• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Forces  "a proposed TC for Duke 3D, inspired by Dark Forces"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Who's in? The project will need mappers and I might need help ripping sprites.

This low-quality video is NOT Duke Forces, but it shows that I have a pretty good start on making blaster shots look correct in Build polymost.
[DELETED]

The plan is to gather resources and ideas between now and the end of the year, then start serious development early in 2016. I have some other projects to finish up before then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: Below are a couple of videos showing recent progress in this early development stage.

Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Sorry for the negativity in advance, but.

Trooper Dan, on 04 November 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

need help ripping sprites

Here we go again...

User is offline   blizzart 

Sprite Database doesn´t provide any sprites, but sounds an music are available if this helps you.

http://spritedatabase.net/game/1627

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Why not get sprites from a Star Wars-themed PWAD?

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

As I said in my message count me in :) this seems like it will be pretty bad ass. Do you plan to get Star Wars enemies to? I am guessing that's part of the sprites your looking for. I always liked the Dark Forces game and Star Wars more then Star Trek lol so this is a cool idea!

• Duke Plus Developer

Sixty Four, on 04 November 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

As I said in my message count me in :) this seems like it will be pretty bad ass. Do you plan to get Star Wars enemies to? I am guessing that's part of the sprites your looking for. I always liked the Dark Forces game and Star Wars more then Star Trek lol so this is a cool idea!

Yes. It will have mostly Star Wars enemies, weapons and textures, but starring Duke Nukem. I always liked Dark Forces but I think that Star Wars shooters lost something when the protagonists became Jedis. There's no chance that Duke will ever become a Jedi, so it's safe to assume he will be using mostly guns for the action. There are already ZDoom mods that remake Dark Forces (more or less). This is a similar project, but for EDuke32. It's not really a remake, though: the maps would be new, it's got Duke in it, and possibly lots of different features we haven't thought of yet.

MrFlibble, on 04 November 2015 - 06:26 AM, said:

Why not get sprites from a Star Wars-themed PWAD?

That's precisely the sort of "ripping" I was referring to. I didn't mean that it had to be done from scratch.

blizzart, on 04 November 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

Sprite Database doesn´t provide any sprites, but sounds an music are available if this helps you.

Thanks for the link!

User is offline   Cage 

If you want Dark Forces rips

• Duke Plus Developer

Cage, on 04 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Thanks. Jblade linked me to those yesterday. Is there an existing automated process for splitting sprite sheets into separate tiles for each sprite?

EDIT: found a program called Sprite Decomposer which should do the job. Still need to get my hands on the full set from DF which includes all the textures for mapping, though.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

• Turok Nukem

Trooper Dan, on 04 November 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

Also, I didn't get to say this but this pic is quite the bad ass right here! Eduke32 mods are better then doom wads imo probably just because I like Duke more and because I am more used to it though. Anyway, really liking the concept of this though. I am already thinking about moon caverns a deep cave in the moon for a map hehe. I think of my favorite Star Wars movies to like when Luke meets Yoda in that swamp area. lol Duke Skywalker

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 04 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Trooper Dan, on 04 November 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Still need to get my hands on the full set from DF which includes all the textures for mapping, though.

http://realm667.com/...6369#preview-13

User is online   zykov eddy 

If you need some inspiration, I highly recommend checking some Star Wars themed mods:

http://dukertcm.com/...ape-empire.html - excellent level design and great use of Dark Forces textures

http://dukertcm.com/...uke3d/jedi.html

http://dukertcm.com/.../star-wars.html

http://dukertcm.com/...tom-menace.html

• Duke Plus Developer

zykov eddy, on 04 November 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

If you need some inspiration, I highly recommend checking some Star Wars themed mods:

Thanks. I wonder why those screenshots all look so washed-out.

User is offline   Darkus 

There was also this site http://www.df-21.net/ which was the best about Dark Forces modding, including tools needed to extract the textures/sprites, sound/music and other, but it seems to be down :)

hopefully, there still in the wayback archive:
https://web.archive..../www.df-21.net/

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>2000 + 15
>Starting idea threads

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

I suppose it depends on how many maps are wanted to make it worthwhile to compile the code and assets, and then how many quality mappers can be pulled out of limbo to contribute.
The usual suspects for these kinds of projects have been fading away or are just gone. (WilliamG, the oostrums, gambini, M. Sandt, ck3d, among others) - quakis still lurks and released a quality map recently, dukeghostturokdino64whateverthefuck has the appropriate skills - get them and you're maybe 1/3rd the way there.

imo, it should have been started at the begging of this year so it could coincide closer to the release of the new movie for a potential boost in exposure to the general game playing audience.

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

Forge, on 04 November 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

I suppose it depends on how many maps are wanted to make it worthwhile to compile the code and assets, and then how many quality mappers can be pulled out of limbo to contribute.
The usual suspects for these kinds of projects have been fading away or are just gone. (WilliamG, the oostrums, gambini, M. Sandt, ck3d, among others) - quakis still lurks and released a quality map recently, dukeghostturokdino64whateverthefuck has the appropriate skills - get them and you're maybe 1/3rd the way there.

imo, it should have been started at the begging of this year so it could coincide closer to the release of the new movie for a potential boost in exposure to the general game playing audience.

