Duke4.net Forums: Halo - most overrated game series ever?! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Halo - most overrated game series ever?!

User is offline   Sanek 

Am I the only one there who's thinking that Halo series is the most overrated thing in gaming EVER?! I've played Halo: Combat Evolved last week for the first time and I just can't imagine how this mess of a game can be popular and have about 4 sequels by now.
The level design is atrocious. I like the outdoor areas, but indoor ones looks extremely poor and repetitive, and I mean it, because almost every level looks the same! Completely amateurish for AAA-type of product, even by 2001 standarts. So, if you completed one level or two, you're can be sure that you saw them all.
The second big problem is combat. While the game have a tittle "Combat Evolved", there's actually nothing "evolved" about Halo's combat, except maybe for the regen system. What I also mean is that I can't even image a game where the battles will be so repetitive, and seem to last forever. Also i hate the aim design.
And finally, this game seems just to be so popular now because of a split-screen, and also because that's all what the console gamers had back in the days.

P.S. While many people don't like Unreall II, which have similar vibe with Halo, I found it a lot more polished and enjoyable. Maybe because I've played it when it was released.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I disagree but only somewhat because I also agree with some points and some of the Halo games are bad imo I hated Halo 4 for example the mp was okay but the sp sucked. But you got to play the earlier Halo games (1 and 2) those are better and there is a game that came out around the same time frame called Brute Force and that game was pretty bad ass to(sorry memories of Halo 1 blend with memories of Brute Force). I'm not a big fan but Halo is better then COD and a lot of the modern releases. Ever tried playing the Custom Edition before? Its quite nifty :)

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 13 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

I agree with everything. I had the patience to finish the whole game around 2 months ago, and to be honest, if it wasn't for the improved visuals on Xbone and I wanting to justify my money lost on the console (I bought it for only one game but Halo MCC was in the pack) I probably wouldn't have got to the middle of the game before quitting. Everybody always drool over this game and it's boring as fuck, and to make things worse I didn't even enjoy the backstory (BTW it's not explained in-game and I had to look it up on the internet). BOOOOORRRING. (And I'm a fan of sci-fi and science fantasy).

The leves are literally (in the original meaning of the word, which is not figuratively) copy pasted. The first half of the game is around 5 different rooms copy pasted all over the levels and the second half is simply going back the same levels in a different order!!!
There where a few open areas, and those were not reused, which is nice at least. :)
I'm not feeling like playing the other games in the serie, even though I still have Halo 2, 3 and 4 in the collection.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The other games are considerably different than the first, especially with level design. At least there's no copy-paste happening. Bungie took that criticism to heart, because trust me... even Halo Fans hated the repetition of the first game. The biggest reason why Halo 1's levels were repetitive like that, is because Halo 1 was originally not even going to be a FPS until late in development, and most of the time was spent changing the game rather than designing the levels. They went for the quick fix unfortunately.

Later games had better level design, enemy AI, and game mechanics, they also had a better story and several likable characters for the player to get attached to. Halo 3 had the best campaign in my honest opinion, playing it in Co-Op is fun as hell. As for best Multiplayer? Hard for me to decide, I liked H1's multiplayer on certain maps like Rat Race, Battle Creek, Chill Out, and Hang-Em-High, but I'm torn between Halo 3, Reach, and 4. But definitely, if you specifically hated the campaign of Halo 1, Halo 3 is like night and day... it is much better.

By the way, if you're playing Halo 1 in the MCC, you'll be able to find terminals around the map that explain the Story, especially the stuff happening behind the scenes before the game occurs. No need to look it all up online, but you need to go off the beaten path. Though, youtube is also an option.

Spoiler

Do I think Halo 1 is overrated? Perhaps, it is flawed in several ways. But overrated as a as a series? Nah, sometimes I feel like it takes a lot more shit than it deserves for the wrong reasons at times. Too much bandwagon effect going on. The later games were a lot of fun, had a great backstory (extending into novels, movies, shows), and the multiplayer has given me some of the greatest memories with my friends. (Used to have Halo 3 LAN parties with my friends, we'd often play 4 player COOP, or have up to 8 of us on a team in online matches a lot of shenanigans were had).

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 13 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Anything that's at the top of the popularity chain is "overrated".

But in his case I agree it's overrated. I hate the game. I hate the original. People loved it most for the multiplayer, they told me. I dislike multiplayer for the most part.

But I do believe COD is actually the most overrated game ever.

• Auramancer

Updated my last post.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

StrikerMan780, on 13 November 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

Updated my last post.

Is there a need to say that you updated it? What was the point of saying you updated it when you could of just added in a new post since you made one anyway not to sound like a total dickbag like some ppl are.

Anyway, I almost gave it a upvote but i'm just not cool enough. But I agree Halo isn't that bad of a game especially when compared to some other modern crap out there. One place where regen health makes any sense was Halo. It's not there fault other people used it in ways that don't make any sense at all. I am no fannie boy but really all in all Halo is not even close to being the worst or even one of the worst imo.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Decent game. Not worth the excessive praise it's received in comparison to games that came before (and even after).

