Duke4.net Forums: System Shock 3 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Shock 3

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, I know. I've played the game. I just liked that remix. And I hope they don't abandon the classic soundtrack for just tense horror stuff alone.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

System Shock was full of frightening moments (at least back in 1994) and stuff I'd call horror. Even with its soundtrack. They definitely should not try to change it too much, the soundtrack gave it a lot of its identity. Going for a plain ambient soundtrack would be rather underwhelming, as can be seen in many games these days.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I believe they want to remake the music too, according to that feedback thread on SS forum. I really hope they won't go pure ambiance since they have Eric Brosius who did OST for the sequel and the game has good soundtrack which fits the game well even though people hated it for being not atmospheric enough. Maybe they'll at least remaster some most popular tracks. Too bad they don't have original composer on their team as well. That would be better if they just remade existed tracks and added some more.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

That trailer escalated quickly in views for a classic game and for Night Dive I think. When I posted this that was the last time I checked and it had 7 views at the time lol damn Turok remaster isn't going to be there most viewed video anymore already after day one. I will not be standing for this :whistling: arrrgghhhh

I agree the monster could use some touch ups on the anims i'm sure its not all finished up yet it should be more fluid. Also, nothing like a classic ost to go with a classic game would be nice to slightly remix the originals. The video looks like it has a similar atmosphere and creepy sci fi horror and the doors and stuff are neat looking. I like the filter over it to and the colors really glow but I would love to see some more action. Seems to be getting good feedback atm to. I'm interested in seeing how this goes pulling a remake off on a game like this isn't the easiest of things but I do think its on the right road so far...

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

xD Pretty cool comparison video though.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Develop: Otherside signs up Deus Ex, BioShock and Thief devs for System Shock 3.

These include design designer Sheldon Pacotti, artist Robb Waters, and creative consultant Doug Church. Quite the lineup of Ion Storm and Looking Glass vets!

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 30 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 30 August 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Develop: Otherside signs up Deus Ex, BioShock and Thief devs for System Shock 3.

These include design designer Sheldon Pacotti, artist Robb Waters, and creative consultant Doug Church. Quite the lineup of Ion Storm and Looking Glass vets!

Original SHODAN voice performer Terri Brosius also returning

User is offline   Malgon 

Shit, I can't believe it's been three years since the last post. :( Anyway, figured it was worth keeping it in this thread.

hope its good, very sad I wont be able to play tho, my laptop is crap.

This is a late, but I have some bad news to share. Recently a bunch of key developers on System Shock 3 updated their Linkedin profiles to say they were no longer working at the Austin branch of Otherside, including team members who hosted the game's 2019 GDC presentation. They've been without a publisher since the Starbreeze sold the rights to Otherside in February. The game was announced four years ago. This many people leaving the studio en mass suggests that they're possibly running low on cash and a publisher is desperately needed for the game to move forward. Even if it's not cancelled already, I doubt they can make much meaningful progress with a skeleton crew. Sadly a similar thing happened with Underworld Ascendant. Despite being announced in July 2014 and running a successful Kickstarter campaign, development ran on fumes until summer 2017 before 505 agreed to publish. The scope radically changed and the end result was a catastrophic failure.

Robb Thomas, Senior Software Engineer, Jul 2017 – Nov 2019
Francisco Cruz III, Sr Env Artist, May 2018 – Nov 2019
Elizabeth LeGros, Senior Graphics Programmer/Programmer, Jun 2017 – Nov 2019
Mark Allender, Lead Programmer, Dec 2017 – Nov 2019
Jonathan Fields, Level Designer, Sep 2018 – Oct 2019
Kyle Uberman, QA Manager, Jan 2019 – Sep 2019
Vicki Resendez, Senior Producer, Oct 2017 – Oct 2019
John Sizemore, Senior UI programmer, Apr 2018 – Oct 2019

A number of other people still listed at the studio have recently had recommendations written for them, too, including the art director, senior systems designer, and animator.

The last piece of media they released was a gameplay trailer back in September.

Back in May, Warren Spector said they had lots of publisher interest but I guess nothing concrete materialized then, possibly because of the studio's track record and recent immersive sims underperforming.

"It’s going great,” he said. “We’re talking to a lot of partners and we have a lot of interest. We don’t have a deal right now, but luckily OtherSide is flush enough that we’re funding ourselves and can continue to do that for quite a while. Let’s see what happens."

“We don’t particularly want to be a publisher... We’re not ruling anything out, but at this point we’re looking for a publishing and funding partner.”
According to a post from a former SS3 dev, the team at Austin were just as shocked by the state of Ascendant as the rest of us were.

"Warren kept promising us a play test to give Boston feedback, but for whatever reason it never happened, so most of us didn't play it until it launched.

We were horrified.

Not only was it a financial loss for the company, the damage to our reputation was irreversible even if Austin had nothing to do with it. When the news about Starbreeze came it cast a big shadow over our hopes to find a new publisher."

On how they saw the state of SS3:

"There's a lot of criticism of Warren here that I don't think is very fair. He was the most visible face of the team so I imagine it's natural to assign him blame, but if anything we needed more of his direct involvement. The team had a lot of strong personalities and he was mostly hands-off. In person he has a very gentle, kind, and humble demeanor. He had a good vision for the game, and perhaps some ambitions that were outside our reach, but I don't recall his involvement ever being corrosive.

