• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] TamDuke

User is offline   pmw 

TamDuke

Posted Image Posted Image
Download: http://www.tamduke.kk4.fi/download

Duh.. I started this over 10 years ago, now it's time to let it go and publish it. So here it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for installing TamDuke

- Episode requires Eduke.
- Download zip-file
- Extract zip-file under your Eduke-directory
- Now you should have Eduke\Tamduke folder, including pmw.zip, duke3d.def, etc.

- Start Eduke and choose "TamDuke" from the "Custom game content directory" selector.
- Enjoy.

Misc info

- Use the classic renderer mode
- There are some huge detail differences between maps.. remember, +10 years of development.
- There are a lot of secret places, try to find em all.
- You wont finish this episode in 15 minutes...
Spoiler

Changelog

Spoiler

Thanks to

Everybody here at the forum and in IRC. I could never finish this episode without your support.
Big thanks to Eduke team, they let me to do maps with 16384 walls...

Please write bug reports, opinions, comments, etc into this topic.

- pmw

This post has been edited by pmw: 09 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Typical EDuke32 mapper. :)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

After hearing about this on IRC for half a decade or more, I'm glad it's finally done. Looks awesome.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Grats on finally gettting this done!
I'll definitely check this out once I have time.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This looks great and I love that it's based on real locations.

EDIT: I started playing this on CGS, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Right now I am on level 4, "KARUN PIMEE"

Construction and gameplay are both very good. I have only a few small complaints so far. There wasn't enough health in level 3 imo. It ended with a big fight involving many pigcops, and there was no health at all near the end of the level (unless it was in a secret which I didn't find). I started the next level with only 2 health, and still there was no health around. Luckily I was able to find toilet water lol. I guess I could have refilled that way in level 3 but it feels like cheating. My other little complaint is this: if you are going to include your own CON files, then you have to take responsibility for bugs that could easily be fixed with CON edits. Example: the player getting bitten by sharks through glass while walking past the outside of shark tanks. I felt like I was playing the Smithsonian level of Duke it out in DC :)

But these are minor gripes and it is an excellent episode so far. :)

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

Finally this long journey is over. A bit doubtful we won't hear pmw's "interesting" sentences (over IRC) again any time soon, though! :)

I should really try this soon, even if not right now.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 05 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

I had some struggles in level 4 due to it being very dark for most of the map. I know this was the intent, but it seemed excessive.
Spoiler

Level 5 is a large, open, nonlinear level with lots of enemies roaming outside. I'm working my way through it, but I have resorted to save-scumming. I don't have the patience to carefully pick my way through enemies when there are so many of them, including lots of hitscan. The sheer size and number of locations in this level is impressive, but it's a slog. Time for bed.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

EDuke32 gives some warnings when loading pmw.con. It's probably nothing serious, but I guess worth mentioning.

In the states boss1dyingstate, boss2dyingstate and boss3dyingstate you are ending the code with an empty ifspritepal condition, like:

[...]
ifactioncount 5
  {
    iffloordistl 8
      sound THUD
    action ABOSS1DEAD
    cstat 0
    ifspritepal 0
  }
ends

I assume the "ifspritepal 0" at the end can just be commented out. The way you use it here doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Also:
Can it be that if you exit the secret level, you are skipping a regular level?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 December 2015 - 02:49 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Played the first level, seems like it's going to be some quality classic Duke fun. I'll check out more tomorrow Posted Image

User is offline   ck3D 

looks way rad & OG as fuck ! getting a definite early 2000's user map-feel from the screenshots and videos. looking forward to trying this one out, will post my impressions later - congrats on your release

User is offline   pmw 

Thanks to all. Keep writing ideas and thoughts. And yes...the dark level is pretty annoying, but just wait until you reach the couple last maps. :)

And thanks NightFright, this was kind of interesting bug. I've betatested this for like million times. And, I actually downloaded a brand new Eduke and tested secret level ending, it works really fine. BUT! If I jump right into secret level (dnscotty 111), and finish the map, then it goes to wrong map. ?? I don't understand..but, the nuke button has now the correct number. And it works now as it should work.

View PostNightFright, on 05 December 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

Also:
Can it be that if you exit the secret level, you are skipping a regular level?
Spoiler

Keep on playing!

EDIT:

I uploaded an updated version to the website, with the correct ending in secret level.

