Duke4.net Forums: Blender 2.62 and Exporting md3's - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blender 2.62 and Exporting md3's

User is offline   Nukester10 

When I go to export an md3 mod within Blender 2.62 the file shows up in the Duke3D folder under highres/sprites/props/ right where I want it BUT when I go to view the mod in Nphero nothing shows up!?

Ok,now the first time I tried this immediately after I created the UV map I didn't even save the map yet and I still had everything highlighted even the seams! and without saving the file I pressed the (md3 export) Tab and it STILL created a file! BUT like I said this file for some reason is Un-viewable.

Now the second time I tried this I even made sure it read below in the Blender 'cube' Custom Properties:

line 1:
Md3shader
line 2:
model/s.jpg

And yes it did produce a file again in the folder But it still was not viewable in Npherno!?

The only thing I noticed in Npherno is in line 2 it did read,

model/s.jpg

In line 1 it read, cube

Now first of all am I supposed to Save the UV Map as a jpg and that's it!???

Second am I supposed to export the md3 immediately after creating the UV Map But before saving while everything is still Highlighted including the seams like I did the first time?

I made another table and its a pretty simple mod so I believe creating groups would not be necessary I guess would it be!?

Oh yeah! When I went to check this md3 file in Misfit Model 3D on the bottom it mentioned an error message "cannot read jpg file file not loaded" something to that effect.

Does anyone have a precise step by step optimization tutorial on this so it's actually possible to view your md3 mod within Npherno after going through this entire process I just mentioned?

User is offline   Mark 

I know Misfit had the error message but did the model show?

Also, a proper md3 file must contain a group. If you didn't create one in Blender that might be the problem.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Does anyone have a precise step by step optimization tutorial on this so it's actually possible to view your md3 mod within Npherno after going through this entire process I just mentioned?

I recommend you use this exporter, https://forums.duke4...-export-script/ and I also suggest getting the same version of Blender, 2.7.

Just select the object or objects to export while in object mode, at any time after you've mapped uv coordinates.

Don't worry about all the texture files and locations at this point, those need to be defined in a .def file for EDuke32.

View PostMark., on 19 November 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Also, a proper md3 file must contain a group. If you didn't create one in Blender that might be the problem.

No the mod did not show up in Misfit

No I didn't create a group but after I read this,
I tried creating 3 groups

Group A Tabletop
Group B left 2 legs
Group C right 2 legs

And it still wouldn't show up in Npherno after export!?

I'm not 100% sure I created the groups properly though is there a tutorial for doing this?

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 20 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostDrek, on 19 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Just select the object or objects to export while in object mode, at any time after you've mapped uv coordinates

Yeah but do you have to create a UV Map before you Save the md3 file?

Also, why wouldn't you see the mod in misfit n npherno without there being a uv map?

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostNukester10, on 20 November 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

Yeah but do you have to create a UV Map before you Save the md3 file?

yes, you must make a uv map first, the map is not the skin, the uv map is the points of the model and where they go on the skin, not the texture or image itself

View PostNukester10, on 20 November 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

Also, why wouldn't you see the mod in misfit n npherno without there being a uv map?

npherno just shows the model surfaces shaded blue-red with no skin.

never use misfit... or never expect me to say anything about misfit as I've not used it, blender or bust, open source ftw

View PostMark., on 19 November 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

The answer to this was/is

In Blender Editmode> quads to triangles

Ok! I finally gotta (test) cubemod to show in Misfit first (no texture) then I viewed it in Npherno,the mod looked Good! Misfit had an error message about the Texture, Misfit not finding it or not being able to load it.

Now back to texture part,

How does the line, "Model/s.jpg" work!?

Are you supposed to add anything to that line like for example, the name of the jpg file or the name of the jpg file and it's path?

And in creating this jpg file I have a question about this as well,

In Blender 2.62 you have 2 options

1. You can create and export a UV Map
2. You can create and export a md3 mod

BUT...

Why would you even bother exporting a UV map if after creating it in blender under "custom properties" the Python Script File is going to do both for you anyhow? Isn't it!?

What I mean is,

Because I'm assuming by pressing the "export as md3" tab within Blender, 2 files would be created for you anyhow!? The file(s) would be the md3 file and the second would be the jpg UV map file!? Right???

Isn't this how this works?

Now why would I assume that?

Why would you export a UV Map of the mod THEN go back and under custom properties where it reads,

"Model/s.jpg"

export as a jpg Again!?!?!?

And why even include .jpg if there isn't even any more information on what it's path is!?

