Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Maisth 

I nominated it "Best Alternate History"

I hope someone seriously gets it...

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  napo.png (394.66K)
    Number of downloads: 55

User is offline   VGA 

I selected Ion Maiden for best VR game, fingers crossed!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDavoX, on 21 November 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure oasiz knows the importance of it. I think he meant "it's just a screenshot" in the sense that there's no other material with it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 November 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

And that it wasn't indicative of them having found the source models.

I know.

View PostMaisth, on 21 November 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Awesome! I dig it.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I guess I get it too Unless my silly English grammar strike back on me again :rolleyes:...Too bad I already nominated IM for GOTY one, a game cannot nominated twice. :D

I do
On so meany levels :rolleyes:

I don't take the Steam awards that serious
I tend to just fill them out for the exp

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 04 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

I put 'Hunt Down The Freeman' for GOTY.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Too far, man. Too far.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Posted Image

User is offline   Hawke 

It's looking good!

• The Sarien Encounter

I want to plaaaaaaaay.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 09 December 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

Cubez Outlaw sounds like a cool movie.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMaster O, on 09 December 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

I read "Cyber Outlaw" there. :)

• The Sarien Encounter

Pretty sure he's knows that and was just joking.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Loving the colors. So awesome.

There is a new dev blog out.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKristian Joensen, on 13 December 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

There is a new dev blog out.

It's funny to read that, because for the most part, it's talking about various features of EDuke32 modding that have been implemented in various mods for many years, whlle making it sound like they were developed specifically for Ion Maiden. Some of the things I actually learned from the Ion Maiden guys like 10 years ago, and they were already using them in their projects. I guess for promotional purposes it sounds better to imply it's all new; the average person who hasn't played a Build game in 20 years won't know the difference.

EDIT: I should point out that some things have only been possible to do recently, and some things can be implemented better now than in the old days. Headshots for example: now that we have tiledata acces in CON (added a few years back) you can calculate the height of a headshot on a specific enemy without resorting to hardcoded numbers.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 13 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

3D Realms is one of those companies that can type up five or six pages of shit and say nothing.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy 4k, on 13 December 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

3D Realms is one of those companies that can type up five or six pages of shit and say nothing.

The article is definitely saying something, it's just funny if you know more about the context -- Mblackwell writing about "new" IM features that he's had in his own EDuke32 projects going back 10 or 12 years :)

User is offline   Mark 

Jimmy: That means they have a bright future in politics.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Most of the stuff was written by me, I picked the topics and mblackwell filled in many technical bits. 3DR itself has no say in the content really, just to clarify this.

If you have modded for eduke for years then a lot of the stuff will probably be familiar indeed. Everything that is there can more or less be done by anyone, and a lot has been done over the years.
I would say a major difference is that we started all CON from scratch, also replacing some stock functions with redone versions. Meaning we could approach some issues with less worry about legacy compatibility. Quite a bit of work goes there.
One goal with these blogs aside from the obvious extra exposure is to introduce some of the features and challenges of using an older engine choice to more of the general public and i think it works pretty well for that.

Most of all, these get done as a labor of love and was something we suggested to do. Having worked on this since 2015(four years soon), its become quite a dear project and we have quite a bit to say :)
Regarding length,
You should have seen the 3d blog entry befoere i started trimming it.
Also I would be awful in politics.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postoasiz, on 14 December 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

... stuff
You should have seen the 3d blog entry befoere i started trimming it.
Also I would be awful in politics.

I've seen the blog on Steam, a while ago. All I want to say: Many thanks for all Voidpoint's hard work to make this IM work in Build/EDuke32 :)

Merry Christmas; and a very, very, very happy 2019 :(

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Sorry jimmy and zaxx but you can take your romance subplot elsewhere now.

EDIT: And I mean it.

User is offline   NNC 

This game will look like Duke looked back in 1996.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 December 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

The article is definitely saying something, it's just funny if you know more about the context -- Mblackwell writing about "new" IM features that he's had in his own EDuke32 projects going back 10 or 12 years :)

Someone who knows how Build works inside out isn't the target audiance for this article though. I didn't write this but I believe part of the point was also to say "all these things you've been taking for granted since Half-Life came out, we kinda have to incorporate them ourselves from scratch", and I don't know if that's what you're implying, but I don't believe anyone has copy-pasted anything from their mods into IM.
Also I believe part of the point of this blog entry is to explain to people that each Build dev has had to make its own effects and how they're made. It might seem like an obvious thing to you, but considering the widespread belief that "Build was updated with RoR for SW/Blood", people might think that any effect used in later Build games were made on the engine side, and by analogy, that IM can use any of those without having to work on them.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 15 December 2018 - 01:03 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I was simply making the point that a lot of the things talked about in the article have been around for a long time, thanks to Eduke32. I don't object to the article at all.

View PostMetHy, on 15 December 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

and I don't know if that's what you're implying, but I don't believe anyone has copy-pasted anything from their mods into IM.

If anything was copy-pasted, it was probably very general function type of stuff -- like math and physics calculations. Maybe certain other things where it made sense to do so, and there's nothing wrong with that. Porting over code you wrote that performs a general function is nothing like copy-pasting part of a map.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm dreaming about a blog post on how they solved EDuke32's frame pacing and vsync issues. :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 December 2018 - 03:29 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. I love this signature from Jimmy:

Zaxx threatened to murder me in a PM.

:)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 December 2018 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

We weren't supposed to shitpost in this thread any further, I'm fuckin reporting your post m8.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Sure, trooper!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostZaxx, on 15 December 2018 - 03:29 AM, said:

I'm dreaming about a blog post on how they solved EDuke32's frame pacing and vsync issues. :)

Game plays fine on my new 165Hz G-SYNC monitor.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options