Duke4.net Forums: Daily reminder that I suck ass! - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Daily reminder that I suck ass!

User is offline   Nevander 

Well I tried adaptive and it helps but I can still see some of it going on. It's much less noticeable but still enough to bother me. Dynamic lights and shadows have no effect. Another problem though is I get some weird screen bugs with adaptive. Parts of the screen flicker in and out for some reason.

I can't stand stuttering games, and it seems all of my games want to do it. Been a while since I updated my drivers so that might be one problem too.

View PostNevander, on 18 November 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Well I tried adaptive and it helps but I can still see some of it going on. It's much less noticeable but still enough to bother me. Dynamic lights and shadows have no effect. Another problem though is I get some weird screen bugs with adaptive. Parts of the screen flicker in and out for some reason.

I can't stand stuttering games, and it seems all of my games want to do it. Been a while since I updated my drivers so that might be one problem too.

You need to update your drivers.

So a potential fix for the vsync issues is to enable adaptive vsync which can be done by setting the vsync cvar to -1 or -2 depending on whether you want the game to run at 60hz or 30hz. When I get home, I'll talk to Richard and Evan about getting a option in the main menu to toggle adaptive vsync.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNevander, on 18 November 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

So with one setting tweak we've gone from "polymer is a piece of shit blah blah blah" to "it's much better now and actually all my other games stutter too and I haven't updated my drivers either"

I have to admit, some good did come of this thread, but, was it really necessary to start it that way?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I guess so, how else a "problem with my driver" thread would have so much attention?

This post has been edited by Fox: 18 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 November 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

So with one setting tweak we've gone from "polymer is a piece of shit blah blah blah" to "it's much better now and actually all my other games stutter too and I haven't updated my drivers either"

I have to admit, some good did come of this thread, but, was it really necessary to start it that way?

PC users never update there drivers. People like to bash things they don't have any technical knowledge about. This isn't the first time its happened, and it won't be the last. It could be honestly, standard vsync bothers him. He can't figure out the difference between it being a engine problem and a driver/GPU problem. Unless you know what's going on, it's hard to figure it out. Not excusing his unfounded rage, but this shit will happen time, and time again :).

What's ironic is that the ability to toggle adaptive v-sync has been in there the whole time. It was missed, because adaptive vsync is a under documented feature. We can test for "EXT_swap_control_tear" and probably force adaptive vsync. I don't know how Richard and Evan will want to handle it. I would argue if it's available, eduke32 should use it by default; to avoid people complaining over vsync issues. That mixed with moving the input code over to a job, should put this issue to rest.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I didn't want to mention that it was already in the menu because I'm not running the latest version and I didn't know if things had changed with that or not.

In our defense of not always running the latest drivers, in this day of push stuff out the door and fix later we have gotten used to waiting a while for the "stability reports" or performance reviews to be posted on the web. The latest is not always the greatest.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 16 November 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

There are people no less than three people who have programmed new DirectX renders for Deus Ex in their spare time, and we can't get one for fucking Duke Nukem? Polymer is shit and needs to die. No wonder everyone mods Doom.

That's because AFAIK GZDoom doesn't do even half of what Polymer does. The ports with real graphics development behind them (Doomsday and derivatives) are long stalled due to lack of interest since the Doom community is conservative and doesn't care about bling bling beyond glowing fireballs and missile smoke trails.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, I'm not well versed in what goes on in the Doom community but I don't recall ever seeing a realistic city map or something like my Graveyard mod or many of the other TC's we have with tons of custom content and coding. My Eduke32 and Polymer flags are in the laundry basket, otherwise I would be waving them right now. :)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMark., on 18 November 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm not well versed in what goes on in the Doom community but I don't recall ever seeing a realistic city map or something like my Graveyard mod or many of the other TC's we have with tons of custom content and coding. My Eduke32 and Polymer flags are in the laundry basket, otherwise I would be waving them right now. :)

