore an area without having an AI buddy constantly telling you what to do and where to go. It did feel more like HL2 (or at least, an attempt at a HL2 gameplay style) than anything else. I could see the seeds of a legitimately good game somewhere in there but of course everything got fucked up (the shrunken levels like the kitchen are really fucking good, I don't know how you can see that and compare it to stuff like CoD, which the only really good one to me was Black Ops 2)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 04 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 March 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

down linear paths (COD and Halo), limited arsenal (COD and Halo), Quick-time events up the ass, interuptive scripted events up the ass, on and on.

More like COD, and COD alone.

Most Halo titles have some semblance of non-linearity to their levels. There are some that just throw you into an open area, (See: The Silent Cartographer, a level that takes place on an open island, you can travel anywhere on the island and take the objective from any direction. The inside of the base/island has different routes to reach the same places as well.) and some levels where you can do objectives completely out of order. There are several levels in Halo 1, Halo 3, and Reach that are like this. Halo 2, Halo 4, and Halo 5 are the most linear Halo games I've played so far.

Also, the only Halo game to have quick-time events is Halo 4, in the intro only. Possibly Halo 5, but I haven't come across any yet in my playthrough. None of the others have them.

As for scripted events, most work like Half-life in Halo, where it doesn't take you out of control for these events, except in between levels. (Usually 1 intro cinematic, 1 exit per level.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 05 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options