Duke4.net Forums: Website hosting woes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Website hosting woes  "No more .ZIP uploading on Jimdo free... alternatives?"

So, for the past two years I've been using Jimdo free site hosting for my website, and generally been satisfied outside of a nitpick or two. That is, until last night when I went to put up a file I wanted someone to test for me only to discover that uploading .ZIP files (and other archives) is no longer allowed for free accounts. Not a total surprise though not exactly the failing I'd been trying to plan ahead for either.

Anyone well-versed on this stuff have suggestions for better options? Obviously jumping from free host to free host is a losing battle sooner or later, but I'm not too sure about other options at the moment. Given that the pages (and the formerly uploaded files) are intact for now, I'm not in too much of a rush yet.

Considerations:
* Obviously, I'm looking for somewhere I can upload .ZIPs (or better yet, .7Zs but that's another matter)
* I don't need vast gigabytes (let alone terabytes) of storage space. The maps and mods stuff I have up is all for 90s-era (or early 00s-era at the latest) games and everything on the site currently adds up to only 45MB. I had foreseen the 500MB Jimdo free space limit as being enough for a long time. Given the choice between "lots of storage space" and "lots of bandwidth" I would probably pick "lots of bandwidth".
* The Jimdo site builder has been a double edged sword; the ready-made templates are nice but on the whole I'd probably be happy to trade it for something that lets me write up the site HTML directly with full control.
* It has already been suggested that I could use the Jimdo web host just for the web page aspect and link to files on some file locker site. I'm not a huge fan of the idea since file lockers come with their own set of issues usually, but I suppose it's possible if nothing better can be suggested.
* I'm not totally averse to paid hosting if it can get me a good increase on peace of mind that the host's not going to shaft me, but the only options I can really consider on my budget are "free" or "cheap". Upgrading to Jimdo Pro and keeping my current site address would be a $90 lump payment for a year and I find myself harboring doubts if it's really worth that amount to me. I'm not sure if anything reliable can be had for less.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We can hook you up with a Duke4.net subdomain for free. No hard storage or bandwidth limits, and you have full control over your site design.

If you're interested, shoot TX a PM.

Thanks! I will do that.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Was thinking this thread would be something else. Is there some kind of thread about running a forum ?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

If they forbid archive file try an "Exploit.

Like zip your thing to zip or rar.
Change the file type rar to something else like.
zippedfile.zip to zippedfile.hhh

And in description once downloaded remind ppl to change back to zippedfile.zip or rar

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options