Duke4.net Forums: Duke4.net is dead and here's why... - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke4.net is dead and here's why...  "Why Duke4 has gone down the plug hole."

User is offline   The Albino Ape 

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 15 August 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well when I wrote this, I was completely sober. Sober now as well actually. You see, let me present this in a way you all will understand:

P.S. This is my actual final post. You guys are ridiculous on this site... LOL

Duke Nukem is a dying name. It's shadowed by characters like Master Chief and Marcus Fenix and games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. No one wants arena shooters anymore, and especially games like Duke 3D. Megaton is dead because the devs are lazy, Eduke32 is only used by veteran players, and Meltdown/YANG are obsolete! This community is slowly dying along with it, doesn't anyone here have functioning fucking eyes? Hell even Doom has a bigger community than Duke's and for good reason. I don't care if this community is private or public and I don't care who's had what experience! I'd expect that a community with so few players would at least welcome new members! For Christ's sake, Duke 3D is from 1996 who the fuck wants to play that game unless they grew up with it?

Quake's community is slowly dying as we speak as well but that's a game where you'd expect veterans to bash newbies because the skill gap on Quake is so far out of this world! Duke's skill gap isn't much far from it, but it's not competitive like Quake's is. Hmm, where is Duke Nukem 3D at EVO or E3? Nowhere to be found? Wonder why?? And this website is supposed to be Duke's community? If that's the case, then Duke is fucking doomed...

Maybe you all have different expectations of what a group should look like, but honestly all of your posts are fucking insane!! All I can really gather is "*gurgle gurgle gurgle*" because you guys have the admins' dicks so far down your throats, am I wrong?? You people, I mean vultures, want to come and attack this thread then be my guest! This thread was created to start trouble and you guys helped me complete my mission. You changed my title, defended the admins, and yelled about everything I wanted you to. Thanks guys, great job! Give yourselves a pat on the back and a round of applause! Now, back to the main topic...:

Duke Nukem Forever killed the game's name. That's what you get for having hyped it for 14 years. Overhype KILLS games and even movies, but I'm sure you "smart" individuals figured that out already. Thanks to DNF, Duke 3D was buried along with it. People look at Duke Nukem and say "WTF is this what the franchise was like?? I'm not gonna play anymore Duke games" and that's how it goes kiddies. You can agree or disagree but I'd rather you disagree because it keeps the fire going and I like these nonsensical comments. But anyway, you can say "Duke Nukem is not dead and it's very much alive!" Because then I can laugh in your face and tell you this: DUKE4.NET IS NOT A COMMUNITY!!! As proven by this thread, it's nothing but a gang. A gang of 18-40 year old men talking shit to new players and glorifying each other's miniscule achievements. "OH LOOK, I ORGANIZED A COMMUNITY BUILD PROJECT!! I'M SO SPECIAL!!!" *Clap clap clap* You want a medal or a chest to pin it on? Seriously just because you guys do things from within a "private" forum, doesn't mean you're keeping Duke alive. NEWSFLASH: He's dead. He's been dead since 2011. WAKE UP!!!

Hell if Duke is still alive then I guess I can call this group his life support but really, I think you guys committed malpractice. You cut Duke's heart in two but you don't want to make him seem like he's dead so when people walk by, you just hold up his lifeless corpse and say "Look, he's still alive... SEE?? *Says in deep voice* "I've got balls of steel" SEE?????" and that's Duke4.net in a nutshell. Duke's dead on Steam, he's definitely dead on GOG.com, and the only people left to care about him is this group. Hell I like Duke Nukem, very much, but this group has made me come to HATE him. If this is the group that that roided up, womanizing ass kicker can conjure up, then count me out. Fuck Duke Nukem and fuck this group.

So to this group, and it's sheeple, I say PEACE!!!
Posted Image

Goodbye, President. Let's hope Gerald Ford does a better job.

This post has been edited by Blake: 15 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

User is online   Duke Legacy 

I haven't seen anyone here play duke 3d megaton online, The only two people that I seen is hendricks and micky c, saw henricks before chrismas on winter eps don't think he was having agood day though. also forgot about duke64ghost

seen alot of people on meltdown though agood amount

Duke4 Supporter

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 15 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Duke Nukem is a dying name.

So is yours. Best Wishes, and guess what, I am sober too :D

The things I don't know could fill libraries.

