Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I believe the developers have said that they don't want to see IM's assets used elsewhere before the official release of the game.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostPhredreeke, on 26 April 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

I believe the developers have said that they don't want to see IM's assets used elsewhere before the official release of the game.

But the game has 2 releases already. Anyway I am ok if they just don't want.

EDIT: I would aim for light effects sprites. As I want to keep Duke Nukem 3D style and I pick textures accurately.

This post has been edited by brullov: 26 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Are Voidpoint/Kill Pixel/3D Realms going to be at PAX West?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postbrullov, on 26 April 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

But the game has 2 releases already. Anyway I am ok if they just don't want.

EDIT: I would aim for light effects sprites. As I want to keep Duke Nukem 3D style and I pick textures accurately.

A demo and a single level doesn’t really count as a release.

Keep in mind that IM is a brand new commercial game. People generally overlook ripping assets from old games like Doom for a free mod, but that’s the thing; those games are really, really old.

if it's something generic like light effects then maybe someone could make an equivalent sprite? what did you have in mind?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

We're not really keen on giving away assets that cost us time and money to produce when we haven't even had a chance to make our own back proper.

You are free to play around and manufacture content for IM if you want to (File formats aren't anything too complex to figure out) but currently that is all the "support" we can give on that matter.

User is offline   Master O 

How about this, then?

Anyone who wants to use IM's assets should wait 6 months or more after the game's full release.

Seems sensible enough.

I'm not sure what he's asking for would even be useful for his mod, given that IM has its own palette.

User is offline   Jblade 

oasiz just said they're not going to give away assets, they're under no obligation to allow people to use anything contained in the game. his word (being that he's working on the game) is final.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

If you don't own the game, any downloaded rom^H^H^H map has to be removed within 24hrs of downloading from your hard drive!

No but seriously, we're not going to give time frames or anything on that. I doubt in 10 years we're going to care that much, being modders ourselves and all.
But think about it, would you want your game to be picked apart and your hard work that you've spent more than 4 years on to be slapped in to unrelated doom/duke mods without any compensation? Including assets like that could even be viewed as a subset of piracy but let's not go there.

I'm all for sharing and such but we're talking about a game that we've invested quite a bit of our own salary and a huge amount of time and dedication; i.e. I just spent a month of "vacation" from work, practically locked inside working 12hrs days just to get progress the game and I'm not alone in the team. This is not to summon a violin in to this conversation but just to tell that this stuff is way past a freebie <_<

I think we can do better than Nintendo or various Duke/etc.. projects that have been killed over the years but this is way too early to tell.
People are more than welcome to use assets in a way that requires a legal copy of the full game. This can be done with installers/patchers and whatnot.
We will fully support creating mods against IM and of course and we do not plan making any of the asset usage harder, except for the current previews to exactly mitigate asset ripping before we even get a chance to show them ourselves proper. Bottom line: We just don't believe the near future is the time to give those away for free.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

If you don't want to wait to rip IM assets, go rip Duke3d World Tour art and assets to put in your mod for people to use without the need to own WT.

Let me know how that works out for you.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Wow, I just came here to ask for the light effects. Asked, got refuse and moved further, no need to bring it on the red line.

Yeah, I think that paid early access is kind of release, no need to persuade me.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

That comment wasn't directed at you anymore.

User is offline   Loke 

Nice, my Ion Maiden video just reached 50k views.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMicky C, on 26 April 2019 - 10:43 PM, said:

A demo and a single level doesn’t really count as a release.

Keep in mind that IM is a brand new commercial game. People generally overlook ripping assets from old games like Doom for a free mod, but that’s the thing; those games are really, really old.

I think the quality is what matters to copyright holders, not the age. You know, Mickey Mouse was created 90 years ago, and it’s still under Disney’s copyright for 5 more years and they still use it for more cash grabs. When a mod is just a lousy shit, with weak ripoffs from various games, copyright holders won’t care. But if something looks good enough to get major attention, the cease and desist message arrives. We know what happened to many efforts, like HTK collection. Or look what happened to Super Mario Bros’ faithful remake on the C64, Nintendo repeated the Giana sisters story. Believe me, Randy would step in immediately if he detects a competent product with any of these “reaaly, really old” Duke assets. Lousy and overrated Doom mods, he gives no shit.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Has nothing to do with quality or length, it's about "will it make profit or cause loss of profits that we should've had"
Mickey is an iconic character that will undoubtedly make you more money no matter where you put it, be it spaceballs toilet paper. You don't have to look further than chinese knockoff market to understand the value of an IP in a product.

Copyrights are messed up since humanity hasn't had to really deal with this before: Something hugely popular and easily copied that everyone knows and can generate you / your family stable, easy money even after multiple generations.
I don't think a form of entertainment / IP really rose to this scale of popularity before, we will be having this exact same issue with pacman / mario / etc.. down the line.
You would of course want to clench your teeth in to this revenue stream and protect it.
I think there are certain limitations on how far this can go and I doubt in case of IM we (and many other projects) will give two fucks what happens in 10 years and nice remixing is probably the best respect you can give to an old product.

User is offline   Mark 

I'll talk to TeaMonster later today to start plans for IMR. Ion Maiden Rethinked. It will probably take 10 years to reproduce all the assets in 3D models. <_<

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I imagine many of the assets are already 3D models.

User is offline   Mark 

Hmm... I don't have the game. I must not have been paying attention while watching vids. I assumed it was old school sprites.

This post has been edited by Mark: 28 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

https://3drealms.com...art-ion-maiden/

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Not sure if it was suggested before, but could you guys add "new game" in the options during playthrough like in Duke? Kind of tedious when you have quit to the menu so you could start from the beginning again or to play a different episode.

While I'm at it, noticed a problem with double chaingun, or rather with the left chaingun sprite (it looks like the upper side of the sprite wasn't completely cleaned or something so "background" is not totally transparent and there is a line-leftover).
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 04 May 2019 - 03:43 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

That's a known rendering error, will be fixed. Also happens elsewhere too every now and then. Thanks for the heads up though.

Is there any ETA on this game's release? We're now well into Q2 2019. Merely curious.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

No

WHEN IT’S DONE

ALWAYS BET ON SHELLY

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The game is very close to completion. But honestly it's still tight for beta testing, so we probably will push it for the end of Q2.

View PostFox, on 06 May 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

The game is very close to completion. But honestly it's still tight for beta testing, so we probably will push it for the end of Q2.

Last day of Q2? <_<

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 06 May 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

WHEN IT’S DONE

ALWAYS BET ON SHELLY

Please God no.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Will save that kind of talk for the sequel. Bombshell Forfuckssake...

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostZaxx, on 10 May 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

Please God no.

Well, at least you have something to play and it's already better than Forever.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options