This post has been edited by pmw: 05 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

I had been playing this all day today. I still haven't completed yet. but from what I had played so far, it's pretty fun. The levels have a cool design to them, like the cars, and buildings, it's awesome. Some of the levels reminds me of Duke it out in D.C. (Which is my favorite addon btw). There are some ambushes that i didn't expected, therefor, I did get killed from time to time, but I still had a fun experience to it. :)
Here are some screenshots that I took so far.

Attached Image: duke0016.png Attached Image: duke0018.png
Attached Image: duke0021.png Attached Image: duke0022.png

But unfortunately, I am stuck :P
Spoiler

Also there are a few things I would like to point out though. Whenever I save/load a game, I hear an enforcer. Also I noticed that when I load a saved game, the briefing music will be playing instead of the actual music for that level. :)

Either way, thank you for releasing this cool map pack. It is fun to play. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the levels. :P

User is offline   pmw 

Nice shots and nice to hear you like the cars!
However..sounds strange..
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by pmw: 05 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   Jaap 

Cool maps. I have to admit I downloaded them without reading and I was like 'what would tam stand for'. But when I saw the title of the levels I figured out it was probably Tampere (Isn't this near where they host Assembly winter?) :-).

User is offline   pmw 

Yes it is. All locations can be found from the city of Tampere. And yes, they used to host Assembly winter here(In Tampere..).
Actually, couple days ago, I was thinking of making a google map which shows the actual locations of these Duke maps. But blah,small country, small town, probably not interesting.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Spoiler

User is offline   pmw 

View PostJolteon, on 05 December 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

No sorrys:) all comments are welcome. And...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by pmw: 05 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Loving this so far. Agree on the turn-of-the-century vibe, when The King was on his throne.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postpmw, on 05 December 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

No sorrys:) all comments are welcome. And...

Spoiler

I have a buggy door in my map too but I kind of like the way it works. This looks like fun so I'm off to play a bit....

• Duke Plus Developer

Played some more and I'm still in level 5. Found and used the red key, found a bunch more stuff, but still don't have the blue key and it's not clear how to progress. Going around to previously beaten locations.

Yes, this episode has that early 2000s feel with solid construction (albeit not much lighting) and classic gameplay. Unfortunately, it also contains some aspects of old Duke user maps that I am more than happy to leave behind. Running around in a very large, open city map without a clue as to where to find the next key is one of those. I'll try to play the rest of the maps individually, at least.

User is offline   pmw 

Updated the latest version to website. Fixed money bug with jibs, etc.

And, I made a walkthrough videos, gonna upload those soon.

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postpmw, on 05 December 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yes it is. All locations can be found from the city of Tampere. And yes, they used to host Assembly winter here(In Tampere..).
Actually, couple days ago, I was thinking of making a google map which shows the actual locations of these Duke maps. But blah,small country, small town, probably not interesting.

I would actually love to see that ! I always find it interesting to see how people reinterpret real-life locations in DN3D

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

I agree with TerminX looks awesome, great work :).

User is offline   pmw 

View Postck3D, on 06 December 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

I would actually love to see that ! I always find it interesting to see how people reinterpret real-life locations in DN3D

Well, I had some extra time and made it:
http://tamduke.kk4.fi/map

User is offline   sergey808a 

Great episode! Cool classic-style maps with unexpected ambushes with monsters! Thanks!

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 06 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   pmw 

Thanks sergey.

I added a walkthrough video under the original post. Don't abuse it...

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I see in the walkthrough video that your episode ends without a boss fight. Since you placed the episode into slot #1 however, you will have the Battlelord cutscene playing. Looks a bit out of place if you ask me. :)

I recommend adding following code somewhere in pmw.con to fix this:
gamevar LOGO_FLAGS 4351 0

This will skip the Battlelord cutscene while still displaying the "To be continued" panel afterwards.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 December 2015 - 02:54 AM

User is offline   pmw 

Thanks, I tried to solve that issue with no results,I got frustated and you can see the result.. I'll add the gamevar soon and gonna fix one bug from the last map..

User is offline   zykov eddy 

This is a damn good mod and one of the best releases of 2015. Very good levels, great gameplay, lots of cool ideas.

I have only two nitpicks:

1.Most of the secret places are hidden is the most cruel way possible, without even a slight clue how to get into them. One of the worst examples is a sewer secret in Vistokatu, you just have to take a wild guess on where to dive into poison water to find a hidden passage.
2.Monsters sometimes spawn right behind the player which can be really annoying.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options