Duke4.net Forums: Alternate URL - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 7 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Alternate URL  "Use this alternate URL to access RTCM for now"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#31

View PostRobert Stever, on 14 May 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

Interesting...

Way to deceitfully promote your own hosting services.

Compare:
https://archive.is/HQXV8 vs https://archive.is/GcQMJ
https://archive.is/JDyTa vs https://archive.is/di3xF

View PostRobman, on 14 May 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Are you fucking retarded thinking that mirroring files will preserve them? Because that still leaves just 1 physical copy.

Posted Image

View PostRobman, on 14 May 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

The dictionary doesn't contain words they "own" but they do charge money for putting them in one place with descriptions.. GET IT?

We are not mirroring the descriptions or site design--stuff Corvin actually owns. Wayback Machine has that stuff.
0

User is offline   Hank 

  • 1,053

#32

View PostCorvin, on 14 May 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Hank, I didn't give him permission to provide a mirror. I re hosted like any person would do, and I deleted the site. TerminX deleted my redirect to my new host within an hour and told me hes going to re-post my files without permission. He also changed my login. So without access I have grounds to move ahead now.

He even used one of my old legal docs in the download directory., eh.

I wrote 'like a mirror'
Sorry my friend, while I also would change hosts if some numb scull changed my front page, I still believe most of the files in question can be hosted at duke4.
The exception would be if the originator of a given file states that duke4 shall not host them.
Unfortunately, I can't invite you for a beer and steak tonight, just relax and move forward. Posted Image




The things I don't know could fill libraries.
0

User is offline   Robman 

  • 686

#33

Yes.. for a moment I forgot that mirroring is more than just a link.. Picard forehead grab is applicable.

Anyway, whatever guys. He took time out of his life to dig up all those files. Time that you shouldn't be allowed to exploit.
0

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,654

  #34

Corvin is upset because he has a longstanding grudge against me. He's a tool who tries to claim ownership of things others created and has fits when he doesn't get his way. That's why he claims these are "his" files, even though it's all stuff he downloaded from the public Internet. Sorting files into directories does not constitute creating a copyrightable work. The hard part of creating RTCM was writing descriptions of everything, which are not part of what I'm mirroring.

Way back in the day, the original DOS Mapster I created was hosted on RTCM. He tried to claim ownership of that, too, just because it was hosted there. Later, in 2004, he even tried to say I couldn't call my new project "EDuke32" because he had a fork of the DOS EDuke 2.1 hosted there and claimed that meant he owned it and the name.

The guy is nuts. It is what it is.

EDuke32 ? wiki ? svn builds ? bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
1

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#35

All file hotlinks contained on dukertcm.com will point to our mirror to ensure nothing 404s as Corvin continues to work (or not) on RTCM. We will redirect the dukertcm.com root to the new site shortly, in line with the same goal.

I will also write a description for the top of http://dukeworld.duke4.net/rtcm/.
1

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,223

#36

That's a bit clearer.

If you're mirroring/backing-up files that were in the public access anyway, but not the site itself, then I can't really see that much of a problem. Sure, compiling and sorting them was probably a hard work, but it doesn't mean it can't be copied. And it's good, because preservation is way more important. So it's just personal, I see.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Robman 

  • 686

#37

Hehe, you think everybody is nuts :)

Just find a good solution and work with him, RTCM would have taken alot of work to build up and maintain.
0

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#38

View PostHendricks266, on 14 May 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

Way to deceitfully promote your own hosting services.

Compare:
https://archive.is/HQXV8 vs https://archive.is/GcQMJ
https://archive.is/JDyTa vs https://archive.is/di3xF


Posted Image


We are not mirroring the descriptions or site design--stuff Corvin actually owns. Wayback Machine has that stuff.


Slow clap.
You're the only one promoting anything. If I decide to host anyone else's content I will make that decision myself.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

0

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#39

View PostKathy, on 14 May 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

That's a bit clearer.

