Duke4.net Forums: Forum style changes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum style changes

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I'm dicking around with the forum templates, trying to make the forums look a bit less garish and more comfortable to people coming over from 3DR. Anyone have any suggestions? The stuff that has changed so far should be pretty obvious to anyone who was a member here before I registered, or to anyone who has been posting or reading regularly over the past few days.

Oh yeah, and if you're in the middle of browsing the forums and things start moving around, looking different between page views, or even possibly look completely messed up, that'd be me messing around.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Arg, Can you make the text on the catagories bold?

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I'm not a big fan of that hidious Warn meterthat members carry around... I don't mind the system, i guess it's good enough, but it looks freaking ugly...
Is there a good and effective way of hiding it, and still making it easily usable and easy to find when it's needed ..?

I also never really liked the buttons in te lower right (Reply, Quote, Edit, etc) i liked the more simple ones from 3DR, letters with a tiny symbol/whatever that indicates that it's clickable, but not standing out by loking like a yellow pill shaped blob as it is now, but i guess that's more of a layout design thing, which probably requires redsplat to work with some art, but i'm saying it here anyways, seems relevant...

I'm also not a big fan of the whole extra section for the Forum members names (although it's small) You know, that yellow'ish box with the name in it, followed by an arrow that leads to more options (visiting profile, sending PM's etc) I'd like it just to show the name above the Avatar, and the allowing for more options when clicking the members name...

I like the wide'ness of the forum posts inside threads and all, but i thought it might be worth it trying to see how the main forum index would look if it was slightly more centered, instead of being just as wide as the forum posts (pretty much like on 3DR, only filling the whole page in threads, but otherwise being more centered when browsing the lest of forums and topics...

• el fundador

I agree about the warning thing, even though regular users can't see it. I'll see about making it less horrible looking. ;)

User is offline   laffer 

I think it looks pretty good, actually. But some minor changes would make it better.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I dont like the thickness of the thread title area and stuff.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Looks like TX fixed it.

TX ftw. <3

User is offline   John 

• Residential Hippie

Indeed. :P Thanks TX.

• el fundador

Np! I also just fixed some problem with the new dark skin where the background would show up as some really awful neon green in IE due to a typo in a color.

If any of you haven't seen the dark skin yet, it's available in that dropdown at the bottom of the page.

User is offline   Micki! 

Dark skin look awesome nice now..!

Smilies still need the white corners fixed though (maybe replace them with our own original smilies ..?)
And the nuke symbols in the forum index have a white background, unless that is on purpose ..? I currently see no other problems just yet though... You even fixed the white corners on the quote/edit/etc buttons :P

And although i like red, it's a bit hard to read names on the dark background, i love red and black, but i'm not sure if it's a good combination for member names...
But i'm using the TV as PC monitor right now, it might look different with a regular monitor which is closer to your face and stuff...

• el fundador

Yeah, I know the smilies still need to be fixed... was thinking of just taking the ones from 3DR. I think the red might have to stay though because green and blue didn't work so well in the long run. :P We also know about the icons in the forum index, but changing them means I can't have the two skins use the same image dir anymore because there's no way to alter them to look good on both backgrounds. :P

User is offline   Micki! 

Doesn't transparent nuke images work either though ..? (for the index)
Then both themes could use the same pic, and still look perfectly fine..! :P

I like the 3DR emoticons idea, i actually like those the most of any other smilies on any forums i've visited... Especially the :P -one and the :blink: -one, and i use those alot..!

• el fundador

Transparent won't work because the cool drop shadow effect would be gone.

User is offline   Micki! 

Can't we just make the shadows themselves semi-transparent too then ..? Or will the pic take more space than necessary that way ..?
Perhaps creating a frame around it would make it seem less awkward too, i'm not sure...

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

Just started using Nightstrike Duke. Simply rad. I love it. Might be a good idea to bring it to the attention of the daily poster who doesn't know the site too well yet.

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 19 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Transparent won't work because the cool drop shadow effect would be gone.

No screw the dropshadow, that's no problem. The problem is the shape. Jaggy edges.

See: Posted Image

Well, i guess i have to go with PNG. I'll upload them.

Posted Image

User is offline   Micki! 

Looks Perfect Redsplat \o/
And Ramen has got a point, perhaps we should make some sort of announcement for the forum goers about the availability of both themes...
I laso think that bottom of the page makes the theme feature too vague and hidden to the regular user (to be honest, i totally missed, and forgot all about its existence for a whole year) Perhaps we should move it somewhere on top of the forum page instead ..? Or maybe a shortcut with the user CP etc called "change theme" I pesonally like this theme alot now, it deserves some better attention... :P

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

View PostMicki!, on May 19 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Looks Perfect Redsplat \o/
And Ramen has got a point, perhaps we should make some sort of announcement for the forum goers about the availability of both themes...
I laso think that bottom of the page makes the theme feature too vague and hidden to the regular user (to be honest, i totally missed, and forgot all about its existence for a whole year) Perhaps we should move it somewhere on top of the forum page instead ..? Or maybe a shortcut with the user CP etc called "change theme" I pesonally like this theme alot now, it deserves some better attention... :P

Initially after your post about "theme" I was navigating around in the user cp, trying to find the theme change. So I agree that placing it there would be a good idea.

• el fundador

I don't wanna mangle the forum templates TOO much more, because every change I make is another change I'm gonna have to redo when IP.Board 3.0 is done. I did post a forum announcement that mentions the theme being available along with the location of the theme selector though.

User is offline   Micki! 

I almost forgot about the new version of the software coming up... So yeah, i guess we shouldn't add anymore to the theme itself untill the update hits...
But, i guess keep making up suggestions and coming with ideas is alright, it's still relevant to any future software used afterall...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nighstrike is cool, but I think it'd be better if the brown was changed to a cobalt blue, and the text was brighter. The text is all too dark, really.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I guess I'll post this in this thread as it is related to stylesheets:
The Google ads at the top of the page overlap the hierarchy of the forums I am in. (see attached)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: forum_overlap.JPG

I would appreciate if I can stay logged in at all times when I am returning as it was at 3DR. Sick and tired of having to log in every time again and again. Thanks.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Mr. Flibble: Looks like you're running 1024x768 or below. What's your screen resolution?

Another Duke Fan: I'm always logged in--did you make sure to click the "Remember Me" box?

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I'm on 1280x1024 and those google ads piss me off too

This post has been edited by Roma Loom: 04 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostYatta, on Jun 4 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

Mr. Flibble: Looks like you're running 1024x768 or below. What's your screen resolution?

Yeah...there are a lot of funky things with this computer's graphic settings....stupid school lab computers.
Why the hell was this set to 16 bit? Anyway, I'm not changing the resolution on this thing because I really shouldn't (even though I have the power to).

View PostYatta, on Jun 5 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

Another Duke Fan: I'm always logged in--did you make sure to click the "Remember Me" box?

Yes, I did but it does not work. As soon as I reboot I always asks me to log in. It really hurts...

User is offline   Micki! 

Does the same for me, happens to every site though, resetting all the personal info n the browser doesn't help either...
It's not annoying me enough to do anything about it though, but if i founda solution i'd get it fixed right away...

I'm using firefox...

User is offline   Kathy 

Also, in the Opera for example you can use a wand to remember passwords. But I don't know if it has any power if the cookies aren't doing the proper job.

I am glad to report that my login issues seem to be gone and I can successfuly return on the forum now, at any time and without to have to re-login every single time. Thank you!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options