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Well alright then.

btw, Duke has been dead since 2007. Even before that, but that's the last large exodus of the "old school" mappers / modders out of the community and when productivity & player feedback started a sharp decline. It's been continually getting less or just hovering over flat-line every year since. The closing of the 3dr forum in '09 was the headstone on the grave. The only things that kept it around as a zombie were the occasional maps/mods from newbs and the old skoolers that had nothing better to do, the continued development of eduke32, and the Duke4Ever hanger-ons until that got released and flopped.

...just so you know....

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Bah, the community fuckin' tanked around 2001 when Dukeworld just fucking disappeared. And then someone decided that kicking the shit out of it wasn't enough so Totalconversions.com went down too. And then just because someone decided that the world should burn they shut down Planetduke and deleted everything because fuck everyone.

And THEN 3DRealms went away for a bit just in case you weren't sure.

We're here because we want to be. Because we want to talk and make shit, because we like Duke and the things surrounding Duke like mods and the community... not because we give a shit whether the world at large likes it or not. And if you don't want to find your place then you can just fuck right off, because no one really gives a shit.

Music: The Rejected Applications (listen now)
EDuke32 || EDuke32 Wiki || Latest EDuke32 Snapshots
I'm getting too old for this shit...

ah shit I remember duke world been forever since I seen that.

Duke4 Supporter

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

Dead compared to what? Doom aside, there really aren't any other classic FPS games that can have a forum as active as this one. The QuakeOne forum for example is pretty much silent, as far as I can tell Duke's community is more active than Quake's. As far as posting and releasing content goes.

Most popular games from even a few years ago probably don't have a forum talking about it. They just might have a topic somewhere that gets bumped once in a while.

Plus that upcoming Gearbox produced Duke Nukem game will happen sometime, people will talk about that too. And DNF did have a lot of people talking about it and the multiplayer stayed active for a pretty long time too. And Duke3D will always be talked about, right up there with Doom. Duke is alive and well, at least as much as anything else in entertainment I'd say.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 15 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

User is offline   EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT 

• Flutter Faggot

Duke Nukem is a dying name. It's shadowed by characters like Master Chief and Marcus Fenix and games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. No one wants arena shooters anymore, and especially games like Duke 3D.

??? If you think Duke is dead, it's because you're a part of the community and you are desensitized to the Duke Nukem name. Anybody that knows anything about the history of videos games knows that Duke Nukem 3D was one of the best shooters of all time.

Megaton is dead because the devs are lazy, Eduke32 is only used by veteran players, and Meltdown/YANG are obsolete!

For the record, the Yang servers are offline, so yes it is obsolete (unless you want to use it for LAN or VPN gaming). But I'm on Meltdown daily and I don't see you. Of course it's obsolete if you don't actually use the program.

Maybe you all have different expectations of what a group should look like, but honestly all of your posts are fucking insane!! All I can really gather is "*gurgle gurgle gurgle*" because you guys have the admins' dicks so far down your throats, am I wrong?? You people, I mean vultures, want to come and attack this thread then be my guest! This thread was created to start trouble and you guys helped me complete my mission. You changed my title, defended the admins, and yelled about everything I wanted you to. Thanks guys, great job! Give yourselves a pat on the back and a round of applause!

Did you read my earlier post? :D Just so you know, I've received tons of messages from mods about my posting behaviors. I'm not the most liked guy around here either, and I know many others here have also received plenty of stern warnings. Just because people are chill doesn't mean they're in a gang with the admins. Maybe we're just not cry babies.

This actually reminds me of a PM on a forum I used to visit (was taken offline due to massive trolling - site owner wasn't like the admins here for sure). Stuff like this is hilarious:

Posted Image

FREE ROBMAN

This post has been edited by EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT: 16 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMblackwell, on 15 August 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Bah, the community fuckin' tanked around 2001 when Dukeworld just fucking disappeared. And then someone decided that kicking the shit out of it wasn't enough so Totalconversions.com went down too. And then just because someone decided that the world should burn they shut down Planetduke and deleted everything because fuck everyone.

And THEN 3DRealms went away for a bit just in case you weren't sure.

We're here because we want to be. Because we want to talk and make shit, because we like Duke and the things surrounding Duke like mods and the community... not because we give a shit whether the world at large likes it or not. And if you don't want to find your place then you can just fuck right off, because no one really gives a shit.