The things that hurt us were:
Picking Unity over UE4.
Design being understaffed, and effective design leadership coming much too late.
Milestone tunnel vision. A lot of the work put into the milestone demos ended up getting thrown away.
The UA trainwreck.
Starbreeze pulling out due to bankruptcy.

Some things went right:
In spite of the technical difficulties with the engine, the staff at Unity were incredibly supportive and helpful. Some of the AAA improvements to Unity in the last couple years were born from the work they did with us.
Our milestone demos looked great.
We touched on some truly innovative game systems that I unfortunately can't talk about. We shed sweat and blood to get them working, but it started to come together."

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The worst part: Nightdive's remake of SS1 is pretty bad too based on the pre-alpha they've released recently.

Yeah, that pre-alpha was really disappointing, though it shouldn't have been that surprising. Night Dive are basically a remaster studio/port studio, right? While it would be a tall order for even an experienced studio to recapture LGS magic never mind basically a new team’s first internally developed game, the project management of this SS remake has been rough from the outset. When I saw their baffling stretch goals, including putting RPG mechanics in a game that removed them entirely on purpose, I knew it wouldn’t be a good idea to support their Kickstarter campaign, and that's ignoring the fact that it was crowdfunded as a straight-up remaster, before promises of additional funding from someone encouraged them to expand the scope considerably, adding all kinds of new crap. And then a couple months after that “someone” pulled out and they dropped back to a straight remaster. It’s your standard epic Kickstartian drama, years late, switching engines, scope creep, etc.

Considering the lame timed demo alongside the recent Otherside layoffs, it has not been a great time for System Shock fans.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 01 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

What I'm hoping for is that since the release is still very far away (there is no date but even the most optimistic predictions say the end of 2020) they'll be able to build a game out of this by the end. It's just that I've played my fair share of various pre-alphas and the game is clearly not where it should be at this point even if you consider that they restarted development.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 January 2020 - 08:42 PM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

They should change the name from 'System Shock 3' to 'Star Wars Shock 2020: Modern FIFA Space War.' Then release the game in an unfinished state, sell every level after the medical bay as DLC, add in a season pass, and put out a total of seventy-nine purchasable player-skins (a third of which should be free if you've bought the season pass). Make sure there's no real challenge of any sort in the game, and that the game is very heavily advertised, and sit back and watch it break all sales records.

This post has been edited by Kerr Avon: 06 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I waited for the eventual release of System Shock 3 to avoid playing Prey, which I felt was just a System Shock rip off using stolen license from another franchise that I also liked. But I guess I may as well give it a shot. I'm sure it's decent, I just don't like all the fuckery. Seems the games industry is full of it these days.

User is offline   Mark 

I watched that video posted above. My usual reaction is ( yawn ) another moonbase type shooter. Market overload on those for quite some time. Just my opinion. But that game looks to stand out and would actually be something I would consider buying.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View Postthricecursed, on 06 January 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

I waited for the eventual release of System Shock 3 to avoid playing Prey, which I felt was just a System Shock rip off using stolen license from another franchise that I also liked. But I guess I may as well give it a shot. I'm sure it's decent, I just don't like all the fuckery. Seems the games industry is full of it these days.

Prewy 2017 is a great game. Not as good as System Shock 2 overall, but in some ways Prey is more fun. Probably my favourite game of 2017.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Sounds good. Just wanted a proper sequel instead of all these "spiritual successors". Will check it out.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View Postthricecursed, on 06 January 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

Prey '17 gets a real bad rap.
The name is the only thing they used. The game was going to be made irregardless due to the success of Dishonored and Bethesda backing Arkane. Whatever happened with Prey 2 and Humanhead should have never had anything to do with it because it's a good game that stands on its own.

User is offline   axl 

I can only agree. Prey 2017 is a great game ! Maybe not as good as System Shock 2, but I would certainly place it among the best FPS since Half-Life 2.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's a fine game. It shouldn't be called Prey.

As to System Shock 3 I don't understand. Why can't they just go straight to Steam and self publish?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 January 2020 - 06:11 AM, said:

As to System Shock 3 I don't understand. Why can't they just go straight to Steam and self publish?

I'm guessing that it's because it's years away from being finished (despite being announced in 2015), so external funding is essential. They also probably want a publisher to help with marketing and promotion, which is what sunk Prey 2017 at release. As we know, that game didn't even make the month's top 10 downloads on the PS Store in May 2017, and was beaten by Zelda, Mario Kart, and GTA V, titles that were either ports or released months earlier, in the May NPD when it came to moving physical copies. When the studio co-founder and game director left Arkane in late July 2017, Prey had sold just 300K on Steam, and that was following a sale, so people only started supporting it after it had heavily discounted because of word of mouth. Under Starbreeze, SS3's budget was like 12 million, which is around a fifth of Prey's, and because they haven't secured a publisher despite the pedigree of the designers involved and the I.P. suggests people aren't exactly beating down their door to back games like this.

When Otherside published the September trailer, their community manager (since left) share the following on Discord:

“WOOHOO for hype! This is just a teaser though, we still have a couple of years ahead of us before we release. Also need that publisher! :lol:

User is offline   Malgon 

Tencent Is Taking The System Shock Franchise Forward

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options