Also,when you export the mod after you have the settings in custom properties,"md3shader" "Model/s.jpg" While exporting in "objectmode" SHOULD the mod already be Textured to where you can see it textured on screen I'm saying or should it be in wireframe mode or it doesn't matter?

This is just a liiiiittle bit confusing for me because if you're not supposed to add a path to,"Model/s.jpg" then how come it reads this in Npheno on the second line!?

Npherno gui:

line 2 "Model/s.jpg"

You mean to tell me you can't even view the texture on the mod within Misfit until you first define the texture codeline within the
props.def file!?

Now you know that almost doesn't even make any sense but you know maybe that is how it works!?

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 23 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostNukester10, on 23 November 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

In Blender Editmode> quads to triangles
Ok! I finally gotta (test) cubemod to show in Misfit first (no texture) then I viewed it in Npherno,the mod looked Good!

good, the blender exporter also has a checkbox to convert quads to triangles then, so you don't need to

Now back to texture part,
How does the line,, "Model/s.jpg" work!?

it doesn't, not need 4u

Are you supposed to add anything to that line like for example, the name of the jpg file or the name of the jpg file and where it's located at?

nope, it's old outdated shit from in quake, md3 is originally a quake format, ID software, they use those path names, EDuke32 doesn't

And in creating this jpg file I have a question about this as well,
In Blender 2.62 you have 2 options
1. You can create and export a UV Map
2. You can create and export a md3 mod

1. You can create and export a UV Map<--- it'll show you where your skin goes for making a texture

2. You can create and export a md3 mod <--- no one else calls models mod

BUT...
Why would you even bother exporting a UV map if after creating it in blender the "custom properties"

you don't need to set custom properties with the newer exporters

Python Script File is going to do both for you anyhow? Isn't it!?
What I mean is,
Because I'm assuming by pressing the "export as md3" tab within Blender, 2 files would be created for you anyhow!? The file(s) would be the md3 file and the second would be the jpg file!? Right???
Is this how this works?

no, export md3 gives you just a md3, in the UV/image editor window you could simple save the image to a file, you don't export images per say

Now why would I assume that?

because you're new to this and it's confusing terms

User is offline   Kyanos 

Why would you export a UV Map of the mod THEN go back and under custom properties where it reads,
"Model/s.jpg" export an md3!?
Why even include. jpg if there isn't even any more information on where it's address is!?

all of this is just not needed. Why do it? I would answer just don't do that stuff.

Also,when you export the mod after you have the settings in custom properties,"md3shader" "Model/s.jpg" While exporting in "objectmode" SHOULD the mod already be Textured to where you can see it textured on screen I'm saying or should it be in wireframe mode or it doesn't matter?

you don't need the custom property, or the path to the skin "Model/s.jpg" you don't need to be in object mode even, nor do you need to be viewing the model in texture mode, wireframe or rendered or solid all will be ok.

This is just a liiiiittle bit confusing for me because if you're not supposed to add a path to,
"Model/s.jpg" then how come it reads this in Npheno on the second line!?"

Npherno gui:

line 2 "Model/s.jpg"

that's for other games, we EDuke32 modders don't use that, we use different code in the .def file.

You mean to tell me you can't even view the texture on the mod within Misfit until you first define the texture codeline within the
props.def file!?
Now you know that almost doesn't even make any sense but you know maybe that is how it works!?

why do you need to see the model in misfit? Blender has a working md3 importer, and your end goal is to see it in Duke, so why get another complex program involved?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Misfit is abandonware. You should only be using it as a file converter, if that.

User is offline   Mark 

BLASPHEMY......

User is offline   Spiker 

Blender is not that hard to use after all. You don't need to know or use all the tools and options but when they become necessary for your project they're already there for you. Never used Misfit myself but I think it's just simplified version of a typical 3d app.

• Polymancer

Misfit is great as an MD3 viewer and file converter - but that is about it. I have no idea how Mark makes stuff with it. Once you start trying to make anything even mildly complicated, Misfit is going to hit it's ceiling really fast. Apart from all that, the author has bailed on it, so it will never evolve or gain features.

If you really can't stand Blender, then you can get a student copy of Max or Maya. Blender is free though, it's very capable (if slightly weird here and there) and can do a lot more than just make table models.

User is offline   Mark 

I would be more than happy to plunk down 50-75 USD for Blender Lite. But thats never going to happen. Until then, its Misfit for me. I can make props, static or animated, create and animate skeletons for character models. Make uv maps. But we've had this discussion many times already. :)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

50-75 USD for Blender Lite.

blender is free and open source like EDuke32

http://www.blender.org

User is offline   Mark 

I know. My Lite version refers to a less cluttered, less featured, cut down, easy to learn version which I would be happy to pay for.

