Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] The Underground Base Complex - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] The Underground Base Complex

User is offline   ozelot47 

This is my new singleplayer map called "The Underground Base Complex". It is a based-style map and is splitted in four wings (main,west,north,east).
With this map I'm going a way back to "Spaceship Lyonlot" which means you open new areas via switches but no switch-puzzles this time.
Use the teleporter room to go faster to the different wings.

The goal is easy. Shoot down the enemies and reach the surface

Have fun :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0001.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0003.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Kyanos 

bump

downloaded, looking forward to playing this one tonight, nice screenshots.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello and thanks for the release,

A very long map (70 minutes !) with very good gameplay I think. It remind me of System Shock 2 (haven't played the first ^^) about the general level design (open new areas and backtrack to get to it and open shortcuts).

The ambiance is quite good, I prefer urban map, but this one is really good, I really enjoyed it. The various locations are well made (garden, green house, control centre, rest room...) and the different floors are well identified (living quarters or enginery). The architecture is really clean and sprite work well done. The lightning is well done to. Some parts are really nice (like the water walls behind glasses).

The enemies spawning is really well thought, even if the level design is complicated, you are (nearly) never lost because of cameras and new enemies appearance. There's sufficient amount of ammo and life I think. I have missed a secret but secret are really one ^^, I would have prefer sliding panels to discover things, but It's still really nice.

All in all, It's really a good map I think, and the game play is really enjoyable. Congratulations, actually it was one of the most enjoyable I have played these days.

A few remarks :
- A teleporter ceiling and floor texture misaligned (cf screenshot).
- A huge Hall of Mirror effect when you are on top of the slope (cf screenshot). I think I have spotted another one will looking trough a camera, but I can't be sure.
- The dual keycard slot in central room is not centred, I don't know if it's intended.
- The sprite stairs could have been better I think.
- As the map at the beginning (well done by the way), a few more informative screens could have been nice.
- The garden could have used more 'fantasy' I think.
- Some rotating sectors floor textures doesn't look to 'rotate'.
- A flickering sprites "conflict" (back of a cupboard with a chaingun inside and a glass wall).
- For the swing doors in the central room, the ceiling part over the doors have not the same lightning as the ceiling, making it visible (I don't know if I am clear ^^).

Bye
DotK3D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0001.png

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 21 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postozelot47, on 20 November 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

With this map I'm going a way back to "Spaceship Lyonlot" which means you open new areas via switches but no switch-puzzles this time.
Quite an improvement in terms of navigating and shortening the ways to walk. :) Enemy placement and spawning fits well.
Still I'm not a great fan of running back and forth so many times. The teleporters are a good idea, but if you aren't the architect, there's still quite some milling around, if you don't remember where each room is located.
Your style is quite unique, but I'd like to encounter some less rectangular areas. Maybe try some mining complex next time. Keep on mapping!

User is offline   ozelot47 

Hello DotK3D,

thanks for the feedback. Normally this map should not be so long but i had fun to build more and more and then came a moment where i said "stop now!". I did not want multiple rooms which looks the same ecept maybe two or three rooms. This is dangerous with larger maps.

I think the Hall of Mirror effects is beacuse of the room over room what i made there.
I'am not sure if i can fix this afterwards then i have to take apart the entire west wing.
But thanks for the remarks what you noticed.

Hello LeoD,

the rooms i have created are really to much rectangular areas, that is true. Next time i try to build more individual areas :)

Grertings
ozelot47

User is online   zykov eddy 

I am sorry, but I just can't stand the gameplay mechanics on this map. Endless backtracking without having a clue where to go (I know you put signs on the doors, but who's gonna remember all of them?), button hunting, constantly respawning enemies and lack of diversity in design really got on my nerves. I know you worked hard, and I really liked some of the rooms and ideas, but if you ever gonna make another map - please, don't do that endless "button hunting" thing again. It's just no fun. It makes no sense.

Putting tons of locked doors and buttons seems like a cheap way to make the map feel "longer" and nothing more, and that's just no good level design.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 24 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

User is online   zykov eddy 

Also, please don't do mazes. Yet another annoying thing about this map.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options