But perhaps the jaded person in me believes that no FPS will ever live up to the glory of DooM, with the exception of Duke Nukem 3D.

This post has been edited by Spastic Lagomorph: 13 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'm not a fan of the series in general, played the first on PC and found it dull, didn't finish it, But a couple years ago I picked up Halo 3 in the bargain bin, and found it's actually a really good game. Just a good fun FPS campaign, I actually wouldn't rank it too much lower than a classic like Half-Life 2 to be honest, which is surprising.

However, I tried Halo 4 and it sucked, so I think Halo 3 is pretty much my positive experience with Halo. And I have a PS4 not a XBone at the moment etc. But I'll say just based on how good Halo 3 is, I can think of a few more overrated series, even if I'm not a Halo fan in general. For example Call of Duty would be more overrated, not a single one of the campaigns is even "good" in my book. A couple are mildly amusing I guess.

User is offline   Lunick 

I really enjoy the first one but when I played Halo 3... I couldn't believe how crap it was, especially playing with a controller.

User is offline   Sanek 

PsychoGoatee, on 13 November 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of the series in general, played the first on PC and found it dull, didn't finish it

I played PC-version only, and unfortunately I can't even play Halo 3 and the new tittles because there's no consoles in my house (except Wii U). Damn, I hate console exclusives.

PsychoGoatee, on 13 November 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

For example Call of Duty would be more overrated, not a single one of the campaigns is even "good" in my book.

But at least you can understand why it's popular. For average person, who don't play games much, COD game may be a good product. And to be honest, I think that COD4: Modern Warfare was a good game. I still play in multiplayer from time to time.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 13 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

• Auramancer

Sixty Four, on 13 November 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Is there a need to say that you updated it? What was the point of saying you updated it when you could of just added in a new post since you made one anyway not to sound like a total dickbag like some ppl are.

Anyway, I almost gave it a upvote but i'm just not cool enough. But I agree Halo isn't that bad of a game especially when compared to some other modern crap out there. One place where regen health makes any sense was Halo. It's not there fault other people used it in ways that don't make any sense at all. I am no fannie boy but really all in all Halo is not even close to being the worst or even one of the worst imo.

There is a point, because when the post is updated with relevant and new information that is part of what was already said, and it doesn't warrant a new post... people need to know, because A. The forum doesn't notify people of post edits, also, people who have read the old post might want to re-read it.

User is offline   Komenja 

Pretty much everything StrikerMan said. Couch Co-op makes up for most of the flaws of the single player experience in all the games, and the multiplayer alone was reason enough to get Xbox Live, even if you just used it for one game. I have a lot of fond memoriesplaying all the games on the couch with friends (we still pop in Halo 3 or Reach once in a blue moon). Four player custom games is the shit.

Except 4. 4 blows. 343 Industries have no idea what good game design is and just mimicked Call of Duty, right down to perks, kill streaks, instant re-spawn and no semblance of weapon balance. The campaign had no redeeming qualities outside of further developing Chief and Cortana as characters, and there was like ten minutes of that.

5 doesn't even have split screen. Can you spell 'Fucked'?

• Auramancer

Like the terminal videos I linked before, these are the ones for Halo 2. They provide some great insight into the backstory. I love the presentation.

Though, one of the biggest reasons why some people find it so difficult to get into the story, is that it's one of those stories where things aren't entirely presented up-front, it's one of those stories where you have to intentionally pry deeper, to see how far that rabbit-hole goes... and it goes pretty fucking deep, not unlike the Marathon games that came before. Halo 3 was the first game in the series that came up with the idea of the terminals, and in that game, they were identical to Marathon in that they were well-hidden, were text-only, and revealed a ton of information about the backstory (some of the terminal messages were creepy as hell too). Then, in Halo 4, they became video, and then new terminals were retroactively added to Halo 1 and 2 for MCC.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 November 2015 - 04:52 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

No, I don't think Halo is the most overrated, because I can see why people enjoy it so much and the music is quite awesome. Overrated, sure, but not the most.

Counter Strike is the most overrated.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I think halo 1 was a little overrated but I greatly enjoyed Halo 2 and 3's campaign. Even though they were short they had good variety.

Halo 2 literally had a level where the entire place was in freefall and I've yet to see a game do it as well. I don't think halo deserves as much shit as people give it. It's one of the few modern series that stayed relatively arena-like in its combat. Slower paced yeah, and it has health regen and limited weapons, but especially in MP it plays more like a slower Quake than anything else.

• Auramancer

^ Aye, and Halo has also managed to keep non-linearity, unlike COD, and sometimes to a greater degree than Duke3D, if you count levels like "The Silent Cartographer" in Halo 1, or "The Covenant" in Halo 3, where you can visit all areas at all times, exploring a huge map, and even going off the beaten path where there's secrets and alternate routes.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options