User is offline   Kyanos 

less cluttered, less featured, cut down, easy to learn version

Blender has it's own logic bricks game engine, it's a still renderer and animation tool, it's much more than you'll ever need and never going to be less.

Easy to learn? It's as simple as reading tuts or because ''current year'' watching a few you tube videos. What I mean is just start with small beginner steps and get used to it, it's not going to be any more challenging than any other modelling program. Just don't dive straight into reflections or inverse kinematics.

User is offline   Mark 

I tried a few times after watching tuts but gave up in disgust. If it were my first exposure to modelling it might have turned out differently. But after running Misfit for a couple of years I keep comparing to Blender and Blender just seemed to make doing even simple things more difficult. Even minor things like mouse control over your object were tough to get used to compared to Misfit. Its kind of like turning on mouse look "invert" after years of running Eduke without it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 24 November 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

I tried a few times after watching tuts but gave up in disgust. If it were my first exposure to modelling it might have turned out differently. But after running Misfit for a couple of years I keep comparing to Blender and Blender just seemed to make doing even simple things more difficult. Even minor things like mouse control over your object were tough to get used to compared to Misfit. Its kind of like turning on mouse look "invert" after years of running Eduke without it.

I can't resist
Blender set-up for Misfit users Posted Image
Posted Image
I'll gladly take $25 for the setup file Posted Image

as for the mouse etc.
I did start with them
http://www.katsbits....ir-medieval.php
Very detailed written explanation on how to get started ...

Misfits works for you, thus it works for you. I learned my lesson with True Space, super program for it's time, but it too is no longer. The moment a software is not maintained, it's time to move on.

Well I finally got the model to show up in eduke32 textured,

I'd like to point out to newbs a few different things though, not only how I managed to do this but also what not to*assume when trying to do this and some*practical shortcuts not only to save time but to make doing this process just a lil bit easier,

Firstly, I had no problem at all exporting the model that wasn't the issue, the problem was exporting a UV Mesh for the model.

Everytime I exported the UV Mesh I noticed the mesh had a glazed over look to it this was particularly apparent when coloring and exporting the mesh in Paintshop Pro 7 And another interesting thing that was happening is that I noticed in eduke32 after I assigned this jpg to the code in props def was,Yes the model was visible ingame BUT the colors where lighter and the entire model was Transparent!?

This kept on doing this until I decided to take a look at the files properties and i noticed compared to earlier png files I used for other models this new file was made up of ALOT of kilobytes and also Alpha was also applied but not on the earlier png's. So basically all I ended up doing was to open up PSP bring up the glazed UV Map (Multicube) then create a new png file, place it next to the unwrapped glazed cube uv map,turn the grid on and start copying,finishing coloring and saving as a simple jpg and then after adding this new file it worked not only in Testmap but in game as well!

Well of course it didn't work right away until I next went to the Npherno Compiler,

This was where my Main problem came in,

*Newbs with this day and age of computers doing over half of the work for you, for example, spell checkers,Don't expect Npherno is going to know what your talking about unless you input EXACTLY what needs to be imput within the gui,for example for my model it would be:

3720_Multicube.md3

then in the box below the texture file to be linked with this model...

D:/highres/sprites/props/3720_Multicube.Png

...btw what I mean by "Multicube" it's a UV Mapped cube with different colors for each side,this is the UV Map I had the problem with linked ingame like I previously mentioned not only was the cube lightly colored it was Transparent and the only thing I could think of doing at the time was to press the (T key) in Mapster but that didn't work.As far as (Cubetest) the first UV Map I made,this was easy because ALL sides had the same texture applied and it was just a simple wood jpg.

Anyhow after checking the box and pressing the ALL button up top all I had left to do with Npherno was to go to the bottom of this gui and set (One More Thing!)

*PAY REAL ATTENTION TO THIS! and I truly believe that if I'd done this in the beginning without *Assuming Npherno was going to know what I was trying to do I would of had this model textured and working ingame waaaaay much sooner then it actually took me to figure this out.

So all I did was to make sure at the bottom of the Npherno gui it reads:

frame_1

I had it set to frame1 because I *Assumed Npherno would still compile everything NOPE! it has to read:

frame_1

or...IT WILL NOT WORK!

