Duke4.net Forums: Spread Love & Laughs, Bring The King Back! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spread Love & Laughs, Bring The King Back!  "Just peace here, please! ^^"

User is offline   Mark 

There is a guy here on the forums, Zykov Eddy, who has made and released a few maps with a "unique" flavor to them. Delving into the mind bending realm. You might want to do a search and take a look at them for inspiration to do something out of the ordinary.

User is offline   juvenite 

View PostCultureShock, on 22 December 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Profiles have a "Send Me a Message" button. You could PM one of the mods and as them to move your topic or split the topic if this is possible.

After the basics of sectors I will need to understand them better. There's some funny things I'd like to use them for but this may not be straightforward even if it's possible. I may have to try other tricks which thinking about this may be better. I'm itching to show people if what I have in mind is possible but this would ruin the surprise. Another similar trick I thought of would be "What? No way!" For the moment I'm not looking further ahead than a one room map.

I don't know much about sector effects yet. Next to nothing.

It's crossing my mind to change Duke to Bombshell but this might involve a bigger 2-3 room map idea and a HUD change too. Oh, the trauma. I'll need to yank on my skinny jeans and biker jacket and post a new avatar pic. Some guy posted his superbike outside my house last night. It crossed my mind to run out and stage a photo but it was too dark.

I haven't done anything yet. I may put some time in this evening when I have some things out of the way and have calmed down from super-exciting myself.

It sucks when you're so excited about your projects and you wanna tell everyone, but you don't wanna kill their experiences with them.
The basics are a bit complicated at first, but you get used to them.
I downloaded some FAQ and trick text files to make translucent water and con editing for example.
I'm kinda trying to make a new everything. Sprites, HUDs, SFXs and etc are gonna be modified.
That will give me a lot of work but I think it's gonna be great!
SectorEffectors are great for story, "realism" and ambience, I'm looking foward to use all of them!
Deviantart, tumblr (oh boy) and YouTube are great to get some inspiration in many ways too.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 22 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   CultureShock 

• Banned

View PostMark., on 22 December 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

There is a guy here on the forums, Zykov Eddy, who has made and released a few maps with a "unique" flavor to them. Delving into the mind bending realm. You might want to do a search and take a look at them for inspiration to do something out of the ordinary.

Okay. Thank you.

Rather usefully I lost my place in a tutorial page when I was learning something. Now I can't find it!

There's some effects I'd like to do which may be possible (I hope). I want to try some things so I can create beautiful maps. This may give you a blech reaction... Flowers and butterflies! I know, I know. I'm not going overboard. This is stylistic detail I'd like to work in to my first test map if I can. I'm trying not to be too ambitious for now just learn what the engine allows and how I might use this.

I think some dreamy elements would be good. The idea of cutscenes and things like triggers or whatever could be useful to make a concept map interactive but I need to examine this much later. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 22 December 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

It sucks when you're so excited about your projects and you wanna tell everyone, but you don't wanna kill their experiences with them.
The basics are a bit complicated at first, but you get used to them.
I downloaded some FAQ and trick text files to make translucent water and con editing for example.
I'm kinda trying to make a new everything. Sprites, HUDs, SFXs and etc are gonna be modified.
That will give me a lot of work but I think it's gonna be great!
SectoEffectors are great for story, "realism" and ambience, I'm looking foward to use all of them!
Deviantart, tumblr (oh boy) and YouTube are great to get some inspiration in many ways too.

Yes. I'm getting there very slowly. I'm forgetting things and snarling up but it's only day one. Hopefully panic attacks will go away in a few days. :thumbsup:

We are trying different things at the moment... I'd really like to nail my style first if I can. I want to keep things very simple to begin with but need to bend and twist the engine to breaking point to achieve the visual style I'm hoping for. If I can manage this (and it's a super super big "if") sprites and HUDs and sFxs etc would really really add some value to round off my concept. I don't think I'll be able to touch anything like you are planning for a while. This is really too much for me but it will be exciting watching how you develop things like this.

I have some inspirations but may definitely need to hit up the art resources. One reason is I want things to look right. Mostly this is basics like space and detail but maybe other things too!

