Duke4.net Forums: DukeEd, pressuring gearbox? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DukeEd, pressuring gearbox?  "Duke Nukem Forever modding capability, Unreal Editor (DukEd)"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The Id that we all knew and loved was over some time ago. Carmack leaving was just the tombstone on the pile of dirt.

One thing that was mentioned several times about the tools for RAGE was that creating megatexures for an entire level would require an Uber PC. it was thought for some time that most users just wouldn't be able to run it at all, let alone get their head around the new workflow.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostDavoX, on 16 August 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

Tools are meant to be released WITH the game while people are still excited.

Not necessarily, if the game wasn't forgotten so quickly maybe there would still be interest in modding.
I don't even know how I managed to play some multiplayer matches early this year after finishing the campaign... no one plays online anymore when I try to connect.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Something that really made dnf hurt was its level design and checkpoint system. Some of the levels had very cool stuff it was just the layout and how you go about beating them that was at times horrible as modern days. Make new levels with no checkpoints and enemies that are always there instead of waves in certain areas with music to kill the suspense you suddenly have a really nice Duke. I still wish the tools would come out.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Never happen. Stop dreaming. You'll only make it worse.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I'm not to worried about it actually, I am still playing the game(yes I admit that, even if ppl don't understand lol) because mp is still popular on the daily. Its pretty weird how a game scores so low and is hated on so much yet it has more ppl playing the mp then most "classic fps" games combined. I mean full matches everyday not all day but everyday at different times. But it would be pretty cool still, I see it as a hope rather then a dream. Yet wouldn't care if it didn't see the light.

Here is a few screens from recent games I had on it just in case any specific individual thinks I am pulling there sleeves heheh. Now I don't play much anymore and would rather play DN3D anyday but I spend most of my time in various mapping programs. Its quite sad when the terrible horrible dnf has more players then some of the higher rated games that came out either after or around the same time. Of course games that aren't named cod or halo. If we could make maps to play dm or sp on that would be huge but i'm not crying over this argghhhh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Post64Ghost, on 23 August 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

I'm not to worried about it actually, I am still playing the game(yes I admit that, even if ppl don't understand lol) because mp is still popular on the daily. Its pretty weird how a game scores so low and is hated on so much yet it has more ppl playing the mp then most "classic fps" games combined. I mean full matches everyday not all day but everyday at different times. But it would be pretty cool still, I see it as a hope rather then a dream. Yet wouldn't care if it didn't see the light.

Here is a few screens from recent games I had on it just in case any specific individual thinks I am pulling there sleeves heheh. Now I don't play much anymore and would rather play DN3D anyday but I spend most of my time in various mapping programs. Its quite sad when the terrible horrible dnf has more players then some of the higher rated games that came out either after or around the same time. Of course games that aren't named cod or halo. If we could make maps to play dm or sp on that would be huge but i'm not crying over this argghhhh.

I think in a nutshell, if you keep playing it, it's not a terrible horrible game. I can't quite tell if you're saying "terrible horrible DNF" as a joke, in reference to how other people see the game. It's obviously not horrible and terrible to you if you're playing it years later, and choose to keep playing it.

I can answer why more people are playing DNF than a lot of other shooters. Because it's damn good! I love it. (Subject to personal taste of course, I know a lot of people on here do hate it). But there's nothing to "admit" as you put it, it's a game like any other, and personally it's a game I very much enjoy.

As for the no checkpoints in user levels thing, I can see why people would like that option. Maybe that'll come up in Doom 4, I know a lot of Doom players like to start over when they die. Personally, I quicksave a lot anyway, so checkpoints are actually less often than I would have been saving anyway, so it doesn't change anything for how I play.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 23 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I'm not hate DNF, I just too lazy to replay the whole game again, after I started my "Damn, I'm good" run and got my ass kicked so hard on the Alien Queen Boss and stuck on there like forever... :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

I've never played the whole game through a second try. The goofy tone and dialog and the lack of freedom ruins it. I do my own edit of the game by just playing certain levels in an order I like and turning off the dialog when I know a bad NPC section is coming up. I also limit ammo box use unless absolutely necessary. I'm on PS3 so to avoid the lengthy load times when I die, I switch on invincibility and pretend I used a med pack. If I don't do it fast enough, I die the normal way and pay for it. Sad and complicated set up, but this remedy makes me play the game a couple times a year. Oh yeah, and I just blast my own Duke OST from my computer while playing to fix the music problem I had with the game.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

DNF has a lot of issues - and I mean a LOT of issues. Some are technical, a lot are some really bad design decisions. MP was fun, but again, problems with net code abounded.

I think the real reason people wanted mod tools was to 'remake' DNF in their own style, of what they thought it should be.
Some people just wanted to play with a new engine. BUILD is great, but you can only do so much with it.

The worst thing is that we were promised these tools from day one. Nobody has had the courtesy to even mention why they weren't released. Not a peep.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options