Duke4.net Forums: Elevator only going down - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elevator only going down

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have encountered an interesting problem in an addon which I am unable to solve until now. It is about elevators. In some maps of the addon, there are elevators tagged with SE18 "Elevator Down". It all seems to be set up properly, elevator is starting raised and coming down when you press it. However, once you are inside and you want to go back up, it just doesn't work. I also remember a user map that wasn't part of the addon which had the same issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue with other mods or EDuke32 versions recently? I have tried with more recent snapshots, including the latest one (r5384), but I am not sure anyway whether it's something that wasn't done correctly in those maps or not.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostNightFright, on 18 October 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

I have encountered an interesting problem in an addon which I am unable to solve until now. It is about elevators. In some maps of the addon, there are elevators tagged with SE18 "Elevator Down". It all seems to be set up properly, elevator is starting raised and coming down when you press it. However, once you are inside and you want to go back up, it just doesn't work. I also remember a user map that wasn't part of the addon which had the same issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue with other mods or EDuke32 versions recently? I have tried with more recent snapshots, including the latest one (r5384), but I am not sure anyway whether it's something that wasn't done correctly in those maps or not.

Can't say I've had any issues with ST18 (or 19). Is it possible to cut and paste a section of a map with an offending elevator and post it here?

TTFN,
Jon

• The Truth is in here

Sure thing. I isolated the part of the map it concerns and put some replacement textures (which wasn't actually needed, but anyway). The map is E1L3 from "Alien Extermination". There is another with 3 elevators of the same kind which show the same behavior, but I guess if you can figure out what's going on here it's enough for me to fix the others, too.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

As I suspected, the elevator needs an adjacent raised sector to move up to, otherwise how does it know what height to use? Those elevators would never have worked.

View PostNightFright, on 20 October 2015 - 12:21 AM, said:

Sure thing. I isolated the part of the map it concerns and put some replacement textures (which wasn't actually needed, but anyway). The map is E1L3 from "Alien Extermination". There is another with 3 elevators of the same kind which show the same behavior, but I guess if you can figure out what's going on here it's enough for me to fix the others, too.

Ah-ha. Well, elevator goes from one floor to another. Your elevator is in an isolated sector so there is only one floor, so once it has gone down there is no other floor for it to go back to.

Attached is mod that is one way of fixing it.

TTFN,
Jon

[Edit] Dammit, Micky C really is quick on the draw :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by The Mechanic: 20 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

• The Truth is in here

To my defense, I had not messed with these elevators before, they were just the way I found them in this addon. Since it is my task to make non-functional parts of addons I put into the compilation work if possible, I guess this should be part of it.

Thanks for your assistance, guys! Your modification works fine. I will try to put it to good use! Only two maps are concerned anyway, so it shouldn't take too long to implement this. ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostThe Mechanic, on 20 October 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

[Edit] Dammit, Micky C really is quick on the draw :)

When there are threads such as this, I always type up the solution in advance, then wait for another person to start writing a post before submitting Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 20 October 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

When there are threads such as this, I always type up the solution in advance, then wait for another person to start writing a post before submitting Posted Image

(Removes one more entry from Christmas card list .... )

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options