This post has been edited by CultureShock: 22 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostCultureShock, on 22 December 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

There's some effects I'd like to do which may be possible (I hope). I want to try some things so I can create beautiful maps. This may give you a blech reaction... Flowers and butterflies! I know, I know. I'm not going overboard. This is stylistic detail I'd like to work in to my first test map if I can. I'm trying not to be too ambitious for now just learn what the engine allows and how I might use this.

I think some dreamy elements would be good. The idea of cutscenes and things like triggers or whatever could be useful to make a concept map interactive but I need to examine this much later. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Flowers and butterflies, good idea, as well the dreamy elements!
Mine will be a bit opposed, like, nightmarry elements! (But mixed with dreamy ones, and does that word even exist??)
I think you should just worry with cutscenes and etc after you develop the main concepts and the story is well thought, if it has any.
I'm thinking about adding particles to some sprites (And creating new ones!)
The story, environment, characters, etc, has nothing to do with Duke, I might not even call this a DN map, but just a map made with its engine.
I'm perfectionist and really detailed when it comes to something I really like.

View PostCultureShock, on 22 December 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yes. I'm getting there very slowly. I'm forgetting things and snarling up but it's only day one. Hopefully panic attacks will go away in a few days. :)

We are trying different things at the moment... I'd really like to nail my style first if I can. I want to keep things very simple to begin with but need to bend and twist the engine to breaking point to achieve the visual style I'm hoping for. If I can manage this (and it's a super super big "if") sprites and HUDs and sFxs etc would really really add some value to round off my concept. I don't think I'll be able to touch anything like you are planning for a while. This is really too much for me but it will be exciting watching how you develop things like this.

I have some inspirations but may definitely need to hit up the art resources. One reason is I want things to look right. Mostly this is basics like space and detail but maybe other things too!

I think I'm being too ambitious and excited with all the possibilities, but I know I can make things like this!
Yeah, it's reaaallyy a lot, I think I have to be a bit more simple at first, but my ambition just get me and I can't really control it :thumbsup:
You caught my interest, and now I'm willing to help with something in the future, I think that will be a good experience!

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 22 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

• Banned

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 22 December 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Flowers and butterflies, good idea, as well the dreamy elements!
Mine will be a bit opposed, like, nightmarry elements! (But mixed with dreamy ones, and does that word even exist??)
I think you should just worry with cutscenes and etc after you develop the main concepts and the story is well thought, if it has any.
I'm thinking about adding particles to some sprites (And creating new ones!)
The story, environment, characters, etc, has nothing to do with Duke, I might not even call this a DN map, but just a map made with its engine.
I'm perfectionist and really detailed when it comes to something I really like.

Ooh. Crumbs. Yikes!

Um, well. I'm a real gasbag. I'm not even close to the bothersome stuff you listed. Your ideas do sound very good though and have a lot of potential. I'd like to try them myself but not even at the beginning.

View PostCultureShock, on 22 December 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Ooh. Crumbs. Yikes!

Um, well. I'm a real gasbag. I'm not even close to the bothersome stuff you listed. Your ideas do sound very good though and have a lot of potential. I'd like to try them myself but not even at the beginning.

Oh come on, you're not!
Your ideas are out of common and really interesting, and you're free to try them out, of course! :thumbsup:

• Banned

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 22 December 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

Oh come on, you're not!
Your ideas are out of common and really interesting, and you're free to try them out, of course! :thumbsup:

I had a meeting today. From what I can tell most people's meetings last only 10-30 minutes tops. My meeting lasted two hours. We really needed three hours to review and polish presentation. We even wondered if we might book a meeting after Christmas to review things. They were a little pressured for time today and their new year was busy so we had to cut this short as we were. After the meeting I asked for their opinion of the balance of content versus time. This became a little confusing and almost a meeting itself! After clarifying things between ourselves they said the balance benchmarked okay in their experience.

The thing is our meeting was just to summarise various events and details. I tend to overcomplicate stuff because sometimes there's multiple layers which sometimes run in to each other two. There's also issues with expanding concepts people aren't themselves familiar with so they themselves can condense and translate into a form they are familiar with in a general sense.