DN-R kept it together for a bit until it closed down the first time. After coming back online it didn't help any that it kept randomly going offline over the next few years.

I didn't want to go too far back in history, kids aren't interested in the times before they were born or too young to remember..
I wouldn't say Duke is dead, people still make addons for it, people still play it, There might even be future games with Duke in them. Right now though the amount of people who do create and play are pretty limited, so it's just a zombie.

Maybe you all have different expectations of what a group should look like, but honestly all of your posts are fucking insane!! All I can really gather is "*gurgle gurgle gurgle*" because you guys have the admins' dicks so far down your throats, am I wrong?? You people, I mean vultures, want to come and attack this thread then be my guest! This thread was created to start trouble and you guys helped me complete my mission. You changed my title, defended the admins, and yelled about everything I wanted you to. Thanks guys, great job! Give yourselves a pat on the back and a round of applause!

With such a limited gene pool around here there's going to be some personality clashes, and those conflicts are going to stand out more when there's not a crowd to disappear into. Too many big egos and not enough space.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

Millennials don't know what a good game is.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Millennials don't know what a good game is.

Not to nitpick, but a lot of people who played Duke 3D around it's release are millennials. Those generation names are pretty broad ranging.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah Dukeworld's closure fucking sucked. PlanetDuke was never even a shade on that site - I honestly think it just caused a lot of people to up sticks and not bother modding Duke anymore. I still remember checking out Critical Mass' site all the time; there was a ton of neat mods. I mostly just miss the classic mod website where you'd have the sidebar with pages about all the shit a TC replaced. I even remember posting on the Dukeworld forums asking about if vehicles were possibly and Usurper replied saying 'not unless you replace the steroids' or something (in my defence I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time)

good times.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've been around here since 2004, so I never knew Dukeworld or anything.

All I know is that, in 11 years, I feel like DN3D has never been as alive as it's been in the past few years.

I've always tried to estimate the "popularity" of the community by following download counts, which is why I asked Kim to add download counters on DNR a decade ago, I know it's not accurate but it's the only factual playability measure I can think of.

Mods, TCs, standalone games, and even some episodes and maps, get thousands of downloads these days.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 15 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

A gang of 18-40 year old men talking shit to new players and glorifying each other's miniscule achievements. "OH LOOK, I ORGANIZED A COMMUNITY BUILD PROJECT!! I'M SO SPECIAL!!!" *Clap clap clap* You want a medal or a chest to pin it on? Seriously just because you guys do things from within a "private" forum, doesn't mean you're keeping Duke alive.

If you're talking about Duke Hard, you could have joined and made a map.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

The people I have seen in mp that are also on duke4 are turok64jr, mike norvak, radar, mrrumblerose, hendricks, nukemdave, mickyc, forge, hunter0911,davox and myself those are just some names I have seen more frequently. Hehe starcraft played mp to himself so even the poster is added I know methy plays on dukematcher I stalked his photobucket heheh (kidding he showed me a pic so I saw it) hell I even got jimmy to join a dm on foreverdoom awhile back I don't really know who that is on here anymore because names change to much but someone on steam named jimmy. I even seen lunick because norvak invited him I saw Lunick getting blown to smithorines by Norvak(can someone say priceless joking lunick :D)*really did happen heheh was a good day I was watching through my peek hole. Forge I know are encounter didn't last long but you are just a busy person shit happens, I will blow you up again next time xD I don't think mp is the thing in trouble ppl. Sorry if I didn't name you and I saw you on mp to I am drunk and yes I am going to go ahead and blame the drinks <3 heheh xD inserts pony can radar be able to edit my posts since hes filled with empathy? Also there are a lot of Dukers who don't attend this forum who also play mp its not that they are avoiding necessarily, its in most cases they haven't heard of or are simply uninterested in talking on forums. Mp is doing okay :D

Dinosaur Hunter

Turok Forums

View PostMetHy, on 15 August 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

All I know is that, in 11 years, I feel like DN3D has never been as alive as it's been in the past few years.

I've always tried to estimate the "popularity" of the community by following download counts, which is why I asked Kim to add download counters on DNR a decade ago, I know it's not accurate but it's the only factual playability measure I can think of.

Mods, TCs, standalone games, and even some episodes and maps, get thousands of downloads these days.

