Duke4.net Forums: Sky visible through map - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sky visible through map  "Happens along lines in the maps"

User is offline   Nevander 

Not sure if I noticed this before or if it was always there, but this just came to my attention. In some places, if you sit a certain way in a very specific place, you can see the skybox through the map and it always happens long a line on the map. This can happen even while just walking through the map as normal. The following screenshots demonstrate the effect.

In the ducts in E1L4 Toxic Dump:
Attached Image: duke0000.jpg Attached Image: duke0001.jpg

Near the final area in E1L5 The Abyss:
Attached Image: duke0003.jpg Attached Image: duke0004.jpg

There's also this... I have a feeling it's normal but I want to be sure. The door right before the above shots overlaps with itself, as seen below:
Attached Image: duke0002.jpg

I am on EDuke32 version 2.0.0devel r4214. I'm sure it's very old by now. Here's a log file of me starting up EDuke32:
Attached File  log.txt (1.69K)
Number of downloads: 156

And finally here's my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel Core i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz
16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1866MHz Quad Channel Memory
GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5

This post has been edited by Nevander: 08 November 2015 - 05:39 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Grab the newest version of eduke32 and look to see if it's already fixed, if not then find older versions where it did work, then report back with the bug and the number of the newest version of eduke32 that worked properly.

http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

This post has been edited by Drek: 08 November 2015 - 05:44 AM

Just tried the latest 64-bit version from that page and it appears it is still occurring in at least one of those spots. I could not replicate it in the ducts on E1L4 but I could on E1L5. The door thing is also the same. It may have always been this way. Truth be told I can't recall.

User is offline   blizzart 

I´ve never noticed anything like this in polymer before.

Sure it hasn´t anything to do with your AMD video card?

Being AMD I probably wouldn't doubt it but how could I know if it was?

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostNevander, on 08 November 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Being AMD I probably wouldn't doubt it but how could I know if it was?

I´m not sure if it works, but you can try to use the Intel graphics of your i7 instead.

I've confirmed this is only happening in the Polymer renderer. This must be a Polymer bug... another reason not to use it I suppose. Polymost however has a bug that is much worse where you get a "hall of mirrors" effect in places. (i.e looking down into a room from above).

I also noticed this happening in Polymer recently on E2M7. It only happens in Polymer and also only when you've saved/loaded it seems. I don't know of any other locations in the game that do this as of yet.
Attached Image: polymer_bug1.jpg Attached Image: polymer_bug2.jpg

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

This is caused by the maps containing effects (such as swinging doors and spinning lights) set up in a way that introduces invalid geometry. Normally Polymer will simply use the last known good state of the map and not update it to when invalid geometry is created, but this known good information is not included in savegames.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 November 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

This is caused by the maps containing effects (such as swinging doors and spinning lights) set up in a way that introduces invalid geometry. Normally Polymer will simply use the last known good state of the map and not update it to when invalid geometry is created, but this known good information is not included in savegames.

Thank god. I was beginning to think my GRP was fucked up, since I'm using a legit patched GRP from the original CD's.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 November 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

invalid geometry

What qualifies as "invalid geometry" in a Duke map?
Is it a Polymer thing? (If so, then that's another way that Polymer is broken.)
Because Duke maps can have fucked up goofy shit in them and still work.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

A good example of it is when sectors cross over into other sectors.

User is offline   Mark 

That was a recent fix I did for Decay. It only happened after a save but if you operated the door after the save the problem went away. In my case the vertices for a swing door were moved microscopically close to the wall with grid lock turned off. Even though it shouldn't have been an issue, it was. So I moved them another tiny bit away and problem solved.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options