I wish we had more time today not just because I felt our work would have benefited but I felt our meeting was a pleasant experience in itself. I needed to decompress and it was helpful not being crowded by pushy silo-mentalities with technical agendas. I think he got off my saying I needed to consult with someone with management and professional business expertise. He was really nice which I really think helped things along a lot too. If our meeting ran on my panicking we would never have got anything done!

This has got me re-evaluating a few things too. I've become used to running things my way and when people try to bounce me with their job titles I don't react very well. Another thing is I don't like is being made to feel like I'm being directed like a dogsbody. This didn't happen today and made a pleasant change! I've been way to angry and intense lately which I'm sure hasn't helped. I won't blame people for mistakes and misinterpretations which can create the impression of slack professional standards but when this does happen I wish they would pay heed more.

I don't know... This kind of thing is a funny topic - interesting on one level and dead boring to everyone else on another. When things go well you can take them for granted and when they go wrong life can become stupidly complicated. Today was good though.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

In light of the positiveness being emanated in this thread, upvoting everybody. Merry Christmas!

View PostSpastic Lagomorph, on 23 December 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

In light of the positiveness being emanated in this thread, upvoting everybody. Merry Christmas!

I can't upvote yet but thanks for the kindness and Merry Christmas to you too! ^-^

View PostCultureShock, on 23 December 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

I had a meeting today. From what I can tell most people's meetings last only 10-30 minutes tops. My meeting lasted two hours. We really needed three hours to review and polish presentation. We even wondered if we might book a meeting after Christmas to review things. They were a little pressured for time today and their new year was busy so we had to cut this short as we were. After the meeting I asked for their opinion of the balance of content versus time. This became a little confusing and almost a meeting itself! After clarifying things between ourselves they said the balance benchmarked okay in their experience.

The thing is our meeting was just to summarise various events and details. I tend to overcomplicate stuff because sometimes there's multiple layers which sometimes run in to each other two. There's also issues with expanding concepts people aren't themselves familiar with so they themselves can condense and translate into a form they are familiar with in a general sense.

I wish we had more time today not just because I felt our work would have benefited but I felt our meeting was a pleasant experience in itself. I needed to decompress and it was helpful not being crowded by pushy silo-mentalities with technical agendas. I think he got off my saying I needed to consult with someone with management and professional business expertise. He was really nice which I really think helped things along a lot too. If our meeting ran on my panicking we would never have got anything done!

This has got me re-evaluating a few things too. I've become used to running things my way and when people try to bounce me with their job titles I don't react very well. Another thing is I don't like is being made to feel like I'm being directed like a dogsbody. This didn't happen today and made a pleasant change! I've been way to angry and intense lately which I'm sure hasn't helped. I won't blame people for mistakes and misinterpretations which can create the impression of slack professional standards but when this does happen I wish they would pay heed more.

I don't know... This kind of thing is a funny topic - interesting on one level and dead boring to everyone else on another. When things go well you can take them for granted and when they go wrong life can become stupidly complicated. Today was good though.

I understand you, I honestly am passing through a lot of stress recently.
Not professionally, but personally, which affects me a lot.
You wrote a lot but I don't know how to answer you though, due my lack of experience and sociability.
Sorry.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 23 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Mark 

CultureShock, don't worry about being boring. Being a non golfer and listening to people talk about their golf game is boring.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 23 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

• Banned

I drafted replies to you guys but lost them when my computer crashed. I have the parts to repair my computer but have been avoiding this because it's a real headache. I have to unplug all the leads and put a new board in and stuff so I've been ignoring it. I don't know why I'm finding this so difficult because I built it myself!

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 23 December 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

I understand you, I honestly am passing through a lot of stress recently.
Not professionally, but personally, which affects me a lot.
You wrote a lot but I don't know how to answer you though, due my lack of experience and sociability.
Sorry.

Don't sweat not knowing how to reply to my meeting thing. I've had to deal with reintegrating myself and how different people and organisations can have different priorities and attitudes. To some degree this is both professional and personal. Mostly personal, I suppose, just in an administrative context. I've had to deal with demands and pressures I'm not used to with a lot of the boss is always right and don't rock the boat attitude. I've had to content with breaches of policy and people taking the easy way out and the office politics blew up in my face. When dealing with other people they've been more positive with making things happen. This was a huge contrast. I'm on a really big learning curve myself at the moment!

