Duke4.net Forums: Delayed Key Presses - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Delayed Key Presses

User is offline   juvenite 

Well, I'm having some problems with my computer...
Sometimes, key presses are delayed, mainly when I'm gaming or using "heavy" programs and pressing too fast (and sometimes not).
And when delayed, most times the key press is continuum, even if I already physically released the key.
The problem is not the keyboard, 'cause it's brand new and that happens to my old one too.
Please, help '^'

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 04 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Without actually testing your computer, there are too many possibilities, thus the basics first for the usual suspects Posted Image
https://support.stea...=5365-RXBN-5508

next
http://portableapps....onitor-portable
a program I swear to it; Process Hacker. Run it in the background, and when you experience keyboard lack then switch to it, it may give you a hint of a possible program that should not run.

p.s. I had some issues too and it turned out, when I played games, the screen saver wanted to turn on and fucked up game play of my older games (Quake II and Half Life), another surprise was MS defrag shit worked in the background without my permission and so on.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I would uninstall your USB drivers using device manager, and check "Delete the driver software for this device." Reinstall the drivers afterward - Intel and AMD chipset drivers, or the manufacturer's drivers for your USB3 controller are what you'll need. Windows 8 and above does not require USB3 drivers so uninstalling them will just reallocate resources - try this anyway for any device where you cannot delete the driver software.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would try running a scan with Windows Defender Offline, followed by Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, and ComboFix. I call it the Hiroshima. Leave no survivors, burn the bugs. ADWCleaner can be completed in two minutes and ComboFix in as little as five so this process isn't as time consuming as it sounds.

After that's done, open the command prompt as an administrator (right click, run as admin) and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. That will check for corrupted Windows files and try to repair them. If some can't be repaired, it will tell you. You'll need to reformat regardless if this is the case.

You can also try running a load test. Install the hardware monitoring software for your motherboard and run Prime95 and Heaven Benchmark simultaneously. I've seen weak 3.3v and 5v rails do some truly weird shit in the past when it comes to peripherals. A bad 12v rail can cause issues too. Watch the voltages like a hawk and watch for anything that falls out of spec (i.e. 3.2v, 4.8v, 11.8v).

If none of this works, reformat. If you're really paranoid about boot sector viruses, zero out the drive first. If it's STILL fucked up afterwards, try updating the BIOS. If it still persists AFTER THAT pray to the blood gods or buy a new USB card or motherboard.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 03 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

What are your system specs? Especially processor, RAM, graphics card, and disk drives. The problem sounds like your computer performance is bottlenecking and Windows (assuming you're running Windows) isn't able to respond to changes in the state of your interface devices.

I think that kind of goes without saying but if it turns out this guy is that illiterate I'm gonna be pissed I just wasted that much time trying to help...

Even if it's an ancient piece of shit virus scanning and optimization can't hurt.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 03 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   juvenite 

View PostPerson of Color, on 03 January 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

I would uninstall your USB drivers using device manager, and check "Delete the driver software for this device." Reinstall the drivers afterward - Intel and AMD chipset drivers, or the manufacturer's drivers for your USB3 controller are what you'll need.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would try running a scan with Windows Defender Offline, followed by Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, and ComboFix. I call it the Hiroshima. Leave no survivors, burn the bugs. ADWCleaner can be completed in two minutes and ComboFix in as little as five so this process isn't as time consuming as it sounds.

I think that kind of goes without saying but if it turns out this guy is that illiterate I'm gonna be pissed I just wasted that much time trying to help...

Even if it's an ancient piece of shit virus scanning and optimization can't hurt.

Wow wow, calm down buddy.
That solved my problem, thanks.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 04 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options