Yeah the timing kind of sucks. However, I believe that Star Wars will continue to be popular for the foreseeable future. If those horrible prequels couldn't kill it, nothing will.

As for mappers, dukeghostturokdino64 is a very good mapper with a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge and I'm very happy to have him on board. I think this project will be relatively easy and straightforward to map for, and once people see some cool stuff they will want to join in the fun. I'd be happy to have some of those Duke Hall of Fame mappers contribute levels, but it's not necessary.

• Duke Plus Developer

Jimmy Gnosis, on 04 November 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

>2000 + 15
>Starting idea threads

User is offline   Player Lin 

Trooper Dan, on 05 November 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

Stormtrooper demonstrate video

Never played Dark Force(since not a fan of Star War), but I would look forward and like to try this mod when it releases.

What happened on Duke's 3rd-person sprite?...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Stormtrooper demonstrate video

H266MOD beat you to the whole red cylinder projectile thing. :)

And it (sort of) worked in 8-bit!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Cool trooper art swap, bro.

User is offline   Mark 

The player shooting ping pong balls at the enemy? A little too politically correct for my tastes. :)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

blizzart, on 04 November 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

Forget the Sprite Database. The Spriters Resource has all the sprites you'd want. Even the sprites of Duke Nukem 3D and Dark Forces.

The Spriters Resource--- Star Wars: Dark Forces

User is offline   Forge 

Flying Techbot, on 05 November 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Forget the Sprite Database. The Spriters Resource has all the sprites you'd want. Even the sprites of Duke Nukem 3D and Dark Forces.

The Spriters Resource--- Star Wars: Dark Forces

That link has already been posted.

Cage, on 04 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'll wait for the George Lucas special edition where you play Jar Jar Binks and have to wait until the enemy takes the first shot.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Dark Forces was awesome. Best in the series. JK and Outcast were half ok because you started out without force powers or a saber, but still its gunplay and level design misses the mark that Dark Forces bull's-eyes by miles. Looking forward to this!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Forge, on 05 November 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

That link has already been posted.
\

My bad. It's good to know there are others here who know of the Spriters Resource.

MusicallyInspired, on 05 November 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

Dark Forces was awesome. Best in the series. JK and Outcast were half ok because you started out without force powers or a saber, but still its gunplay and level design misses the mark that Dark Forces bull's-eyes by miles. Looking forward to this!

Dark Forces, despite the lack of an in-game save feature, certainly is awesome and has great level design. While JK doesn't have the same kind of mission-based levels as DF, it's still closer to DF's design aesthetic than Outcast and Academy. Outcast and Academy may have had more fluid saber/Force combat than JK, but their storylines and design just didn't stand out the same way as DF and JK. A crossover between Duke Nukem and Dark Forces has a whole lot of possibilities in humor and interactivity. I vote for the mod to include Twi'lek strip clubs and stormtroopers squatting on the john.

• Duke Plus Developer

Sixty Four, on 04 November 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Also, I didn't get to say this but this pic is quite the bad ass right here!

Hehe, I have a graphic designer friend who made that in about 15 minutes.

Sixty Four, on 04 November 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

I am already thinking about moon caverns a deep cave in the moon for a map hehe. I think of my favorite Star Wars movies to like when Luke meets Yoda in that swamp area. lol Duke Skywalker

Moon caverns are a go. Spaceship corridors are a go. The barren deserts and seedy clubs of Tatooine are a go. Bespin? Definitely. The lush swamps of Dagobah...not so much...the Build engine is terrible with that kind of environment. Unless you can find a way to make it look good, in which case more power to you :)

Flying Techbot, on 05 November 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I vote for the mod to include Twi'lek strip clubs and stormtroopers squatting on the john.

I vote for that too!

User is offline   Forge 

Trooper Dan, on 05 November 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

The lush swamps of Dagobah...not so much...the Build engine is terrible with that kind of environment. Unless you can find a way to make it look good, in which case more power to you :)

more power to him then.

play his turok maps.

User is offline   MetHy 

[Stormtroopers video]

This is cool but it looks like they're dying in slow motion

I remember some pretty cool Star Wars themed usermap from the mid 90's where you could see some starships in the background that looked really awesome. There is also obviously Boba Fett.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 06 November 2015 - 12:55 AM

• Turok Nukem

Forge, on 04 November 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

dukeghostturokdino64whateverthefuck has the appropriate skills -

Trooper Dan, on 04 November 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

As for mappers, dukeghostturokdino64 is a very good mapper with a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge and I'm very happy to have him on board. I think this project will be relatively easy and straightforward to map for

Thank you very much for kind regards :) and yes that is my name hahah I know its long and hard to pronounce but its appreciated that you guys spelled it right hehe :)

I have a question are we planning to use custom textures? If so I don't want to start making a map yet. After I prepare a few maps for Attrition my weekend is halfway open for mapping. I am going to watch the Empire Strikes back and Ewoks again just for this occasion.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options