View PostMark., on 23 December 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

CultureShock, don't worry about being boring. Being a non golfer and listening to people talk about their golf game is boring.

I know what you mean about the golf thing. There's times when I feel people can hide behind these things and push you out. It's very tribal and selfish. If people behave like this I assume they're playing a different game. Like office politics this can be unhelpful. I'm trying to see a different side to this though. I mean, you can't stop people being nasty if they want to be but things like this can also be a means to the end. If they are sociable then it's just an excuse for a convo and meeting people and these things can often lead to other things. I find all this very difficult to navigate, myself, but I suppose it's about not being trapped and having your own emotional foundations.

View PostCultureShock, on 24 December 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Don't sweat not knowing how to reply to my meeting thing. I've had to deal with reintegrating myself and how different people and organisations can have different priorities and attitudes. To some degree this is both professional and personal. Mostly personal, I suppose, just in an administrative context. I've had to deal with demands and pressures I'm not used to with a lot of the boss is always right and don't rock the boat attitude. I've had to content with breaches of policy and people taking the easy way out and the office politics blew up in my face. When dealing with other people they've been more positive with making things happen. This was a huge contrast. I'm on a really big learning curve myself at the moment!

I'd say I'm just starting this ride in many aspects, lol, the world, the people are a huge confusing thing for me (and tiny at the same time).

Oh, I was recently trying to use some .art, .con and .grp editing programs, MIDI composers, and more stuff like this.
In terms of software, I got all I need I guess.
By the fact I'm using a Mac, things are a bit complicated at first, due the program errors I get, as I'm using Wine and DOSBox to run them and sometimes a component is missing.
I'll have a lot of work to do, but I think it's worth it.

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 24 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 15 December 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

Well, I've been a member here just for a few days (but I already acessed this site) and I can say I'm falling in love with this community...
You guys are really funny, I always come here thinking I'll have a good experience, even with all the hostility and childness going on in here, lol.
But anyway, here is a topic for all the good things!
No hate, offenses and childish fights, here's a place for people to share works, love and efforts to bring Duke Nukem back to life (or at least to keep remains alive).
So please, just peace, love, mature constructive discussions and remember, this website has its downsides, all communities have their, but Duke4.net has good things as well, and, maybe, great things still to come.
So yeah, be happy and feel at home. ^^
Things I like in here:

Supportive People: they're basically everywhere.
There are forums for everything, so anyone can help you with anything.
Sure, not everyone is, but come on, just forget that and avail the people who are!

Funny Threads: there are threads I laugh my ass off reading them, usually by getting off topic or just some jokes and funny gifs.
Examples: The Post Thread
And the Dumb Shit Thread

Open Minded People: ok, that's relative (and not everyone here is) but I find this really good, 'cause where I live, there are lot of intolerant people and I'm just really sick of them.

Share Works: You can share all your works and projects related to the badass alien ass kicker Duke Nukem (and of another games as well!) like musics, maps, drawings, animations, mods, basically all kinds of stuff!

Interact With People And Make New Friends: I know that's obvious since it's a community, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Here are the things I like...
Tell your reasons why you like here!
*Plays Inspirational Music* Remember, with maturity, creativity and comprehension, we can keep Duke4.net alive, and more and more popular.
And that happening, we can revive Duke Nukem.
That depends of us, we are this site, these forums, everything.
Duke's almost dying, but the remainings of his life is still at our hands and we won't let him die!!
So buy your bubble gums, get your hands in the keyboard and show your proud, DUKE NEEDS YOU.

YES !

View PostDeuce, on 27 December 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

YES !

We've got balls of shit man >=D

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 27 December 2015 - 11:01 PM

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMeaningless Wounds, on 27 December 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

We've got balls of shit man >=D

Yes, yes we do.
Posted Image
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 30 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 30 December 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

Yes, yes we do.
Posted Image
Spoiler

Dookie Forever

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 31 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Fags.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Damn Freelovin' Hippies :dukeaffirmative:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 01 February 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

Damn Freelovin' Hippies :dukeaffirmative:

Lol

View PostTea Monster, on 01 February 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yup! That's the spirit I guess

This post has been edited by Meaningless Wounds: 01 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options