Duke4.net Forums: The Annoyances of using Apple TV - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Annoyances of using Apple TV  "Now I know why I don't use Apple anything."

User is offline   Paul B 

Before you can use your Apple TV you need to activate your account using a non Apple TV product. Yep ! This makes sense…. but not really! So I was forced into infecting my computer with Apple's software for the first time. My initial attempt to install I-tunes failed because it wasn’t supported on Microsoft
Windows XP.

So after activating my Apple ID to my I-tunes account on a Windows 7 PC I went back to my Apple TV to rent a movie. My Apple TV wouldn’t rent a movie without my credit card information being entered into my Apple account even though I had a $25.00 credit showing on my I-Tunes account. First off, I would never trust Apple with my credit card information, so I opted to rent a movie from my computer with the intentions of “Air Streaming” or “mirroring” my downloaded rental movie to my Apple TV. Problem is, the download of my rental reached 99.9 percent and was stuck on “"processing file". So after 3 hours of resetting, rebooting and attempting to play my rental movie on my Apple TV from my computer I decided to reach out to Apple for technical support only to find out that their tech support is not available to those customers outside the USA. Yet they have no problems selling you their products over the phone.

At this point I turned to Apple’s online community for help. Apple’s online articles suggested that I check which generation my Apple TV is, since previous generations of the Apple TV didn’t support streaming a rental movie. Apple's first help file indicated the model can be obtained from the bottom of the device. This is a joke, the Apple TV model # is negative 35 point font written in grey letters on a black background & impossible for the human eye to read. I am not sure why their first instructions aren’t just to go to the menu option on the Apple TV --> Settings --> General --> About. But then that would be too convenient.

Since I wasn't able to mirror my I-tunes movie rental to my Apple TV I figured it was because my I-tunes rental was stuck on "processing file" at 99.9% and I could only play this file through I-tunes as it wasn't visible through "Computers" shared media on my Apple TV even though “Home Sharing” was enabled on both Apple-TV and my Computer using the same Apple ID on the same network. So after spending 3 countless hours trying to make the Apple TV work I decided that there was probably a problem with my rental download in my library on my PC which was why it wasn't completely downloading. So I deleted my movie rental from the download folder with the intentions of having I-tunes re download my rental. What Apple fails to tell you is that Apple rentals are a one time download and once downloaded can’t be downloaded again without purchasing a second time.

Should Apple want an intuitive movie rental device that’s functional, drop the mandatory need for I-tunes activations and purchases on a PC and have the entire process handled by the Apple TV itself and in case a download should get corrupt allow the download to be deleted and re-synced during the rental period. This is one bad Apple I won’t be recommending.

Someone needs to bring BlockBuster back! I miss the days where a video rental was as simple as driving to a store. Until then, Pirate Bay still provides an amazing online service.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Compliance for inclusion is getting more and more scary. You are right, something like BlockBuster was simple and convenient, but this is about a self-sustaining market for computers and hardware that has snowballed into absurd territory in my opinion.
So what I learned here is that you aren't their target market with your more than two year old products. :D

Thanks for the post. :D

MrBlackCat

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options