If you're mirroring/backing-up files that were in the public access anyway, but not the site itself, then I can't really see that much of a problem. Sure, compiling and sorting them was probably a hard work, but it doesn't mean it can't be copied. And it's good, because preservation is way more important. So it's just personal, I see.

That's how I view it. I contacted corvin when I read his post. I really don't care that much about the peacocking and politics here. I'm just a huge Duke fan. I don't publicly advertise anything. My services are free to corvin and corvin only. I do more than website hosting, I'm in the VM datacenter business. However seeing as how terminx is planning on keeping his copy of rtcm, I'll keep my copy of dukeworld archive.
However the rgstever domain is my personal one. The stever.tech is my main page.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 1,913

#40

View PostCorvin, on 14 May 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

EDIT: I posted some news about a friend getting banned from steam and duke4 forums without posting any names (at first). Then you deleted my news posting the next day without even a glimmer of a responsible informative e-mail sent to me. So I posted the news again with names, and you removed it again, making that twice without contacting me. So tampering with my site just because the host can do it, doesn't make it right.



View PostTerminX, on 14 May 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

Corvin is upset because he has a longstanding grudge against me. He's a tool who tries to claim ownership of things others created and has fits when he doesn't get his way. That's why he claims these are "his" files, even though it's all stuff he downloaded from the public Internet. Sorting files into directories does not constitute creating a copyrightable work. The hard part of creating RTCM was writing descriptions of everything, which are not part of what I'm mirroring.

Way back in the day, the original DOS Mapster I created was hosted on RTCM. He tried to claim ownership of that, too, just because it was hosted there. Later, in 2004, he even tried to say I couldn't call my new project "EDuke32" because he had a fork of the DOS EDuke 2.1 hosted there and claimed that meant he owned it and the name.


It's hard to be nice to people when they haven't been nice to you. It's obvious now that duke4.net was not a good choice of host for his site, given the history. I do think he has a valid beef when it comes to editing/deleting his content without so much as a warning (you haven't denied it so I'm inferring that it's true). That will be moot now with his site hosted elsewhere, though.
0

User is offline   Corvin 

  • King of the Lamers
  • 83

#41

I never claimed owner ship to that Mapster or said you can't name EDuke32, I asked usurper about the Mapster name and if anyone was going to continue to program it. and the eduke32 name, I just thought it was no good given that eduke v1.0 etc , I was questioning the 32 thats all. It sound like a version number back then. Your a dumb ass. Listen to second hand information all the time.

I'm taking my duke4 copy and making my own, bitch.

R.T.C.M.
www.r-t-c-m.com
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#42

View PostCorvin, on 14 May 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'm taking my duke4 copy and making my own, bitch.

Posted Image
0

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,654

  #43

View PostCorvin, on 14 May 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Your a dumb ass.


EDuke32 ? wiki ? svn builds ? bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
1

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#44

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 May 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

...I do think he has a valid beef when it comes to editing/deleting his content without so much as a warning (you haven't denied it so I'm inferring that it's true). That will be moot now with his site hosted elsewhere, though.

The majority seems to ignore this fact. I wouldn't like it if someone uninvited went to my house and started moving furniture.

Lets keep things civil, we are all adults here.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

0

User is offline   Hank 

  • 1,053

#45

View PostRobert Stever, on 14 May 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

The majority seems to ignore this fact. I wouldn't like it if someone uninvited went to my house and started moving furniture.

Hell will freeze over, before some here will admit that what they did was wrong. It's not so much ignoring it, rather there is not point shouting to deaf ears.




The things I don't know could fill libraries.
0

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,654

  #46

View PostRobert Stever, on 14 May 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

The majority seems to ignore this fact. I wouldn't like it if someone uninvited went to my house and started moving furniture.

It's more like staying in someone else's house, writing a nasty note about the home owner on behalf of another guest who was kicked out, and complaining when they find it and throw it away.

EDuke32 ? wiki ? svn builds ? bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
1

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,223

#47

Does it matter? That was the reason to move the site. Of course, it didn't improve things between tx and corvin, but it was done and became a sufficient reason to move rtcm.

