Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32/Mapster32 won´t start on Windows 8.1 anymore - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32/Mapster32 won´t start on Windows 8.1 anymore

User is offline   blizzart 

HELP ME, PLEASE!!!

I have something strange here on my Win8.1 notebook for some days now. Whenever I create a new folder with EDuke/Mapster in it and try to start it - nothing happens. Windows keeps on loading for ages, but both programs don´t start - even not the EDuke-start menu. EDuke or Mapster don´t appear in the Task Manager, too.

With new EDuke versions (or better said versions I open for the first time) Windows 8.1 normally tells me, that it doesn´t want to open it until I explicit tell it to do so. After that Avast starts to scan the file for some seconds and then the start menu appears.

The funny thing is, EDuke and Mapster .exes I´ve opened once and gone through the above mentioned procedure, still open and run without problems.

I´m sure, the problem is on my side, but I don´t have any idea where to look at to get the files started. I´ve rebooted of course many times and graphics driver are up-to-date.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 19 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

View Postblizzart, on 19 November 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

HELP ME, PLEASE!!!

I have something strange here on my Win8.1 notebook for some days now. Whenever I create a new folder with EDuke/Mapster in it and try to start it - nothing happens. Windows keeps on loading for ages, but both programs don´t start - even not the EDuke-start menu. EDuke or Mapster don´t appear in the Task Manager, too.

With new EDuke versions (or better said versions I open for the first time) Windows 8.1 normally tells me, that it doesn´t want to open it until I explicit tell it to do so. After that Avast starts to scan the file for some seconds and then the start menu appears.

The funny thing is, EDuke and Mapster .exes I´ve opened once and gone through the above mentioned procedure, still open and run without problems.

I´m sure, the problem is on my side, but I don´t have any idea where to look at to get the files started. I´ve rebooted of course many times and graphics driver are up-to-date.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Can you run the new versions as administrator ?

I wonder if its some security update ? - I know that a method used to block the Cryptowall scumware involves blocking of exe's in a variety of directories for example. Are you running eduke/mapster from a subdir in 'program files', if not then give it a whirl.

All guesswork I'm afraid :)

TTFN,
Jon

View PostThe Mechanic, on 19 November 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Can you run the new versions as administrator ?

I wonder if its some security update ? - I know that a method used to block the Cryptowall scumware involves blocking of exe's in a variety of directories for example. Are you running eduke/mapster from a subdir in 'program files', if not then give it a whirl.

All guesswork I'm afraid :)

TTFN,
Jon

Neither that works. I don´t get any message or warning, just that Win8.1 loading icon spinning round and round and round...

Also strange:
When I try to move or delete the folder of the exes Windows tells me that I can´t because a file in there is still in use.

User is online   Mark 

I ran Avast for a couple of months until I got fed up with it having it's fingers everywhere and bogging some things down. Turn off Avast and see if issues disappear or not. And when you are having problems go to Task Manager and click on Processes and see if Eduke or Mapster are still running in the backround. You can choose to stop them running from there and then be able to do whatever file moving or deleting you want.

View PostMark., on 19 November 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

I ran Avast for a couple of months until I got fed up with it having it's fingers everywhere and bogging some things down. Turn off Avast and see if issues disappear or not. And when you are having problems go to Task Manager and click on Processes and see if Eduke or Mapster are still running in the backround. You can choose to stop them running from there and then be able to do whatever file moving or deleting you want.

God bless you, Mark.
It was indeed Avast. I deactivated it and coulld finally play.

Thanks a lot!

User is online   Mark 

your welcome

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hmm... so, Avast screws up current versions of EDuke32? That's good information to know.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options