https://www.doomworl...-planisphere-2/

Somebody made the entirity of New York in a Doom map. We can't really compete with the Doom community in many ways as there's more people and they get several 10/10 megawads a year whereas we're lucky to get a few releases. That's not really an issue though because the community has kinda dropped down to the guys who are Dukers for life now instead of mostly younger people just passing the time till they quit puberty and High school. Our output is extremely slow but almost all of it is high quality :)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 18 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostJblade, on 18 November 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

https://www.doomworl...-planisphere-2/

Somebody made the entirity of New York in a Doom map. We can't really compete with the Doom community in many ways as there's more people and they get several 10/10 megawads a year whereas we're lucky to get a few releases. That's not really an issue though because the community has kinda dropped down to the guys who are Dukers for life now instead of mostly younger people just passing the time till they quit puberty and High school. Our output is extremely slow but almost all of it is high quality :)

That is a cool map.

As I said in my previous post, Polymer is not optimized at all for speed. Comparing X with Polymer is pointless. You can throw the same amount of content at both engines and polymer will fail. :) Hopefully with some of these fixes that will change.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posticecoldduke, on 18 November 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

What's ironic is that the ability to toggle adaptive v-sync has been in there the whole time. It was missed, because adaptive vsync is a under documented feature.
Off the top of my head I couldn't name any feature which is not under documented.... :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNevander, on 16 November 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

When I run my game with the HRP, I use the Polymost Override and the old guns because I think it looks much better and a lot less lag.
When running the Polymost HRP, either by command line option or Override Pack, you shouldn't need the oldguns package.

Terminx says adaptive vsync is already toggle able in the main menu.

User is offline   Lunick 

Daily reminder that I suck ass!

Who did it? :) :) :P :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There is a deep-seated anti-HRP sentiment in the community, and that seems to have coupled with the Polymer isssues into a dislike of anything that dosen't conform to the original render style. Out of the whole community, I think there are only 3 or 4 who still use Polymer. I've been out of the loop for a while, but I think it's only Roma Loom and Spiker who still make content for the HRP. We used to have a thriving modelling community - it's pretty much all either disappeared or dropped off the radar.

There is an active Doom modelling community. It's not just the old stuff any more either. There are a number of people developing new content.. The new render engine for Doomsday is currently under active development.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on 18 November 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

There is a deep-seated anti-HRP sentiment in the community, and that seems to have coupled with the Polymer isssues into a dislike of anything that dosen't conform to the original render style. Out of the whole community, I think there are only 3 or 4 who still use Polymer. I've been out of the loop for a while, but I think it's only Roma Loom and Spiker who still make content for the HRP. We used to have a thriving modelling community - it's pretty much all either disappeared or dropped off the radar.

There is an active Doom modelling community. It's not just the old stuff any more either. There are a number of people developing new content.. The new render engine for Doomsday is currently under active development.

For what it's worth, I've been using Polymer while developing Duke Forces. Why not? I want to see the lasers and shit cast light, it runs fine in the relatively simple old-school maps, and I know if the game works with Polymer then it will work with Polymost as well. I would guess that your estimate of "3 or 4" using Polymer is way off. Now, is Polymer going to run great in a scene with 50 stormtroopers firing their blasters in a huge hangar -- probably not.

User is offline   Jblade 

There is a deep-seated anti-HRP sentiment in the community, and that seems to have coupled with the Polymer isssues into a dislike of anything that dosen't conform to the original render style.

I mean this with respect, but it's not an 'anti-HRP' sentiment under any circumstances at all and it's silly to try and paint it like it's some kind of political position being taken. Most people just don't like the Duke HRP just like most people dislike the Doom HRP, I don't want to criticise it as I understand you may feel defensive of your work but understand that it's not some luddite retro desire to keep the game 8bit at ALL costs - it signficiantly alters the appearence of the game in a way that many of us just don't like.

You have got to understand that the HRP is a fan mod and wherether you like it is completely down to personel taste, and seeing posts like this claiming that people just dislike it because we want to conform to the 8bit render mode for purity reasons is just completely disrespectful. I understand that my stuff is not to most people's tastes here so I aim not to take it as a personel slight that only one or two of the regulers actually left feedback about it, I think you and the HRP/Polymer guys need to see it the same way and not make sometimes snide posts about some invisible prejudice against it.