2TX: But wouldn't it have been better if you at least informed Corvin about it?

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 14 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

0

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#48

View PostTerminX, on 14 May 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

It's more like staying in someone else's house, writing a nasty note about the home owner on behalf of another guest who was kicked out, and complaining when they find it and throw it away.

So you have no qualms with editing someone else's pages? I see a clear cut case of emotion over logic. If corvin writes distasteful things about me, I'll take it like a man and let him do it, it's his site. We've all been through worse than this supposedly.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

0

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,654

  #49

View PostKathy, on 14 May 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

2TX: But wouldn't it have been better if you at least informed Corvin about it?

I didn't get around to it before he threw a fit about it.

View PostRobert Stever, on 14 May 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

So you have no qualms with editing someone else's pages?

I don't have a problem with deleting a post, no. On the other hand, if I had altered the content of the post so that it looked like he posted something that he didn't post, that would be very unethical.

EDuke32 ? wiki ? svn builds ? bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#50

We reserve the right to do whatever we want to our hosted sites, including telling you to replace WordPress with something else because we're sick of it getting infected when you don't update it. :D

It's not like we would deface someone's page. I'll save that for member titles here on the forums.
1

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#51

View PostTerminX, on 14 May 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

I didn't get around to it before he threw a fit about it.


I don't have a problem with deleting a post, no. On the other hand, if I had altered the content of the post so that it looked like he posted something that he didn't post, that would be very unethical.

Both are unethical. Your ethical standards needs some correction. However I got you to say that you don't mind deleting posts. All it takes Is one step over the line, then there is no going back. Question Is are you going to start deleting these forum posts? A little different than editing a web page, however it's still a step over that line.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

-1

User is offline   Mblackwell 

  • Evil Overlord
  • 754

#52

I like how you signed up just so you could shill your own hosting services and say bad things about people you don't know.

Smooth.

Music: The Rejected Applications (listen now)
EDuke32 || EDuke32 Wiki || Latest EDuke32 Snapshots
I'm getting too old for this shit...
0

User is offline   Drek 

  • 1,092

#53

I tried hard not to pry... :)

What happened with usurper to start this mess?
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#54

He didn't want to pay for his own hosting any more.
0

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,654

  #55

View PostRobert Stever, on 14 May 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Both are unethical. Your ethical standards needs some correction. However I got you to say that you don't mind deleting posts. All it takes Is one step over the line, then there is no going back. Question Is are you going to start deleting these forum posts? A little different than editing a web page, however it's still a step over that line.

Sometimes I even delete entire users. :o

EDuke32 ? wiki ? svn builds ? bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 1,053

#56

View PostHendricks266, on 14 May 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

We reserve the right to do whatever we want to our hosted sites, including telling you to replace WordPress with something else because we're sick of it getting infected when you don't update it. :D

The right to do whatever, wow, impressive, didn't know anyone can have whatever rights. Posted Image

Also, if there is anything I can do to make the peace here, let me know!
The more I think about the more I think that maybe a couple of beers, a peace pipe, strippers just might do the trick? Posted Image




The things I don't know could fill libraries.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

0

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#57

View PostMblackwell, on 14 May 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

I like how you signed up just so you could shill your own hosting services and say bad things about people you don't know.

Smooth.

I'm not offering any services. I like how you keep putting words in my mouth. So far I have not said a single word of distaste. As for the other users on this forum that's debatable.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 4,876

#58

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/rtcm/
1

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#59

View PostHendricks266, on 14 May 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:


That's perfectly fine. I'd prefer to have that kind of data in more than one place too.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 14 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

0

User is offline   Robert Stever 

  • 12

#60

View PostHank, on 14 May 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

The right to do whatever, wow, impressive, didn't know anyone can have whatever rights. Posted Image

Also, if there is anything I can do to make the peace here, let me know!
The more I think about the more I think that maybe a couple of beers, a peace pipe, strippers just might do the trick? Posted Image

Beer and a peace pipe would be a service I can offer.
0

Share this topic:


  • 7 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options