After that ordeal I decided to go to Misfit Model 3D and upon viewing this model everything looked Good! NO PROBLEMS,No Transparency the model was solid,No Light Colors,the colors where Bright and Vivid EXCEPT how the map was placed on the cube model,being this wasn't a true UV Map for reasons explained earlier this would probably explain this issue,

So this is where I used one of my favorite Misfit tools to correct this it's called,

"Edit Texture Coordinates"

and what this allowed me to do was to align the corners of the UV Map (A freehand jpg copy of the actual uv map) and also "Zoom Out" like I did for the Cubetest.jpg in order to get the wood texture to look as though it matched the size of the model in proportion so that it looked correct.

*So that is basically how this was done just make sure you have with you these 3 programs,

Blender 2.62 (with Xembie export script)
Npherno
Misfit Model 3D

...Also if you want you could place a blank text file on your desktop so you can copy and paste the jpg definitions from the model code in the props def file then when it comes time to imput it if you don't feel like scratching your head and writing like me all you'll have to do is copy it again from your desktop text file then imput it in Npherno.

Btw: If anybody knows what was going on with that UV Map not exporting correctly in Blender earlier like I explained could you give me the Settings fix on that if there is one?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 30 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

the problem was exporting a UV Mesh for the model.

you are hard to communicate with...

I would of

I would of two. If I could of, that is, I think I should of.

View PostDrek, on 30 November 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

you are hard to communicate with...

I would of two. If I could of, that is, I think I should of.

What's with all of this nonsense trash talk!?

Are you a Troll Poser?

User is offline   Kyanos 

So you finally acknowledged me, now that we are communicating answer a few questions so I can help you.

Why do you use old blender instead of a new up to date blender?

Why do you use xembies script to export md3s instead of newer up to date and easier to use exporters?

Why do you use Misfit 3D at all?

Are you a Troll Poser?

nah, I'm a grammar modification officer ;^)

View PostDrek, on 01 December 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

So you finally acknowledged me, now that we are communicating answer a few questions so I can help you.

Why do you use old blender instead of a new up to date blender?

Why do you use xembies script to export md3s instead of newer up to date and easier to use exporters?

Why do you use Misfit 3D at all?

You are asking some good questions here that I'll gladly answer,

I still do not have an internet connection to my Dell Dimension, If you have an internet connection to your PC it makes downloading programs and uploading screenshots a whole heck of a lot easier like I did a few yrs back but in my case if you don't because you're not living back with your relatives and they're paying all your bills for you, this little thing called money and how much or little makes a whole lotta difference in how you manage your situation.Now being lack of fund's is the case with me for the time being I tend to compensate by using devices like smartphones to communicate and flashdrives to down and upload programs at the local library whenever I get a chance to get over there.

And really when you think about it, what's that expression,"If It Works Don't Mess With It!" What I mean by that is,last week I went to the library and put the NEW Gimp on my flashdrive, I uploaded it on the Dell and guess what the answer was? Right! I couldn't use the New Gimp until I uploaded MORE New programs like Windows 8.

So in the end instead of getting projects accomplished it's...

More New programs! More Wasting Time! And More Money!

I think my reply covers the second question too,As far as Misfit Model 3D goes I like it and as I said earlier what's that expression again???

"If It Gets The Job Done,Don't Mess With It!"

Btw, Trash Talking others on here Isn't any different then downvoting a fellow members post,it's stupid and immature, I've spoken once before on another post about this nonsense but over time unfortunately many forget valuable lessons it seems.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Hmmm, I just grabbed the newest GIMP it runs on WIN 7, are you on XP still??

The newest Blender will run too.

"If It Gets The Job Done,Don't Mess With It!"

^ you say this about Misfit Model 3D

What job is it doing? Do you actually model in it?

Seriously, I don't get it. What purpose are you using Misfit for?

Btw, Trash Talking others on here Isn't any different then downvoting a fellow members post,it's stupid and immature, I've spoken once before on another post about this nonsense but over time unfortunately many forget valuable lessons it seems.

obviously we have a very different sense of humor... no more fun ;^)

This post has been edited by Drek: 01 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

• Polymancer

These people are trying to help you Nukester. Show some respect. If they were dissing you, they wouldn't take the time to try to show you how to do this stuff.

Misfit DOSEN'T get the job done - it's like trying to carve a canoe with a spoon.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Ahem....

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostMark., on 01 December 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Ahem....
Once you switch you will never go back again, trust me! It's worth it even if it seems like an uphill battle at first. People who leave their comfort zone the most are the people who will become the most successful.

User is offline   Mark 

I agree. I watch the tuts and see what Blender is capable of. After drooling with delight I then try to do the simplest of things, get discouraged and fall back to the program I know. I simply don't have the patience for it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options