I played amap from duke die hard the one with the startcase at the start played it with mrrumblesroses and duke64ghost I really like that map

Duke4 Supporter

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 16 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 16 August 2015 - 12:21 AM, said:

I played amap from duke die hard the one with the startcase at the start played it with mrrumblesroses and duke64ghost I really like that map

It's Forges map on Duke hard you speak of "Eat The Rich"
But Methy did construct Duke Hard

Dinosaur Hunter

Turok Forums

That the one good map it is

Duke4 Supporter

User is online   TerminX 

• el fundador

Holy shit, this thread delivers.

#ZergLivesMatter

EDuke32 wiki svn builds bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMetHy, on 15 August 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yeah, I first played DN3D back in 1996 but didn't actually join the community until 2006 (and released my first map in 2008) so I never got to experience the golden age of Duke modding. Makes me sad.

User is online   Mark. 

• Honored Donor

I didn't jump on this bandwagon until 2009. I was wondering. Were there a lot more con coders back in the good old days? I don't know if this is just a phase or a trend but it seems like more people are mapping only. Not as many mods.

User is offline   DustFalcon85 

Gaylo is dead.
Call of Doody is dead.
Queers of War is dead.
Buttlefield is dead.

The regen health, linear levels, checkpoints, no cheats, two weapon limit, the photo realistic graphics, maybe even achievements, XP and prestige is dead.

Time to choose another game or hobby StarCraftZergling

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hell, even I was thinking of making a map for Duke Hard at one point. I'm as outside of things as you can get without actually falling off the edge. Put a turkey in that tin foil hat and get some real use out of it.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 August 2015 - 05:01 AM

• Evil Overlord

View PostMark., on 16 August 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

I didn't jump on this bandwagon until 2009. I was wondering. Were there a lot more con coders back in the good old days? I don't know if this is just a phase or a trend but it seems like more people are mapping only. Not as many mods.

There were more CON coders yes. Not a huge amount but many more than there are now. There were also a lot more mappers (I know it seems like there's a lot, but there were a LOT), and additionally a ton of pixel artists. It was pretty easy to get a project started because you could find people to work with. It took months after Dukeworld shut down for everyone to reorganize and find people again and they discovered that half of the folks were missing. I did know quite a few people that (like was implied by James) just quit when Dukeworld was gone one day, people that had just announced some really neat projects and suddenly didn't even have access to some of their materials or ways of communicating with team members.

User is online   Mark. 

• Honored Donor

Wow, that must have really sucked. Yeah, there must have been tons of mappers. I remember buying a cd that had maybe 500 maps and mods on it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I'd also say though that now most coders are also mappers (maybe with the exception of Dan, but I think if he tried he'd be good at it) whereas back in the day most of the time people just picked one thing and focused on that. Our community naturally dwindling means that being good at several things is more important if you want to get things done.

I think we're at a reasonably good place though, people drift in and out but we still get new releases even if we don't pull the kind of numbers that stuff like Brutal Doom does. DNF2013 did get a decent amount of coverage which is always good, I'm hoping AMC TC ep2 does get a few more reviews down the road as well. DukeHard was a great success as well. I think our strongest aspect is that we very rarely get people announcing projects anymore, people just get to work and release them when they're done which I feel is infinitely preferable to how I've seen mods handled in the Doom community (no offence guys) where people make announcement topics with only about 1% of the work done.

And also the Eduke32 team are still doing good stuff, and they deserve a pat on the back because I've seen plenty of coders get really shitty with requests and there's very little of that here unless you're unpleasant or rude.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

User is offline   EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT 

• Flutter Faggot

This is the first time I've ever received any insight into what Dukeworld actually was. I mean, I knew it was big, but I didn't know it was this big. Was the site owner(s) known by the community? Did they let people know ahead of time that the site was being closed? Did anybody try to contact him/them after the site went down? Or was he/they generally unknown among the community and everything just disappeared in a second?

FREE ROBMAN

This post has been edited by EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT: 16 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

• Evil Overlord

Literally I logged on one night and was posting on the forums and the next day it was gone.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

I remember Dukeworld fondly. So many TCs and mods available. I even started a Matrix TC at some point. And by started I mean made one map of the dojo and did nothing else. After that came Die Hard TC, which Dukeworld turned down hosting for because I had no maps just a bunch of ripped CS graphics. I did get hosted on another site. It might have been totalconversions.com. That was shortlived iirc.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2016 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options