Duke4.net Forums: Good lesser-known user maps - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good lesser-known user maps

User is offline   Anvil 

  • 23

#1

I would like to recommend some decent single player user maps, which aren't available on the main review sites:

The Return, Goldmine, The Sub Shop, Toys 'R' Killers and Vonz.
5

User is offline   Blue Lightning 

  • 28

#2

Are any of these Vanilla?

"Stunticons, merge to become...Men-a-sor..." - Motormaster
0

User is offline   Mark 

  • Honored Donor
  • 2,822

#3

Only the first one has extra art. The rest are just maps.
0

User is offline   zykov eddy 

  • 896

#4

The Return and Toys 'R' Killers are pretty damn good.
0

User is online   PsychoGoatee 

  • 494

#5

Anybody know if there's an easy way to get Return's TILES014.ART and TILES015.ART displaying when playing in eduke? More of a general question. Tried putting them into a folder the game has selected for custom data, the textures didn't display when playing the map. Got the ol' abyss of craziness no texture floor there.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 09 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

0

User is offline   LeoD 

  • 488

#6

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 09 August 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

Anybody know if there's an easy way to get Return's TILES014.ART and TILES015.ART displaying when playing in eduke? More of a general question. Tried putting them into a folder the game has selected for custom data, the textures didn't display when playing the map. Got the ol' abyss of craziness no texture floor there.
Put them into your CWD, alongside eduke32.exe and duke3d.cfg.
(I've always wondered why no one ever implemented to treat/search them like other game files.)
1

User is online   PsychoGoatee 

  • 494

#7

View PostLeoD, on 10 August 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Put them into your CWD, alongside eduke32.exe and duke3d.cfg.(I've always wondered why no one ever implemented to treat/search them like other game files.)

Thanks, that fixed it. I'll keep a separate eduke folder around for maps with their own replacement tiles etc.
0

User is offline   Anvil 

  • 23

#8

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 10 August 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

I'll keep a separate eduke folder around for maps with their own replacement tiles etc.

If you do so, it will cause a mess: every map's art file affects the other maps in the folder, too.
Besides, custom tiles014.art, for instance, is used with many user maps, so you can't put them in the same folder.
What you should do is extract them to the game directory and either delete them after playing or change their names: the first art file to mapname_00, the second to mapname_01, etc. (in this case: change tiles014 to return_00 and tiles015 to return_01) more details here.
Another option: put the zip file into the game directory, make a batch file and type in it: eduke32 /gfilename.zip (for example: for redlight.zip type eduke32 /gredlight.zip)

This post has been edited by Anvil: 10 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

0

User is online   PsychoGoatee 

  • 494

#9

View PostAnvil, on 10 August 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

If you do so, it will cause a mess: every map's art file affects the other maps in the folder, too.Besides, custom tiles014.art, for instance, is used with many user maps, so you can't put them in the same folder.What you should do is extract them to the game directory and either delete them after playing or change their names: the first art file to mapname_00, the second to mapname_01, etc. (in this case: change tiles014 to return_00 and tiles015 to return_01) more details here.Another option: put the zip file into the game directory, make a batch file and type in it: eduke32 /gfilename.zip (for example: for redlight.zip type eduke32 /gredlight.zip)

Yep yep, I know those tile files would replace them for every map. I have like 10 different eduke32 folders at the moment, since they're so small I just keep making copies of it. :D Not the most elegant way to do it, but yep I'd delete the tiles when I finish a custom level etc. I just put them in another directory in case I forgot to or something. Thanks for the info on options there.

I did appreciate the framed Lemmy and Iron Maiden posters in Return, good taste there.
0

User is offline   LeoD 

  • 488

#10

View PostAnvil, on 09 August 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

I would like to recommend some decent single player user maps, which aren't available on the main review sites
Finally played them. New to me except The Return. Good maps. Thanks for sharing.
0

User is offline   Nancsi 

  • 388

#11

I don't think Goldmine is that unknown, but the others are new to me.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 15 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

0

User is offline   DotK3D 

  • 90

#12

Hello,

I have played the 5 five maps (all in difficulty 3, at least half of secrets founds, the 5 were unknown to me), just my 2 cents :

- The Return : a city map with big areas to fight (few 'decorations' in it to move easily) but nothing really interesting in my opinion, including the additional art files (the gymnasium was something I haven't seen before to be positive).

- The Goldmine : interesting design and ambiance. I think it was a really pleasant one. The plot (in the text file) is really fun ^^.

- The Sub Shop : good level design I think and ambiance. It was also pleasant to play it. Only one thing, I had difficulty to trigger the "surprise whose magnitude has never been seen before in the world of Duke" and a rising floor with two key-cards on it, still you can use the key-cards. I have been stuck sometimes, but it was just because I had not paid attention to details :).

- Toys 'R' Killers : A big map which really tell a story by itself (a toys plant run by aliens). Good ambiance, level design and hard fights but some minors problems (difficulties to pass trough a hole i.e.). I have also found some visual glitches due to rotating doors intersecting sectors (If I am correct). Lots of light switches, don't stay in the dark ^^. The best of the five in my opinion.

- Vonz : A short map with really narrow places. The design is... weird, like a mini-city (a 'street ring' with two trucks running around the starting hub and shops on the circumference). As the first one, nothing really hold my attention, except the 'squish room'.

Bye and thanks for sharing and thanks to the authors,
DotK3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 22 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options