I lurked at 3DR forum during the beginnings of the HRP. The community making stuff for the HRP back then was fantastic. I actually thought Duke would take different direction from Doom and focus on high resolution content. Sadly, this is no longer the case, and I suspect it's because, in the end, it was poorly received by what you call "anti-HRP" people.

The HRP isn't without its problems. It's difficult to have fluid animations as with the sprites, and model quality can be a little inconsistent. But it has come a LONG way. The current HUD models are almost 1:1 sprite style. The game does look fantastic with Polymer, but due to development direction it's hard to use.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 19 November 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

The HRP isn't without its problems. It's difficult to have fluid animations as with the sprites, and model quality can be a little inconsistent. But it has come a LONG way. The current HUD models are almost 1:1 sprite style. The game does look fantastic with Polymer, but due to development direction it's hard to use.

I would agree with that, we need to get more content guys that make HQ assets, maybe if skeletal animation and physics were implemented it might attract better talent.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Polymer is excellent for finding map errors. In some cases, it also creates new rendering errors that don't occur in classic or Polymost, but if it's about stuff like overlapping redwalls, improperly joined sectors or other crap, I have found Polymer to be a really reliable indicator for such glitches. What isn't done right just doesn't render at all or looks weird. This doesn't apply to everything like I said above since Polymer has problems with some tricks that work in other renderers, but I found it to be a good tool while checking the addon compilation entries for problems.

I am even using Polymer without HRP and dynamic lighting disabled (for visuals that feel more "classic"). Main reason: Skies render better (not flawless though in some rare cases) compared to Polymost.

Regarding HRP: What it would need would be an update for some really outdated models as they stick out now quite a bit with more sophisticated content added. Same goes for textures. Other than that, it's a neat showcase for EDuke32 and its capabilities and will always have its legitimation as such.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 November 2015 - 09:03 AM

User is offline   Mark 

And then there is the same old battle of "we need them to look like the originals" vs "we want to update them to more ( whatever ) style"

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Hey guys I just got to this thread and OH DEAR GOD WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED

User is online   zykov eddy 

A thread for people who suck ass? Count me in please.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 19 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Posticecoldduke, on 18 November 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

You realize that vsync is implemented on the driver side right? The app requests vsync to be enabled and then will stall during the page flip while the GPU waits for vblank. If your having problems with vsync its your setup not eduke32.

Maybe, and I never mean to say it's eduke32's problem at all...

But, Vsync on + r_maxfps did solve the weird problems on my end(and no any input delay problems), at least I only have minor tearing problem if I only use Vsync without fps limitation, and I never let my driver override my Vsync or some other settings at all, just let programs/apps handle them.

So I don't know what parts would going wrong, even I using latest driver.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPerson of Color, on 16 November 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Still can't get vsync to engage at all on my R9 290, either by using eDuke, Catalyst, or RadeonPro.

No one is going to take modding this shit seriously as long as it only works on one of the three vendors.

Someone fix this shit.

Someone hasn't been keeping up on their sounding lately.

View PostPlagman, on 17 November 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

eat shit

I would like to see Brownfarted make Dookiemer and Dookiemost! Posted Image

Now if someone adds the Kappa to Duke4.net forum's Emoticons. That would be great.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 20 November 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Now if someone adds the Kappa to Duke4.net forum's Emoticons. That would be great.

Posted Image

View PostDustFalcon85, on 20 November 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

I would like to see Brownfarted make Dookiemer and Dookiemost! Posted Image

Good thing you've mentioned him because in appropriate Brownfarted fashion this thread went to shit pretty fast. :)

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 20 November 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

Good thing you've mentioned him because in appropriate Brownfarted fashion this thread went to shit pretty fast. :)

Because the first post was shit.

User is offline   Nevander 

View Posticecoldduke, on 18 November 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Terminx says adaptive vsync is already toggle able in the main menu.

Yes, but I believe it only toggles to the 60Hz adaptive and not 30Hz also.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options