Duke4.net Forums: Controller Support --- some issues and suggestions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Controller Support --- some issues and suggestions

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I just plugged in my Logitech game controller which is supposed to work like an xbox 360 controller. I am pleased to find that it works pretty well with EDuke32. :thumbsup: But I have some comments and suggestions aimed at improving controller support.

--When assigning buttons, the player is presented with a list of button numbers and then asked to find game functions to go with them. But a modern controller has 17 or more buttons, and we typically don't know which one is "button 0", or "button 5" etc. On my controller it turns out that "button 0" is pressing up on the D-pad. I suggest that button assignment be reworked so that the player is presented with a list of game functions, and then presses the button that he wants to assign to that function. Then we don't have to spent a lot of time on trial and error or researching the button numbers..

--The same principle applies to analog controller axis assignment. Instead of being asked which function I want assigned to Axis 0, I should be given a list of functions, such as "strafe", and then when I assign an axis to it I press on the axis input that I want to use. I realize this might be harder to implement than the button one, and I regard it as lower priority, since there are far fewer axis than there are buttons.

--Put the "invert aiming" option in the joystick setup menu, rather than only having it in the mouse menu.

--On modern consoles, it is standard in a first person shooter to assign movement to the left analog stick and looking/turning to the right stick. And while there is no one standard button assignment, there are some common ones, and some standards (e.g. the Dpad is never used for jumping, firing etc). If possible, it would be good to have the default settings follow the standards. I realize this might require having controller profiles so it might be difficult.

A few problems I am encountering:

-Once I look or turn using the right analog stick, it continues to drift very slightly. I don't believe that my controller needs to be calibrated because it doesn't normally have this problem.

-Probably related to above: I want there to be a deadzone, but if I set deadzone (on any axis) to a nonzero value, that axis completely stops working. This could be an issue with the particular type of controller I am using. Later, I will try another controller and see what happens.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I just went and tried to play with a 360 controller, same issue with the deadzone killing the axis completely. Trying to set it in game will only allow a 0 or 1.

Also the same issue with drifting, my controller does drift a bit on one axis normally, but it's much worse here.

As an aside for anyone who may ever want to use a controller, I've had good luck with a free tool Xpadder, maps joysticks to mouse, buttons to keyboards presses...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Two more things:

-The opening dialog box continues to have "keyboard and mouse" selected even if you started EDuke32 with "keyboard and joystick" or "all supported devices" the last time you played.

-Setting buttons is made more difficult by having a separate double-pressing option for every button. In very few cases would a player actually want that option, and in most cases having it be a different function from a single button press will cause problems.

@Drek: I am considering adding split-screen local coop, and for that it would be nice to be able to competely separate the keyboard and mouse controls from the gamepad controls.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options